Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
DIY instructions. 1. Cut purchased aluminium sheet to 34 1/4” by 4 3/4”. 2. Drive passport onto ramps. 3. Fight with lower bumper cover, clips and mounting hardware. 4. Install grill insert and secure into place with small black zip ties. 5. Fight with lower bumper cover, clips and mounting hardware.
6. Never worry about rocks or debris messing up your AC condenser.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I like the bling from the aluminuim. Also I don’t have to worry about the paint chipping or peeling in the future. Over time the grill insert will darken to a dull grey. I’ve done a similar insert on my 07 Element.

·
Registered
29 Posts
By "Fight with lower bumper cover, clips and mounting hardware" do you mean that you have to remove it to attach the insert?

Also any details on what specifically you ordered to fabricate it and from where? Any concern about reduced airflow?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
By "Fight with lower bumper cover, clips and mounting hardware" do you mean that you have to remove it to attach the insert?

Also any details on what specifically you ordered to fabricate it and from where? Any concern about reduced airflow?
Some clarification... The bumper assembly was accessed from underneath, removing plastic clips and hardware to gain access. The job took about 2.5 hours from start to finish. I ended up removing 2 plastic air dam shields with multiple plastic faster clips and bolts. I removed the right plastic clip of the air channel that fastens to both sides near the condenser, leaving the left side clip in place. That clip was very tricky to access. I was then able to squeeze my fabed up grill insert into place from behind. Using a small pick, the grill was positioned into place and carefully secured using small zip ties. I measured twice (the grill opening ) and cut once for a perfect fit. As for metal sheet that I purchased came from a metal supply store called Metal Supermarkets, in London Ontario. Most local metal supply stores will carry something similar but maybe not the same. Look for aluimunm, its light weight and won't rust. After double checking my measurements (34 1/4” by 4 3/4”) I went ahead and cut the sheet with a grinder with a metal disc. Aluminium is pretty soft and actually cuts real easy with the grinder, no sparks and an easy clean up. No real concern for reduced air flow, the upper grill is still stock and allows ample air flow through the condenser and rad. The lower grill insert has tones of holes to allow air flow, and after road testing her today I can confirm no change in engine temp pre and post grill insert on a long hard drive. The passport lower grill has a large opening, a rock, debris and bug magnet that will also reduce air flow when plugged or damaged. With the insert I know the condenser will be safe, and clean for good air flow. Hope this helps. I have also posted a side view in pictures.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would like to do this Grill Protector project...How thick is the aluminum??? What exactly is the aluminum called, " "perforated" ???? Can it be purchased at a hardware store??? How big of sheet did it come in that you need to buy??? THANK YOU, larryd

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I would like to do this Grill Protector project...How thick is the aluminum??? What exactly is the aluminum called, " "perforated" ???? Can it be purchased at a hardware store??? How big of sheet did it come in that you need to buy??? THANK YOU, larryd
Hi larryd. The aluminium sheet purchased is 1/16 inch thick and was cut to 4 x 5 feet by the metal supply store. I was originally looking at wire mesh sheet of aluminium, the supplier only had the material that I used. Not sure if this item could be found at a hardware store. Your best bet would be a local metal supply location. Sometimes they have pre cut items at a discount, since you would only need it cut to 34 1/4" by 4 3/4" for an exact fit. I have since updated my daily driver a 07 Element with newly installed grill insert as well. The extra material would be used for future projects. Hope this helps.
element grill.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did a similar thing to my old 2007 Odyssey (traded up to the Passport). They were known for letting debris in, later models had more protection. I purchased a section of aluminum gutter guard (to keep leaves out) from Home Depot for about $2.00. I trimmed it to size and attached it with zip ties, much like the examples above. It didn't rust and my van was gray, so it blended in just fine. I cannot find a photo of it, sorry.

·
Registered
363 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
I did the plastic roll of gutter guard. I did a steel section for the lower section trimmed out with door edge guard but didn’t like it.
BE1EB6B6-8D8F-436F-AEC9-A94388C81E7C.jpeg
22B86513-BCA9-4FCD-BF07-32684B60C35C.jpeg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts