Honda Passport Forum banner
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
I'm playing off of a comment above: So, what is this cylinder deactivation device, which plugs in to the OBD2 port and isn't there a resistor trick available?

I asked about turning off the vcm, while on my test drive.
I was told that the "econo" button would keep only 3 cylinders engaged and when the "econo" button was off it would run on 6 cylinders.
I turned it on and it lost its get up and go, until I floored it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm playing off of a comment above: So, what is this cylinder deactivation device, which plugs in to the OBD2 port and isn't there a resistor trick available?

I asked about turning off the vcm, while on my test drive.
I was told that the "econo" button would keep only 3 cylinders engaged and when the "econo" button was off it would run on 6 cylinders.
I turned it on and it lost its get up and go, until I floored it.
The VCM is activated/deactivated automatically based on PCM inputs: vehicle speed, crank position, cam position, MAF, MAP, throttle position, and ECT. The VCM disabling devices you can purchase all send an ECT reading to the PCM that’s lower than the temperature permissive for the PCM to activate the VCM. The Econ button doesn’t control the VCM. If Honda was smart they would have tied the VCM directly to ECON mode only. Sigh...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Thank you 777

·
Registered
230 Posts
The VCM is activated/deactivated automatically based on PCM inputs: vehicle speed, crank position, cam position, MAF, MAP, throttle position, and ECT. The VCM disabling devices you can purchase all send an ECT reading to the PCM that’s lower than the temperature permissive for the PCM to activate the VCM. The Econ button doesn’t control the VCM. If Honda was smart they would have tied the VCM directly to ECON mode only. Sigh...
That would be nice, I don't think anyone likes it.

Is the lower temperature sent only to an input that looks at VCM parameters? Or, is that lower temperature also used for other engine functions. What problems can be caused by this device? I speculate if used elsewhere this could affect fuel mixture and other engine control.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Wouldnt operating the vehicle in "Sport" Mode pretty much disable the VCM system from activating? If not disable, then at least push the parameters "so far right" that the vehicle would hardly ever go into VCM operation...... If this is true, isnt this pretty much a built in method to disable the system provided by Honda?

·
Registered
122 Posts
It appears the rumors about the Honda 9 speed transmission having major flaws are true.

It’s 12:50 am, I’m sitting at a remote highway intersection with my wife and dog waiting for tow truck because our 2019 Passport with 11,000 miles won’t move due to a major transmission failure.

Dash says “transmission problem, see manual”. The manual says nothing about transmission problems or what to do when transmission suddenly shifts into N at 70 mph and won’t shift back into gear.

I’m a loyal and very disappointed Honda owner stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for a tow.

Thank goodness this didn’t happen to my wife when she’s been traveling alone or in traffic.

Oh, and a heavy thunderstorm is moving in.

It’s 3 am, tow truck driver and I are soaked to the bone. Passport is at the dealership. Before we loaded the Passport onto the truck, the tow truck driver was able to get it to shift into D. I took it out for a short test drive and quickly learned the transmission is indeed in bad shape. Very erratic shifts, felt fortunate to make it back to tow truck where we proceeded to load it and haul it to dealer.
I had the exact same thing happen to me a few months ago. My dealer cleared failure codes and (knock on wood)the issue didn’t return yet.Honda assigned me a case rep who is useless. All they will do is assign a regional rep to visit my Honda dealer to “Test drive” my vehicle. That won’t solve anything and is purely laughable

If it happens again I’m done with this vehicle and with Honda. If someone wants to read my original post when this happened to me, I am truly lucky to be alive. We shouldn’t have to feel that way in a brand new vehicle...

I’m shocked at how Honda Corporate handled my situation.

The more I think of it I should purchased a vehicle that doesn’t have all of these “safety” features as well as a vehicle with less tech. The less tech the better in my opinion. Your smartphone has everything needed while driving. GPS, notifications., etc...in my opinion the more tech features a vehicle has the more prone it is to fail and to cause issues over time.

I made a mistake of buying this vehicle and now I’m paying the price for it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The VCM defeat device only plays with the temp reading of the engine...not incoming air. Air temp is read by the fueling system separately. So that isn't affected. That's why this device is CA CARB approved. It leaves fuel/air mix and emissions alone.

The temp on the dashboard gauge reads slightly low...so you'll see that. It's at 3/8 instead of 1/2. If the engine temp does start to rise, the device will disable itself so the gauge and other warning systems can do their thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It appears we are having a similar issue as what started this thread.

We bought our 2019 Passport Elite in February when they first came out, my wife Misty is the regular driver and over the last several months had several issues with the transmission.

