Honda Passport Forum banner
81 - 90 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ive noticed this too, not 4 seconds though maybe 2-3 seconds, seems like a characteristic of the transmission. Just make sure not to accelerate before you feel it shift from P to R or it will slam into R.
Thanks, Yeah, I think the first time it happened I just started accelerating and it slammed into R a little, that's what made me realize it wasn't engaging right away...I'm used to a slight delay as with any auto trans but this is certainly more noticeable, almost feels like it's low on trans fluid, I assume it's not low as I only have barely 500 miles on it, maybe I shouldn't assume. lol

·
Registered
175 Posts
Jermboy777 said:
.. or it will slam into R.
Had a taste of that last week picking up something from dealer, car was in P and after fastening seatbelt, pressed D, saw indicator on dash (D) and tapped gas pedal --- hard SLAM -- the door was ajar and car had actually moved a bit. When closing door fully, it did a hard unlock from P to D.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Had a taste of that last week picking up something from dealer, car was in P and after fastening seatbelt, pressed D, saw indicator on dash (D) and tapped gas pedal --- hard SLAM -- the door was ajar and car had actually moved a bit. When closing door fully, it did a hard unlock from P to D.
Somehow I'm not convinced that these "occurences" are extending the life of these transmissions. We shouldn't have to baby these vehicles, they should just work as intended.

·
Registered
2019 AWD Passport, EX-L, Silver with black interior
14 Posts
We have had our Passport EX-L for about a month now and have 1600 miles on it.
It was a leftover 2019 and we got a great deal, but at first the upshifts were a bit too snappy and the downshifts were rough....it really tugged and pulled going back from 3-2!
Initially I thought it was something to do with the Trans cooler that was installed with the towing package, but the more I drove it, the smoother the shifting became. now it shifts like glass both up and down.....with no apparent problems (okay, knock on wood....). Maybe just getting broken in??

We're leaving next week on a long trip from Minnesota to Montana, Utah, Nevada and down around the south rim of the Grand Canyon, then back home through Colorado and the Black Hills. It should pan out to ABOUT 4500 miles or so with lots of mountain driving, so I'll get to see how the manual shifting paddles work for downshifting on steeper grades, etc. I have a similar feature on our big Ford 350 Transit Van and really like that....very easy to drive in hilly country.....but this is a new beast and it will take a bit of experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. And always have the four wheel disc brakes to fall back on, and been out this way a dozen times so know the roads, grades and curves well.

Also, a couple Ghost towns and remote sites are on the docket so will let y'all know how the critter works off-road.

I am really hoping all goes well and will write up reports as I have the chance.
Stay tuned.

·
Registered
218 Posts
It was a leftover 2019 and we got a great deal, but at first the upshifts were a bit too snappy and the downshifts were rough....it really tugged and pulled going back from 3-2!
Initially I thought it was something to do with the Trans cooler that was installed with the towing package, but the more I drove it, the smoother the shifting became. now it shifts like glass both up and down.....with no apparent problems (okay, knock on wood....). Maybe just getting broken in??

We're leaving next week on a long trip from Minnesota to Montana, Utah, Nevada and down around the south rim of the Grand Canyon, then back home through Colorado and the Black Hills. It should pan out to ABOUT 4500 miles or so with lots of mountain driving, so I'll get to see how the manual shifting paddles work for downshifting on steeper grades, etc. I have a similar feature on our big Ford 350 Transit Van and really like that....very easy to drive in hilly country.....but this is a new beast and it will take a bit of experimenting to see what works and what doesn't. And always have the four wheel disc brakes to fall back on, and been out this way a dozen times so know the roads, grades and curves well.

Also, a couple Ghost towns and remote sites are on the docket so will let y'all know how the critter works off-road.

I am really hoping all goes well and will write up reports as I have the chance.
Stay tuned.
Enjoy! Sounds like a great road-trip. Let us know how your fuel economy goes too.
As far as your trans, it has a drive learning curve to it with it's electronics. The more aggressive you are with the throttle, but firmer it shifts... the more laid back...the softer. It takes a few hundred miles to learn your behavior. Being a left over 19, it wasn't driven much and when it was,... was probably driven with a lead foot. You should be fine!

·
Registered
91 Posts

Stay tuned.
You should probably start a new tread and post pictures of your trip.
We all like to see it.
Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Something that Honda technicians do, when they install a tranny cooler is to skip the Honda recommended re-fill sequence. The zf9 is very sensitive to its fluid level.
The level is to be topped off between 104 and 117 degrees F and the techs think that all transmissions are the same ad the don't check temp on others, so they don't check it when they should, on the zf9.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was looking forward to buying a 2020 Passport but all these issues repeatedly coming up on the ZF transmission makes me hesitant.
I guess I will also look at the 2020 Highlander re-design.
Following: reading the same and really measuring twice before cutting that check. Things that make you say Hhhhmmm

·
Registered
3 Posts
A hesitation to down shift at cruising speed is due to the cylinder deactivation system. People that have blocked that system report that "bad shifting" problems like hesitation, vibration, surging and gear- hunting...all went away.

I've ordered the kit for my passport.
How did you bloke it

81 - 90 of 90 Posts