Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have complained to my dealer about how my ACC doesn't seem to function until I am close to the car ahead of me and then suddenly hits the brakes. If I am going 65 and the Buick ahead of me is going 50, my Passport doesn't anticipate the difference until I close in on the slower moving car, then the brakes come on. My dealer says this is normal and others have complained about this before. (None of us have heard this before). Yesterday I thought I was going to get an up close view of the inside of the tailpipe of a school bus. Yep, a big yellow school bus. I manually hit the binders and the ACC didn't react.

Now my Ford F-150 is flawless in maintaining the proper distance before braking is necessary. In fact, many time I'm not aware I've even slowed behind that Buick.

Anyone else have similar experiences with their ACC. I'm going back to the dealer and try again.
Mike

·
Registered
338 Posts
I noticed yesterday when I had my left blinker on that the passport did not notice a car that was low to the ground was right next to me. Luckily, I always visually look and saw the car but the passport did not pick up.
I try to stay far away from any school bus. The news lately have depicted some of the school bus drivers crazy.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm extremely unimpressed with it. It is not smooth at all. I use standard bruise mode, and even it is not as smooth as I want and slow to respond to up or down speed commands. Le Sigh.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Any chance the ACC (LKAS, lane departure warning, auto-breaking, etc...) behavior can be altered via a future firmware upgrade or are we just stuck with Honda's poor implementation until we sell or the lease ends? I believe all of these systems could use refinement.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The ACC in my 18 Accord has improved so much since i first got the car in September 2018. Honda has released updates over time to improve the system. Right now i would say my Accord ACC is flawless.
My Elite Passport on the other hand..... Yeah, its sub-par, mediocre , and down right unacceptable. BUT, and its a big BUT, i know there should be updates coming in the future that should improve the system performance. Luckily our cars have OTA (over the Air) update support, so if an update is released, you wouldn't need to visit the dealer. :sneaky:

Reactions: gwar9999

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm extremely unimpressed with it. It is not smooth at all. I use standard bruise mode, and even it is not as smooth as I want and slow to respond to up or down speed commands. Le Sigh.
Killing the variable cylinder management makes it smooth out. At steady moderate (freeway) speeds it hunts in and out of VCM mode. The slightest need to get on the gas...6cyl. The slightest backoff...3cyl. Over and over.

VCM is the worst thing Honda has ever done. I disabled it on my PP.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Killing the variable cylinder management makes it smooth out. At steady moderate (freeway) speeds it hunts in and out of VCM mode. The slightest need to get on the gas...6cyl. The slightest backoff...3cyl. Over and over.

VCM is the worst thing Honda has ever done. I disabled it on my PP.
Im prettty sure you cant disable it. But if youre right, and we can, can you share? I want to try

·
Registered
124 Posts
Vcmtuner.com

I got version II. Simple install. Works as claimed. Can unplug it if taking in for service.
AHhhh, i see. In the aftermarket yes.Ill take a gander at this and see if i bite

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've only had my Passport for 4 days but have to agree the ACC is not that great. I was on a slight curve on the interstate and ACC did not seem to notice the tractor-trailer in front of me in the lane. I am also disappointed that the cruise does not maintain speed going downhill, just free falls (if you have come down I70 headed east from the Eisenhower tunnel you know what I mean by freefall). I'm coming from a Volvo XC60 and never had to touch the gas or brakes when ACC was in use (I did not expect the same experience in the Passport, but this is a bit more of a downgrade than expected).

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've only had my Passport for 4 days but have to agree the ACC is not that great. I was on a slight curve on the interstate and ACC did not seem to notice the tractor-trailer in front of me in the lane. I am also disappointed that the cruise does not maintain speed going downhill, just free falls (if you have come down I70 headed east from the Eisenhower tunnel you know what I mean by freefall). I'm coming from a Volvo XC60 and never had to touch the gas or brakes when ACC was in use (I did not expect the same experience in the Passport, but this is a bit more of a downgrade than expected).
The ACC is also a downgrade to my prior 2017 Ford Escape. Though the one issue Ford cited in their manual was the first you mention-- it will brake if there's a truck in front when you're going around a curve. In my 3 years of driving it I only experienced it a couple of times (and one was on this interstate that had hundreds of trucks within the section I was on. I think it's because the sensor is static and doesn't adjust to the direction the wheels are turning. Obviously, Honda's PP sensor is direct center so suffers the same issue (and many others).

My main complaint about the Escape was the bluetooth was sketchy. Sometimes it would connect and auto-play my last playlist, others it would connect and not play the playlist, others it wouldn't connect and I'd have to disable/enable bluetooth on my phone. The most annoying of those was when it would connect and nothing would play and then 3 minutes later music would start playing. Not sure why it took a few minutes for music to start. Anyhow, thankfully the bluetooth in the PP is far more reliable and predictable.

·
Registered
309 Posts
After having owned a '17 CR-V with ACC, I have to say the PP sucks! The CR-V was much more refined. The PP is too erratic. Either letting up on gas too soon, or waiting too late and hard braking!
And my VCM is disabled all the time.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport EX-L; 2019 Honda Civic Sedan Si; 2013 Honda Civic LX
40 Posts
Don’t like acc just turn it to regular old fashion cruise control, it’s in the manual.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes you can do that - That, however, is not what we paid for.

Reactions: Beachbum07

·
Registered
597 Posts
Telling some to just turn it off is what the Honda Service advisor wants to say.
Hopefully, someone will get a software re-flash, from Honda that makes the ACC work like it does on the Accords.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I frankly despise the ACC no matter what car I drive. Ordinary cruise is best. But to add to the conversation vs. just complain, make sure your H in the grill of the car has not been waxed/polished (call it what you will). It only wants to be washed, not polished.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
826 Posts
I frankly despise the ACC no matter what car I drive. Ordinary cruise is best. But to add to the conversation vs. just complain, make sure your H in the grill of the car has not been waxed/polished (call it what you will). It only wants to be washed, not polished.
Why would a micro thin clear coating of wax interfere with the sensors? Did Honda not anticipate that the Passport may be waxed? I doubt wax causes any interference. Snow, mud, dirt, ice - sure.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I highly doubt a coating of wax will interfere with the sensor. This spring I was driving through Wyoming and Colorado when my cruise quit me. I suspected I had a buildup on the big H since it was below freezing and slushy in places. I found at least a quarter of an inch of ice buildup on the sensor. I knocked it off with my fist and was good to go,. No, I don't use cruise on slick roads.

Reactions: Beachbum07
1 - 20 of 24 Posts