1) Dash says “transmission problem, see manual”. The manual says nothing about transmission problems or what to do when transmission suddenly shifts into N. This issue happened several times when my wife trying to leave for work early in the morning. After several tries and restarting the vehicle several times, it finally shifts into gear. What concerns me more is that the issue also happens when she is driving on the freeway at full speed, for no reason the transmission shifts into neutral.

2) The transmission shifts erratically. This issue occurs almost every time while driving the vehicle.

We have taken the vehicle to the dealer several times. We showed the picture of the screen when 'transmission problem, see manual' error occurred, but the dealer is coming back with 'can not reproduce the problem' and is driving us crazy. They are looking for the codes and cannot locate any stored. I have always been a Honda fan, have owned several hondas throughout the years, have never ever had any issues, but this is very concerning.

On our last visit to the dealer after wife dropped the vehicle off, I drove to the dealer myself after hearing the same result of 'we cannot reproduce the issue' to take a test drive with the tech to try and reproduce the problem with him in the car.

I could not reproduce the problem of transmission shifting into neutral as it happens intermediately but was able to reproduce the problem of erratic transmission shifting three times and the tech has seen/heard it.

I was told that they had to see the codes in order for them to do anything and the tech had the computer hooked up to the car during our drive. The way these computers work is you have to hit the record button when the issue occurs, after 2-3 seconds it starts recording and only records for 10 seconds, then you have to start over. This issue happens intermediately, it is impossible to know exactly when it will happen and for the delay with the recording is it impossible for them to record anything.

I am very close to taking this to the next level with Honda if the issue is not resolved and soon.

·
Registered
124 Posts
It appears we are having a similar issue as what started this thread.

We bought our 2019 Passport Elite in February when they first came out, my wife Misty is the regular driver and over the last several months had several issues with the transmission.

1) Dash says “transmission problem, see manual”. The manual says nothing about transmission problems or what to do when transmission suddenly shifts into N. This issue happened several times when my wife trying to leave for work early in the morning. After several tries and restarting the vehicle several times, it finally shifts into gear. What concerns me more is that the issue also happens when she is driving on the freeway at full speed, for no reason the transmission shifts into neutral.

2) The transmission shifts erratically. This issue occurs almost every time while driving the vehicle.

We have taken the vehicle to the dealer several times. We showed the picture of the screen when 'transmission problem, see manual' error occurred, but the dealer is coming back with 'can not reproduce the problem' and is driving us crazy. They are looking for the codes and cannot locate any stored. I have always been a Honda fan, have owned several hondas throughout the years, have never ever had any issues, but this is very concerning.

On our last visit to the dealer after wife dropped the vehicle off, I drove to the dealer myself after hearing the same result of 'we cannot reproduce the issue' to take a test drive with the tech to try and reproduce the problem with him in the car.

I could not reproduce the problem of transmission shifting into neutral as it happens intermediately but was able to reproduce the problem of erratic transmission shifting three times and the tech has seen/heard it.

I was told that they had to see the codes in order for them to do anything and the tech had the computer hooked up to the car during our drive. The way these computers work is you have to hit the record button when the issue occurs, after 2-3 seconds it starts recording and only records for 10 seconds, then you have to start over. This issue happens intermediately, it is impossible to know exactly when it will happen and for the delay with the recording is it impossible for them to record anything.

I am very close to taking this to the next level with Honda if the issue is not resolved and soon.
Call Honda directly. Its the next step in your warranty booklet under customer satisfaction

·
Registered
4 Posts
Call Honda directly. Its the next step in your warranty booklet under customer satisfaction
Good advice. Dealer is just not wanting togo the extra mile. Time for Honda to get involved.
I have contacted Honda yesterday, have a case#, waiting for a case manager that will get assigned to the case to call me back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It appears the rumors about the Honda 9 speed transmission having major flaws are true.

It’s 12:50 am, I’m sitting at a remote highway intersection with my wife and dog waiting for tow truck because our 2019 Passport with 11,000 miles won’t move due to a major transmission failure.

Dash says “transmission problem, see manual”. The manual says nothing about transmission problems or what to do when transmission suddenly shifts into N at 70 mph and won’t shift back into gear.

I’m a loyal and very disappointed Honda owner stuck in the middle of nowhere waiting for a tow.

Thank goodness this didn’t happen to my wife when she’s been traveling alone or in traffic.

Oh, and a heavy thunderstorm is moving in.

