Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of discussion and some examples on here about bigger diameter tires. Stock tires are 29.4" (elite/touring) and 29.6" diameter (sport/exl)

After some tedious measuring and experimenting, here's what I think. I've done a fair bit of tire swapping in offroad vehicles, and a fair bit of modifying to make them work.

With stock or ~35mm offset (eg, many aftermarket wheels), the best you can do is a 30.5" tire. The outer rear edges of the front tire will just rub, when turning wheel fully.

Some 30.5" examples: 265/60/R18. 265/50/R20

The front edge of a 30.5" tire should just clear the front fender liner.

Here's the problem: That rear fender liner is hard against a metal support piece behind it. In some cars, you're lucky and can just heat-gun and bend the fender liner. In fact, on a PP, you can do that with the front liner -- there's nothing behind it. You could easily pick up an inch or more.

At the rear, you would have to do surgery on the metal piece behind the plastic liner. I examined it, and it's do-able. Piece of cake for an experienced fabricator with some welding skills. Hack a wide chunk out of the front of that piece. Fab up a u-channel piece to wrap around it from the back; maybe some inside braces. Weld it up; it will be stronger than stock. Wire brush it; spray with rust-proof. Then heat-gun the plastic liner. I figure you could go up to 32" tire.

But, of course, you've modified your car and that's not for everybody. I'd do it, and probably will over the winter. But it's not for everyone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Lots of discussion and some examples on here about bigger diameter tires. Stock tires are 29.4" (elite/touring) and 29.6" diameter (sport/exl)

After some tedious measuring and experimenting, here's what I think. I've done a fair bit of tire swapping in offroad vehicles, and a fair bit of modifying to make them work.

With stock or ~35mm offset (eg, many aftermarket wheels), the best you can do is a 30.5" tire. The outer rear edges of the front tire will just rub, when turning wheel fully.

Some 30.5" examples: 265/60/R18. 265/50/R20

The front edge of a 30.5" tire should just clear the front fender liner.

Here's the problem: That rear fender liner is hard against a metal support piece behind it. In some cars, you're lucky and can just heat-gun and bend the fender liner. In fact, on a PP, you can do that with the front liner -- there's nothing behind it. You could easily pick up an inch or more.

At the rear, you would have to do surgery on the metal piece behind the plastic liner. I examined it, and it's do-able. Piece of cake for an experienced fabricator with some welding skills. Hack a wide chunk out of the front of that piece. Fab up a u-channel piece to wrap around it from the back; maybe some inside braces. Weld it up; it will be stronger than stock. Wire brush it; spray with rust-proof. Then heat-gun the plastic liner. I figure you could go up to 32" tire.

But, of course, you've modified your car and that's not for everybody. I'd do it, and probably will over the winter. But it's not for everyone.
Do you think a lift would help any, or still the same issue of clearance?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts