Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
DudeCS thought we should have a Moab thread.. Since I live near Moab and have done most of the trails, I will try to let you guys and gals know which trails our stock Passports could most likely traverse without suffering any damage.

Obviously, trail conditions are constantly changing and I suppose you could get stuck, damage your rig or even drive off a cliff if you don't exercise caution and good judgment. So wheel at you own risk and by all means, have a spotter get out and help you through any questionable sections, and never refuse to surrender and turn around if things get too dicey.

If you have questions, comments, or knowledge of Moab and trail reports, feel free to post them here. Pictures too.

Moab has got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. And while you won't get your lifted Passport here:
Top of the World trail in my 2007 JK.
Screenshot_2019-08-19-10-40-46-1.png

Or down this:
My 2010 FJ on Fins and Things trail.
Screenshot_2019-08-19-08-12-59-1.png

You will get to spectacular places like this:
20201202_105647.jpg

Above, Fisher Towers. Trail= Onion Creek
Below= Shafer Switchbacks
20201202_145327.jpg

20201202_152210.jpg

These are the switchbacks. If you get nervous around drop offs, this trail isn't for you.
20201202_152140.jpg

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
If you are planning a trip to the greater Moab area, I would admonish you to buy this book.

Screenshot_20201203-214510_Gallery.jpg

I would dare say, that anything listed Moderate or Difficult would be just about impossible to traverse in a Passport.
That being said, If a few of you guys with lifted rigs, rocking skids and 32" tires want to get creative, I'm sure you could scrape up your skids and wheels and go places I won't take mine.

My road and trail recommendations will be for those looking to spend a day in their stock Passports with their friends and loved ones, rolling through some beautiful country without damaging their $40,000 Honda.

All of the trails that I will talk about are pretty heavily traveled when temperatures are mild..
I say this because you should feel quite comfortable running these by yourselves.
Generally speaking, if you can see the Lasalle Mountains, you will have cell phone service.

We wheeled down there Jan 1st 2020, only saw 2 vehicles on the trail. During warmer months, on these easy trails, you could easily see dozens.
20191231_101337.jpg

Below: Lasalle Mountains two days ago. (The white ones in the far distance).
If you ever saw the movie Thelma and Louise, this is the actual spot where they filmed them going off the cliff, into the Colorado River.

20201202_142659.jpg

This is on the Shafer Switchback trail. I would rate this as a must do. It's quite easy.
The river was beautiful.
The boat ramp.
20201202_130911.jpg

Another Thelma shot, looking West.
If you think these cell phone pics are beautiful, you must see this in person. Simply breathtaking views in every direction.
Dead Horse Point is visible 1000 feet straight up, North of this location.
20201202_142635.jpg

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The second trail I'd reccomend would be PUCKER PASS. It can be done in conjunction with SHAFER SWITCHBACKS. I would run it from top to bottom.
Again, conditions change, I have not done it in the PP yet, but I will. There is a huge rock that rolled off the mountain and rested on the trail. You must drive under this rock. Pretty cool.

20201203_231529.jpg

If any of you guys and gals get out this way and want trail company, give me a shout and we'll see if we can hook up..

Another must see is FISHER TOWERS.
20201202_105721.jpg

You can take a gravel road to it and hike up to the towers. After that, drive down the road less than a mile and get on the ONION CREEK TRAIL.
You will see a different side of the towers and more breathtaking scenery on this trail. You will get your tires wet, because the trail crosses a small stream over 20 times.

The canyon, hiway 128 , where these trails are is spectacular. Lots of exploring in the North Lasalle, area.

THE LASALLE MOUNTAIN LOOP is another must do.

CHICKEN CORNERS is another neat trail that I think we could do in our PP's. You end up on the opposite side of the Colorado River from the Thelma and Louise cliff. Last time I was there, years ago, there was a bed and breakfast on this trail in the middle of nowhere. I'm sure you could Google it.
Some peeps would kayak from Moab,, several miles down the Colorado River, stay at the B&B, and then get a jeep ride back to Moab the next day. Pretty cool.

Again, I have only run the Passport on the Shafer trail. I think we will be able to do these other trails pretty easily but I'm not 100% sure.
This is our thread. If you do a trail down there please report it here. Post your pics.
As I run more trails I will update this.

I think it would be awesome to get a dozen or more of us together and do 5 or 6 of these in a two or three day period.
I know of killer free camping spots.

Another really neat trail is GEMINI BRIDGES.
This will be the most difficult of all the trails I have listed so far. In my jeep or FJ it was easy peasy. I honestly don't know if running the entire trail would be doable. If you bring a shovel and aren't afraid to stack some rocks, I'm sure a couple of us would get around it fine.
I'm sure we could get to the bridges from the top.
Anyway, there are 2 natural stone bridges over 100 feet long that span a deep canyon. Years ago a guy drove his jeep off of them and fell 500 feet. Needless to say, there is a memorial there now and its wired off now, but we can still walk across them.

BULL CANYON is the trail that takes you to the bottom of the bridges. Again, I'm not sure about these trails in our PP's. Pretty sure we won't be doing this one.

If we got an early start, and just go in from the top, we could do Gemini, Pucker Pass and Shafer all in one day. That would be a day to remember.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
This looks like nothing more than a speed bump, yet our muffler was about to drag.
(Shafer trail)
20201202_140709.jpg

I'd consider the lift if I knew for a fact that it wasn't putting undue stress on my axles and other components. I just sold my FJ Cruiser. This will NEVER wheel like an FJ.
My FJ wasn't as safe, comfortable, aerodynamic, fun or fast on the pavement, which is where this car will spend 99% of it time.
Also, my dog hated it cause the rear windows wouldn't open or roll down. She has to hang her head out, lol.

20201202_152221.jpg

20201202_154136.jpg

20201202_143941.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite White
53 Posts
If I lived closer, I would definitely join in on a group outing! Hope you can get some people together in the area. Your shots are awesome!

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,825 Posts
Great thread, cool pics and some good clean fun....!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great thread, cool pics and some good clean fun....!
Thanks Steve, we can all add to it. Even Cali folks come to Moab!

Cheers!

Reactions: Werlyb23

·
Registered
570 Posts
DudeCS thought we should have a Moab thread.. Since I live near Moab and have done most of the trails, I will try to let you guys and gals know which trails our stock Passports could most likely traverse without suffering any damage.

Obviously, trail conditions are constantly changing and I suppose you could get stuck, damage your rig or even drive off a cliff if you don't exercise caution and good judgment. So wheel at you own risk and by all means, have a spotter get out and help you through any questionable sections, and never refuse to surrender and turn around if things get too dicey.

If you have questions, comments, or knowledge of Moab and trail reports, feel free to post them here. Pictures too.

Moab has got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. And while you won't get your lifted Passport here:
Top of the World trail in my 2007 JK.

Or down this:
My 2010 FJ on Fins and Things trail.

You will get to spectacular places like this:

Above, Fisher Towers. Trail= Onion Creek
Below= Shafer Switchbacks

These are the switchbacks. If you get nervous around drop offs, this trail isn't for you.
These are fantastic photos! Thank you for this thread.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I just sold my FJ Cruiser. This will NEVER wheel like an FJ. My FJ wasn't as safe, comfortable, aerodynamic, fun or fast on the pavement, which is where this car will spend 99% of it time.
I love the idea of owning a FJ Cruiser for its off-road capabilities and appearance. But, most of my time is spent on-road and agree that the Passport is much better for my purposes as you mentioned.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These are fantastic photos! Thank you for this thread.
Thanks, it's so beautiful down there it's hard not to get a good pic.

You betcha, great Idea. I hope others will go down and post their trips.
Cheers!
MJ

·
Registered
570 Posts
@Moab Junky... How are the months of February, March, June, August and November for visiting Moab with weather and crowds? Those are the times that we are likely be near Moab. We've visited Canyonlands and Arches in mid-November previously... both are beautiful and the crowd was not bad. Thanks.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well DudeCS ,
July and August are not much fun due to the heat. Spring and fall has the highest trail and town traffic.

Most of the trails suitable for our rigs have plenty of places to let the faster peeps go by, and to pass the slower ones.

Winter down there rocks because the people numbers are way down and if you end up there on a sunny day, in the 40's or 50's you own the place. I love that. Mom and I saw 5 rigs in 5 hours last week. It was epic. One guy alone in a Tacoma came right up to us and asked for directions. So its always good to run into a few folks.. It's spacious out there, room for all.

Avoid Easter Jeep Safari week if you hate crowds EVERYWHERE, trails, gas stations, restaurants, main street, potties etc....
That being said, its fun for me to get in the middle of the madness once in a while. We've wheeled on a dozen or more Safari weeks. We just mark the trails they are doing and start them earlier or MUCH later than the group, or just do a trail they are not on. They cannot reserve them all.
( We've caught up to the groups before and it is a fricken nightmare)

So really, I think for me, all of the months you listed, except August,, would be fine down there.

On our New Years Day 2020 trip it was 14 degrees in the am and we had a blast.

20191231_102427.jpg

MJ

Reactions: Reid Matthews

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Moab Junky, Thank you for the helpful information. Yes, we do try to avoid the crowds and will try to make time for Moab on our next trip.
You are quite welcome. We live one hour from the Northeast trails. Give me a shout if you want to explore together.

Which reminds me of another great trail we could do that I failed to mention. It starts at the
DEWEY BRIDGE.
Awesome views, crazy cool places to primitive camp for free. You can shoot hand guns.
If you Google earth this area just look for the Little Dolores River and head that way.
Lots of sand so be prepared to air down and then air back up. Lots of wild turkeys down by the river.

Thanks, MJ

Reactions: DudeCS

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wow, Moab, I feel like we have TFL here on the forum! Looks like you are living the life out there and have been there done that with dream vehicles.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow, Moab, I feel like we have TFL here on the forum! Looks like you are living the life out there and have been there done that with dream vehicles.
TFL?

I grew up hunting, fishing and camping in Northern Utah. To retrieve game or to get to the "good spots" we had to chain up and drive the wheels off my Dads various trucks and jeeps.

Needless to say, I learned to love the outdoors and enjoyed reaching those hard to get to places. Ever since, dirt bikes and 4x4's were in my blood.

The real Moab machine is the Razor. This thing makes running trails exhilarating.
This was Oct 22, on the 3D trail. The weather was perfect, not too much traffic at all.
My daughter is turning out to be a pretty darn good driver.

Screenshot_2020-10-24-19-47-04.png

Just after this spot her drivers side rear wheel came off the ground about a foot. The look on her face was priceless.
No Passports on this trail.
Screenshot_2020-10-24-19-46-45.png

One of the neat things about Moab is if it is too warm, you can jump on the LASALLE MOUNTAIN LOOP and enjoy pine trees. Passports will do great on this mountain road. Lots of deer and Elk, and if you're lucky, usually in September, you'll see a bear or two.
razor-1.jpg

Something for everyone, every type of machine or bicycle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The Fast Lane Car, TFL Truck, and TFL now which are Youtube channels.. They are a virtual advertisement for Colorado and Moab. Very off road and towing biased. I hope you have heard of them otherwise you'll be watching their videos for months.:)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts