Honda Passport Forum banner
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Just curious did you call Honda Roadside for the tow truck?
We did call Honda Roadside, they were willing to pay to have it towed to the dealer closest to the where the transmission failed which is 45 miles from my local dealer. I had it hauled to local dealer, next day local dealer told me American Honda agreed to pay the $264 towing fee. So far, no payment. Couldn’t be any simpler.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just my opinion, as I'm involved with Automotive...(I do not work for Honda or represent them in any way) This thread is causing a lot of undo "panic" .... to the point where some people may not even consider a Passport or Pilot because of the 9 speed and all the presumed failures. I do not call a 3 or 4 unit failure (out of how many 10 of Thousands maybe 100's of Thousands when you factor in Pilot) of vehicles manufactured) an unusual amount as anything mechanical can have an issue. I doubt the 10 speed trans is any different or even any of GM's or Toyota's automatics... I don't think this is an epidemic as many are saying. With the amount of durability testing that is done on vehicles, I hardly, for not even one minute, believe Honda would allow such a defective item if it were. This transmission issue is becoming the "Post Office Game"... He said, she said that he said they said... Many things can cause transmission issues, such as overheating, bent or damaged trans cooler lines or pinched or damaged wire (road damage from running over debris) ... bad computer/ controller units... and of course improper part mechanical item manufacturing.... So far, nobody has had to pay for any repairs either...

I truly think this is a time for cool heads. Just my thought, but I think this is getting way too much attention...

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is no problem or issue free vehicle. Out of the thousands that leave the lot, a number will always have hiccups. It is just everyone's hope that the problems or issues aren't widespread and persistent. Honda will not put the same ZF transmission in the 2019, 2020 models since they have started adding them to the Pilot 2016 if this transmission is as epileptic as sometimes suspected. A lot of owners think the 6 speed transmission is better but those who don't have issues on their 9 speed know that is not true.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't know much about the ZF9 transmission. But the ZF8 in my 228i is, hands down, the finest gearbox in any car I've ever had. And I've had a lot. That transmission is the single best thing about the car.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I wish the Mods would close this thread. Really.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I wish the Mods would close this thread. Really.
Or you can just not click on the link?? If someone else has their transmission all of a sudden drop into neutral while on the interstate they might like to check the forum for anyone else that has experienced the issue. Just because only a few people have had transmission issues (that we know of, considering most people who own the passport aren’t forum members) doesn’t mean it should be disregarded as an actual issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
With the amount of durability testing that is done on vehicles, I hardly, for not even one minute, believe Honda would allow such a defective item if it were.
A decade ago, I would have agreed, but given Honda's recent track record (busted infotainment systems in the RDX, transmission and vibration problems in the TLX V6 models, CRV vibration issues, the whole Takata debacle, etc.) I'm beginning to have my doubts.

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's an article from 5 years ago talking about the 1st version of the ZF9. Our PPs have version 2. https://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/pilot/2019/2019-honda-pilot-first-drive-review/
The updated version still uses two dog-clutches, which imposes a mechanical limitation that is physically impossible to overcome. In the MMC TLX owners are still complaining about shift quality and delay in downshifts. It's better than before, no doubt about that, but that was a very very low bar. My main point is that it is nothing like the ZF8, both in design and in how it behaves.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Looks like another member is experiencing the same random drop to neutral issue.

·
Registered
323 Posts
CGM - were you informed of any fault codes from your failure?
Mine threw a P0810 (I keep a ScanGauge plugged in all the time) - Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
CGM - were you informed of any fault codes from your failure?
Mine threw a P0810 (I keep a ScanGauge plugged in all the time) - Transmission Fluid Pressure Manual Valve Position Switch.
Don’t recall any failure codes, just the message “transmission problem, see manual”. Of course, there’s nothing in the manual that references the transmission problem message.

It should have said, transmission problem, call tow truck.

CGM

·
Registered
323 Posts
I got that message, along with 7 others.
But as of yesterday evening, the engineers had told the dealership to reset the code and drive it to try to reproduce.
No failure. So more attempts today and then see what the engineers decide.

·
Registered
45 Posts
A hesitation to down shift at cruising speed is due to the cylinder deactivation system. People that have blocked that system report that "bad shifting" problems like hesitation, vibration, surging and gear- hunting...all went away.

I've ordered the kit for my passport.

·
Registered
183 Posts
A hesitation to down shift at cruising speed is due to the cylinder deactivation system. People that have blocked that system report that "bad shifting" problems like hesitation, vibration, surging and gear- hunting...all went away.

I've ordered the kit for my passport.
Does Honda install that item to deactivate the VCM?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I got that message, along with 7 others.
But as of yesterday evening, the engineers had told the dealership to reset the code and drive it to try to reproduce.
No failure. So more attempts today and then see what the engineers decide.
When my dealer tried to tell me, the next morning, they had attempted to diagnose the failure, drove it for an hour and that it was working fine, I firmly and politely asked him to provide me with the name & phone # of the Honda factory rep because that response was not acceptable. There was no way I was putting my wife behind the wheel of that vehicle without it being repaired. He never gave me what I requested but called later that day and told my wife they were able to recreate the failure and the factory instructed them to replace the transmission.

Reactions: Jermboy777

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Yes, my transmission failed but my Honda Dealer and American Honda took care of me with first rate service and they reimbursed me for the cost of the tow.

This is why I’m a proud and loyal Honda owner.

Additionally, new transmission is performing flawlessly, I love my Passport.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yes, my transmission failed but my Honda Dealer and American Honda took care of me with first rate service and they reimbursed me for the cost of the tow.

This is why I’m a proud and loyal Honda owner.

Additionally, new transmission is performing flawlessly, I love my Passport.

View attachment 4212
Thanks for letting us know of the good news of your Honda dealer standing by its warranty commitment and customer service.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts