Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
724 Posts
I always get 200k plus without any major repairs. Exception was my 94 Silverado which had a transmission failure at just under 100K. My own fault running through DV in the summer with AC on and throttle pegged. I had that one for over 300,000 miles.

My moms Pulsar almost 500K, Camry 400K, GMC Sierra currently at over 150K, brothers Chevy Tracker currently pushing 300K, Both our 23 year old and 25 year old Lexus's are going on 150K. Zero repairs other than wearables such as brakes, tires, belts, suspension. Oh yes a heater core and clutch on the GMC Sierra due to previous owners lack of maintenance and poor driving habits.

I expect to run this Honda into the ground like the rest of my rigs.
Older vehicles yes, not new ones. Not anymore. These new vehicles are so complicated to save a much fuel as possible they are not going to last as long. Have you seen how these DI engines have carbon building up on the intake valves?

· Registered
2022 Trailsport
219 Posts
Have you seen how these DI engines have carbon building up on the intake valves?
Sure have. Local shop does walnut blast for the severe ones. I'm not too concerned.

· Registered
887 Posts
That is where we differ. Following the MM will be detrimental to the usable life of the vehicle and the repair costs are going to be increased. I have seen first hand damage from following the manufactures recommendations once the vehicles push mega miles. Most owners do not keep their vehicles for 200,000 - 300,000 miles and beyond. So they never see the damage.

The manufacturers have to satisfy the EPA. Then with mainstream fake media the owners are duped. I'm not one of them.
Gee what dealership are you a service adviser for. How many miles should my blinker fluid be good for?

When you get to 1 million miles on a vehicle call me. Yes It's been done and it was done by the owner following Honda's maintenance schedule on an Accord.

My 1946 Ford PU had 400k on it when I sold it in 1972, only regular maintenance as recommended for vehicles of that day with NO, zip, zero, nada, mechanical issues, not even a heater core. Just two clutch plate replacements in 28 years, and this was an all the time used farm truck.

I will admit however I did change the battery location from a compartment under the passenger floor board to in the engine bay. The floor board location made a great little cooler that would hold 6 long neck bottles of beer along with plenty of ice.

· Registered
2022 Trailsport
219 Posts
I think this thread has ran its course.........

· Registered
3 Posts
When do most of you get an oil change based on maintenance minder? 20% oil life left? 15%? 10?
I just curious what other owners do. I do not want to start a conversation about ignoring maintenance minder and going by mileage or time. Thanks in advance for your replies.
I just had mine changed 15%. I hate the constant pop ups.

Mark 22 EXL owner.

· Registered
2021 Honda Passport EX-L 2WD
23 Posts
The Oil Life software is based on the run time of the engine (not miles driven) , so if you sit in traffic for 90 minutes and drive 20 miles the computer will still record 90 miles, etc. This is the new measure now and I find myself changing my oil every 3000 to 5000 miles. My Honda Service tech told me some customers just ignore the software and use a sticker and just come back every 7500 miles. I don't have any issues with a few extra oil changes per year based on this new measurement/oil life calculation

· Registered
2022 Trailsport
219 Posts
I just had mine changed 15%. I hate the constant pop ups.
In maintenance mode simply push and hold the enter button on steering wheel to reset any and all maintenance minder codes.

· Registered
887 Posts
For the more techinle
The Oil Life software is based on the run time of the engine (not miles driven) , so if you sit in traffic for 90 minutes and drive 20 miles the computer will still record 90 miles, etc. This is the new measure now and I find myself changing my oil every 3000 to 5000 miles. My Honda Service tech told me some customers just ignore the software and use a sticker and just come back every 7500 miles. I don't have any issues with a few extra oil changes per year based on this new measurement/oil life calculation
It is a little more complicated than that. Farm machinery is based on hours run. This explains in technical detail the developments and workings of the Honda MM System.

Attachments

· Registered
724 Posts
For the more techinle

It is a little more complicated than that. Farm machinery is based on hours run. This explains in technical detail the developments and workings of the Honda MM System.
Nah. That’s all witchcraft BS. I’ll change my oil every 400 miles when I get gas. Can’t risk damaging my engine since oil is so cheap.

· Registered
198 Posts
Unlikely any forum members would EVER continue timely recommended maintenance on any of their vehicles as it exceed 150,000 miles. People get tired of their vehicles, and their eye wanders to new sheetmetal. But here's proof that if you really love your vehicle and diligently follow the MM (which is the manufacturers recommended schedule) and regular inspection and maintenance, it can yield impressive results.

What he does:
1 - "Maintenance—especially fluid changes. Don't let small problems turn into large problems because you neglected investigating that noise or leak."
2 - "That means sticking to the factory maintenance schedule, for brake fluid, coolant, belts, and even replacing some non-consumable items like water pumps"
3 - "He switched to extended-life oil and filters, which he changes every 15,000 miles. (He still uses the recommended oil weight, though.)
4 - "finding a good independent, non-dealer shop that can do what you can't (or don't want to) do yourself"
5 - Such is the power of preventative maintenance and gentle treatment

· Registered
724 Posts
Unlikely any forum members would EVER continue timely recommended maintenance on any of their vehicles as it exceed 150,000 miles. People get tired of their vehicles, and their eye wanders to new sheetmetal. But here's proof that if you really love your vehicle and diligently follow the MM (which is the manufacturers recommended schedule) and regular inspection and maintenance, it can yield impressive results.

What he does:
1 - "Maintenance—especially fluid changes. Don't let small problems turn into large problems because you neglected investigating that noise or leak."
2 - "That means sticking to the factory maintenance schedule, for brake fluid, coolant, belts, and even replacing some non-consumable items like water pumps"
3 - "He switched to extended-life oil and filters, which he changes every 15,000 miles. (He still uses the recommended oil weight, though.)
4 - "finding a good independent, non-dealer shop that can do what you can't (or don't want to) do yourself"
5 - Such is the power of preventative maintenance and gentle treatment
15k mile oil changes, oh the horror! :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
2022 Trailsport
219 Posts
Unlikely any forum members would EVER continue timely recommended maintenance on any of their vehicles as it exceed 150,000 miles. People get tired of their vehicles, and their eye wanders to new sheetmetal.
I would and and maintain my vehicles more as they age and get more miles on them. Every single one of my vehicles is a tool. I don't tire of any vehicle. Once it exceeds its usable life and costs more to upkeep or reliability is questionable then it's time to look for a replacement.

I have zero emotional attachment and get no "new car excitement" when shopping. If you look at my Passport there is not one bit of fluff or added accessories for aesthetics. 100% function. The only thing I purchased for "the look" was the color of vehicle. My wife chose the color.

15k mile oil changes, oh the horror! :ROFLMAO:
Well consider it's highway driven and one single idiosyncratic example of millions of vehicles on the road.

• Haha
Reactions: jasonpp
21 - 34 of 34 Posts