It’s 3 am, tow truck driver and I are soaked to the bone. Passport is at the dealership. Before we loaded the Passport onto the truck, the tow truck driver was able to get it to shift into D. I took it out for a short test drive and quickly learned the transmission is indeed in bad shape. Very erratic shifts, felt fortunate to make it back to tow truck where we proceeded to load it and haul it to dealer.
One of the most common problems with the Honda Pilot is the automatic transmission in some older models. In some situations, as shifts arise, the driver felt excessive noise or harsh movements that shook the car. Defective communication can be identified by means of an automated examination. To be on the safer side I would suggest Do a regular checkup of your car and check the oils properly.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very glad OP is satisfied--I just [tried to] read this thread from scratch and find it very disconcerting. While getting a new transmission was clearly the only good resolution, if it were me I would freak-out because "a new transmission" sounds to this non-mechanic like taking the vehicle apart and putting it back together again, and I'd be disinclined to trust my local mechanic to do it perfectly! Like, when anything inside a dashboard needs to be replaced, getting the dashboard completely back together again without squeaks, rattles, or missing/extra parts is nigh impossible!

o_O

We took our 2006 Ridgeline in for service recently where they gave us a new one to use while the service work was done, and when we got back we saw a nice PP on the floor, well the next thing you know... Our new 2019 Touring model doesn't have 1K miles on it yet, nor have we figured-out all of the complexities of a modern automobile, and it just seems to me there are too many computers involved. While means software, and firmware and if-this-then-thats, and it's just enough to make my head spin.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,249 Posts
Very glad OP is satisfied--I just [tried to] read this thread from scratch and find it very disconcerting. While getting a new transmission was clearly the only good resolution, if it were me I would freak-out because "a new transmission" sounds to this non-mechanic like taking the vehicle apart and putting it back together again, and I'd be disinclined to trust my local mechanic to do it perfectly! Like, when anything inside a dashboard needs to be replaced, getting the dashboard completely back together again without squeaks, rattles, or missing/extra parts is nigh impossible!

o_O

We took our 2006 Ridgeline in for service recently where they gave us a new one to use while the service work was done, and when we got back we saw a nice PP on the floor, well the next thing you know... Our new 2019 Touring model doesn't have 1K miles on it yet, nor have we figured-out all of the complexities of a modern automobile, and it just seems to me there are too many computers involved. While means software, and firmware and if-this-then-thats, and it's just enough to make my head spin.
Welcome to the Forum "Tom-up-North! I'm Steve-down-South, and congrats on your purchase.

What people need to remember is that everything is tied to PERCENTAGES. For instance, my guess is that probably only 5-10% of Passport owners every join this Forum and a percentage of them only join because they had a problem with their Passport. So overall, there could be 5% of the total number of buyers who actually have problems, while 95% of the buyers never have any issues (or don't complain online). I'd venture to guess that is true with pretty much every car/suv/truck out there.

But I can see who someone coming in here new may think there is a ton of complaints and the PP is a pile of junk, but I can assure you that is not the case, I've owned mine since March-2019 and while I don't have a lot of miles on it, it does get driven everyday and the only problem I had was when Honda Coporate did a Global Software update, otherwise it's been flawless!

Reactions: 19BCPDave

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thanks Steve-Down-South for talking me off the ledge! I'm not naive about online forums but cars/engines/mechanics have never been my forte so it makes me nervous to think about our "little Honda dealership" doing a major repair.

Our month-old 2019 PP is wifey's car and has only been out of the garage a few times, so we are mostly clueless about it, the most recent vehicle we owned being a 2007 so talk about not knowing modern automobiles! She wanted the aftermarket paint/ding/etc service everyone makes fun of, and we did also buy Honda Care in the (I think) eight-year version since we inted to keep this car a long time, just as we still love our 2006 Ridgeline!

So I would expect that if we have any major problems with our PP that Honda will take care of us!!! (y)

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know that it is a flaw or just a characteristic of the PP trans, but does anyone else notice a significant delay shifting out of park into gear ? I have only noticed this shifting into reverse first thing in the morning. Could it be because of the colder temps? I push the reverse button and can slowly count to 4 before it engages. Feels very odd that i have to wait that long, maybe time for a trip to the dealer?

·
Registered
156 Posts
mine takes a bit not 4 seconds even slower last night in -18c

·
Registered
434 Posts
I don't know that it is a flaw or just a characteristic of the PP trans, but does anyone else notice a significant delay shifting out of park into gear ? I have only noticed this shifting into reverse first thing in the morning. Could it be because of the colder temps? I push the reverse button and can slowly count to 4 before it engages. Feels very odd that i have to wait that long, maybe time for a trip to the dealer?
Ive noticed this too, not 4 seconds though maybe 2-3 seconds, seems like a characteristic of the transmission. Just make sure not to accelerate before you feel it shift from P to R or it will slam into R.

61 - 80 of 90 Posts