Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago my Maintenance Minder showed "Maintenance Due Soon B1" which is oil and filter change and tire rotation. Today it is showing "B16". The "6" indicates replace rear differential fluid. I have about 9,980 miles and have owned it since March of 2019. I can't see why differential fluid would need to be replaced at under 10,000 miles. Is this a normal interval for this service?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really hard driving will mean those things are needed sooner but not hat soon, makes no sense.
Researched it, and I guess Honda does recommend rear diff. fluid change at 10k miles, but agree it seems too soon.
Not hard driving at all, mostly city with a couple highway/freeway out of town trips over the last 1 1/2 years. Since I need B1 service (oil, filter and tire rotation) I wonder what the dealer service advisor will say if I decline the rear diff. fluid change, and I wonder if they will reset the maintenance minder to eliminate the "6".[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
467 Posts
Researched it, and I guess Honda does recommend rear diff. fluid change at 10k miles, but agree it seems too soon.
Not hard driving at all, mostly city with a couple highway/freeway out of town trips over the last 1 1/2 years. Since I need B1 service (oil, filter and tire rotation) I wonder what the dealer service advisor will say if I decline the rear diff. fluid change, and I wonder if they will reset the maintenance minder to eliminate the "6".
You are free and your prerogative to decline any service that your service advisor may recommend. It does not void your warranty. Service tech will not (should not) reset your Maintenance Minder indicators for services not completed. If you wish to reset it, you can do it yourself. But, remember to do the recommended service at some point.

The Maintenance Minder indicators will pop up early or it may be triggered based on time. For the rear differential, "severe service" is at 7,500 miles. Otherwise, it would typically be 15,000 miles under normal conditions. I performed my differential service at 14,800 miles. I'm at 33,000+ miles and have not seen Maintenance Minder "6" as yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not hard driving at all, mostly city with a couple highway/freeway out of town trips over the last 1 1/2 years. Since I need B1 service (oil, filter and tire rotation) I wonder what the dealer service advisor will say if I decline the rear diff. fluid change, and I wonder if they will reset the maintenance minder to eliminate the "6".
[/QUOTE]
Contrary to popular belief, if you do not service rear differential it could void your warranty at some future time, just as never changing the oil/oil filter would void the warranty.

The early differential service is to remove the fluid that was put in the new rear differential. Unlike the engine and transmission, there is no filter in the rear differential to filter out particulates. A new differential must seat the gears to one another which means there will be some slight wearing of the gear teeth as they seat. The early change gets rid of those particulates. If memory serves me correctly, the next rear diff service is 30,000 miles later unless you are following the severe service schedule.

If you are somewhat mechanically inclined it is a service you could perform yourself. It has been discussed here before. DIY - Rear Differential Fluid Change (15K mile service)

I believe I would get the fluid from the dealer as you can actually enter the service you do into the vehicles information in the Honda Owners site. That way there would be a record of the service for all Honda Dealers.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HarveyW,
Thanks for your info. That makes a lot of sense and I'll go ahead and have the dealer take care of it since I don't have the ramps, tools, etc. to do it myself.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What percentage of oil life is remaining even with your B1 showing "Due Soon" or did you already do it? Mentioned above is the fact that the maintenance items that will need to be done do appear before they are due. Example being I reset my oil life at the last oil change and then the "B" code popped up when checking the maintenance due, even though it showed 100% life remaining.

This is something the earlier Pilots do not show, only when it is within 15% remaining from what other owners have said. The 2019 model was the first to show what will be due at next service and I would think the Passports do the same thing. Just because the "6" shows doesn't mean it has to be done immediately. My B1 showed up for about 3000 miles before the "6" appeared at around 13000 miles. I waited until 15000 miles like the "Normal" service calls for.

The fluid I drained (I do most of my own maintenance work) looked brand new, no discoloration or contamination from what I could see or feel.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To ls973800
Percentage of oil life is currently showing 10%. It had been at 10% for a couple of weeks (I don't drive a lot), with the B1 code showing, then a couple days ago the "6" was added.

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
433 Posts
B16 came up with my second oil change.

·
Registered
99 Posts
To ls973800
Percentage of oil life is currently showing 10%. It had been at 10% for a couple of weeks (I don't drive a lot), with the B1 code showing, then a couple days ago the "6" was added.
If the "6" had just been added within the past several days, I would just do the exchange at 15000 miles per the posted maintenance schedule from post #4. Of course if you feel better to do it now, no harm, no foul! Just make sure the DPSFII fluid is used as there is still some confusion with owners wanting to use the previous recommended fluid.

You can reset just the "B" and the "1" code, and leave the "6" code alone to remind you to do it by 15000 miles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts