Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Friends and family have owned a half dozen Hyundai/Kia automobiles stretching back almost a decade. Every one of them was a reliable car. If the Telluride had come out a few months sooner, I would have given it serious consideration.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
Saw my first Telluride around town today. At the risk of sounding like Seinfeld, what is up with that name? Tell-You-Ride? really?

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was interested in the Mazda CX-5 prior to purchasing my Passport. I was coming off a 2015 Mazda3 hatchback that was wonderful to drive but very noisy. The real deciding part was the paint quality on the Mazda. My '3' had more rock chips than any car I had ever owned. At 50k, I repaired about 50 rock chips on various parts of the body using Dr. Color-chip. In reading the forums on the new CX-5, members were complaining about the same thing with emphasis on the red tri-coat. (my choice). Apparently Mazda doesn't prime the body according to a car painter who does this for a living.

Couple that with the fact that only 2 Mazda dealers exist in Montana - the closest on is 140 miles away.

That steered us away from Mazda. I have a S2000 with 40k on the clock with about 6-7 chips total.
Mike

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
That steered us away from Mazda. I have a S2000 with 40k on the clock with about 6-7 chips total.
Mike
I had the XPL Clear Bra on the entire front end of my last car (a low-to-the ground BMW) and never got a chip!, That's why I got the same thing on my Passport and highly recommend it!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Visited a 2019 RAV4 YouTube video and couldn't resist leaving the following:

Any car or SUV usually boils down to the buyers' expectations. I expected a lot from the 2019 RAV4 and was disappointed in a number of ways, mostly regarding PERFORMANCE, FEATURES and PRICE! A fully loaded Adventure Trim RAV4 has an MSRP in the $39k range and there is no way in "heck" I was going to pay that much for a SUV with an under-powered 4cyl, cheaply designed interior, with NO LEATHER and nearly EVERY non-Toyota Dealer driving review complains about engine noise! I bought a larger, better designed, Honda AWD Passport with a LEATHER interior and a powerful (smooth and quiet) 6cyl, for $39k... Also look for the Motor Trend small SUV review that ranks this new RAV4 in FOURTH PLACE against its competition...! Of course, I don't mean to denigrate any actual 2019 RAV4 Owners - and for you 2019 RAV4 owners: "denigrate" means "to put down"...
"
"to put down" you mean by killing a sick dog or cat?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Visited a 2019 RAV4 YouTube video and couldn't resist leaving the following:

Any car or SUV usually boils down to the buyers' expectations. I expected a lot from the 2019 RAV4 and was disappointed in a number of ways, mostly regarding PERFORMANCE, FEATURES and PRICE! A fully loaded Adventure Trim RAV4 has an MSRP in the $39k range and there is no way in "heck" I was going to pay that much for a SUV with an under-powered 4cyl, cheaply designed interior, with NO LEATHER and nearly EVERY non-Toyota Dealer driving review complains about engine noise! I bought a larger, better designed, Honda AWD Passport with a LEATHER interior and a powerful (smooth and quiet) 6cyl, for $39k... Also look for the Motor Trend small SUV review that ranks this new RAV4 in FOURTH PLACE against its competition...! Of course, I don't mean to denigrate any actual 2019 RAV4 Owners - and for you 2019 RAV4 owners: "denigrate" means "to put down"...
"
"to put down" you mean by killing a sick dog or cat?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well the CX5 isn’t because it’s a compact crossover. The CX9 competes more with the Pilot.

Passport competition is the Grand Cherokee, 4Runner, Explorer, Edge, Murano, Blazer, etc.
On the other hand, a buyer can STILL select a CX-5 over a Passport whether it is a Crossover or a "compact" crossover. The need for a reatively larger vehicle may not be there. THe CX-5, then, is STILL competition just as a Pilot is, for instance, vs a Passport.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am looking for a non-US branded, non-luxury SUV that I can take camping a few times a year, but otherwise will be city-based driven in a location, that gets 0" of snow and less then 7" of rain a year. Excluding the Korean SUVs, excluding Mazda, that really only left me with Subaru (EVERYTHING they make is UNDER-POWERED), Nissan (None of their SUV's appear to be very rugged), Toyota (The 4-Runner has not had a overhaul in 9 years, and the new RAV4 Adventure, which is $41k US dollars for a 4-cyl engine w/NO leather) and Honda (CRV - too wimpy and the Pilot is too big) and lo & behold - the Passport seems to check ALL the boxes for what I am looking for!

And I actually love the fact that it is pieced together with a bunch of tried and true Pilot & Ridgeline parts, as it makes the 1st year curse pratically non-existant!
"(EVERYTHING they make is UNDER-POWERED)" Wot?? even at 260 hp?,

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am just wondering why no one here see 2019 Highlander as competitor to PP ? Is it because it has 3 rows ? I got PP last weekend and owned 2008 HL before that. I looked hard at 2019 HL and it was tough to walk away from Toyota. Still the inside finish in Toyota and absence of few features pushed me towards PP. Also, felt like there was about 2K savings in similar models. I thought about waiting for 2020 HL but these will go at sticker for some time. Seems as there is large 2019 HL inventory left in my area as people are waiting. Withing 100 miles of my zipcode, I can only find under 20 PP in my configuration and there is over 80 2019 Highlanders ... I sold my 2008 HL privately couple weeks ago with 160K+ after many year of reliable driving. I hope to get the same from PP.

·
Super Moderator
1,622 Posts
I am just wondering why no one here see 2019 Highlander as competitor to PP ? Is it because it has 3 rows ? I got PP last weekend and owned 2008 HL before that. I looked hard at 2019 HL and it was tough to walk away from Toyota. Still the inside finish in Toyota and absence of few features pushed me towards PP. Also, felt like there was about 2K savings in similar models. I thought about waiting for 2020 HL but these will go at sticker for some time. Seems as there is large 2019 HL inventory left in my area as people are waiting. Withing 100 miles of my zipcode, I can only find under 20 PP in my configuration and there is over 80 2019 Highlanders ... I sold my 2008 HL privately couple weeks ago with 160K+ after many year of reliable driving. I hope to get the same from PP.

Hello and welcome to the Forum and to the PP owners circle...

I think everybody here's path to buying a PP is slightly different, but I will tell you mine: I wanted something I could take camping, I had two BMW 3-Series since 2002 and was tired of having to rent everything I wanted to hit the great outdoors. I wanted something that could handle some dirt roads, but since I was not doing extreme off-roading, I quickly ruled out trucks. Next I wanted something that the rear seats laid down completely flat so I could sleep back there when I solo camped or in bad weather. So I began my search, I wanted something reliable so that ruled out Jeep, Ford, GM, and Chrysler vehicles. Like you we had several really great Toyota's (217k miles on a 1998 4Runner) and they were my first choice, but the new RAV4 is a POS and the HL was a van in SUV clothing (not to mention the 2 rows of seats did not fold flat enough for me. The 4Runner has not had a major revision since 2010, so it was out. So that left Honda, Kia and Hyundai, I still don't fully trust Korean made vehicles and I have owned 2 Hondas previously (3 if you count my wife's Accord) which led me to the Passport...

Cheers!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Because the PP does not compete with the HL. The Pilot does.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I started out in love with the cx5 for the interior and sporty nature. Ruled it out due to its very small and not enough cargo space and can’t tow anything of any significance. Same thing with new RAV4 and Crv and just felt all 3 of those vehicles were too feminine in nature. Considered the Highlander but just too “middle aged dad” looking. The 4runner was overpriced to me and the gas mileage is terrible. Looked seriously at the Subaru’s but they just don’t fit my personality and I just think their interiors flat out suck.

I narrowed it down to the Grand Cherokee and PP. The PP won as I can lay down completely in the rear for solo camping trips, I could get a sunroof for a lot less in the Honda, better trade in value for my existing Honda at a Honda dealer, and better residual when I go to trade this vehicle in 2 years. Next time if Honda hasn’t polished up the PP, I just May go for the Jeep or possibly the x3.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Versus the competition's AWD systems: All about AWD systems.

I would lease a Jeep, but would not buy one, because they don't last.
I like the VTM4 AWD system on the Honda Passport, because it is not the "intelligent" kind of system, which almost all of the competition offer, with various proprietary titles.
Intelligent systems are primarily a FWD with one intelligent rear wheel that can be instructed to make 6 "quarter rotations" each second to "rock" the vehicle, until the FWD regains grip.
Subaru has their symmetrical AWD mated to a CVT tranny and I'm anti-CVT.

Toyota 4runners have the great 2nd transfer case on their TRD line up, but not on the rest (SR5, Limited, etc.) of the 4runners, but the MPG is too horrible, for me.

Toyota RAV4 Adventure is an improved "intelligent" AWD system, because it allows you to disconnect the rear and drive in FWD only, for better MPG, but I've seen it tested on tire spinner/rollers. To make its AWD work, in the demo video, the engine was revved real high (causing the body to whip to the side and come off of the rollers and on to the frame of the rollers) allowing the tires to grip/cheat. So, the RAV4 performs just like every other "intelligent" system.

I've never considered a Part Time AWD system, because I was not looking for a truck or a Wrangler, but those are the best AWD out there. Lease a Wrangler, never buy one.

AWD Hybrids are FWD with two electric motors. Each rear tire gets a 40 - 60 hp motor and when the front wheels lose traction 40-60 hp is not going to push a vehicle very much, so the Hybrids have a better "intelligent/type" system.

That brings my to the Acura SH-AWD, which is more sporty on high speed curves and better than the PP's VTM4 AWD, but I'm anti-turbo (RDX) and I'm anti-$60,000+ (MDX).

The price of a G550 is off the charts and I'm anti-$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

What is the PP's VTM4 AWD?
Very similar to Acura's Sh-AWD.
Though the engine is rated at 280 hp, not all of that makes it to the asphalt.
For round numbers sake I'll say 240 makes it to the pavement.
The PP will use most of that 240 for its front tires, a little for its rear tires, and a little to make the outside tire (during a curve) catch up to the inside tire, unless more is needed on the elsewhere/rear. Then, up to 180 hp can be sent to the rear and that 180 hp can have up to 130 sent to either rear tire (unlike then fore-mentioned intelligent/type AWD system of Hybirds including Acuras MDX hybrid). A possible maximum scenario, for the PP's VTM4 AWD might be: 30 hp at each front tire, with 130 hp to the driver's rear and 50 hp to the passenger's rear tire.

I am sure that someone out there has exact numbers, but the hp can be delivered in force to any tire, when necessary.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Future Purchase
336 Posts
Just test drove a 2020 Highlander Platinum V6 AWD (not hybrid). Highly impressed with performance and feature set at this trim level. Don’t need the third row, so that can stay folded down. Beautiful 12.3” highly configurable infotainment display. Birds eye view cameras, Toyota’s Safety Sense 2 System, rear parking assist with auto braking, auto high beams and adaptive/self leveling headlights, auto tilting mirrors, digital display rear view mirror, panoramic moon roof, heated mirrors with puddle lights, heated wiper area on windshield, full size center console for armrest, which includes a wireless charger tray inside, Apple Car Play and Android support, real leather, roomy 2nd row, not so much with the 3rd row. 20” wheels. Maintains standard shift lever, electronic parking brake, hold button to use when stopped so you can don’t have to keep your foot on the brake, hill descent assistance. The app allows for remote start.

It does have more features than the PP, but doesn’t have the same rugged, off-road look. It’s got 8” of clearance, but most people probably wouldn’t do much more than taking it on dirt/gravel roads.

Definitely a contender. Comes in at around $50k.

2020 Highlander Platinum V6 AWD

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steele
408 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you join the Toyota Highlander fourm, you'll see very few complaints.
The Elite AWD Passport was selling for $38K, before our recession (which won't be officially announced for a year) vs the $50K Highlander Platinum AWD isn't quite in the same price range.
Passport is the worst Honda to buy article
The article doesn't say that they did a long term review, but does refer to other internet (hit jobs) stories.
You'll be much happier with a Highlander.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts