Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks, I purchased a '21 PP Elite about 2 weeks ago. It has 5400 miles. My mileage computer has been reading 13.5~ish avg mpg. Drove about 60 miles then filled to check numbers. Sure enough, hand calculated 12.8 mpg (!). I did mostly in town driving, but with Eco mode on and very conservative accelerator pedal. 5400 miles is past break-in period, but is this normal? Should I see better numbers gradually? Am I missing anything? Thanks for any thoughts!

Steve W.
(Seattle)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Check your air filter.
Use BP's high test gas, for 2 tanks, without using the econo mode. Don't "top off" when you fill up.
You should be at least 4 mpg better, in 1,000 miles.

Reactions: pshadoa

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
425 Posts
Contrary to what the conventional wisdom might be, Econ mode has not delivered good fuel economy for many people to include myself. I drive in normal mode most of the time and consistently get better fuel economy. I would recommend trying that out and reporting back with your results.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
883 Posts
Plus winter gas is always crapper.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,945 Posts
Econ Mode gets me about 23mpg, on : 265/45 R20 Michelin tires.
Non-Econ mode was about 19mpg.
I drive 5 days a week 55 miles per day along a mostly flat, windy Coast Highway, a mix of stop and go.

My mileage actually improved with custom wheels and tires and after about 5k miles.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
537 Posts
Mine gets around 21.5 back and fourth to work which is about 90% highway and 46 miles round trip.
We have gotten around 27mpg on a trip and this like prodgirl on 255/55/20 Michelins.
And I never use eco because it normally gets 1-2 mpg less.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Econ Mode gets me about 23mpg, on : 265/45 R20 Michelin tires.
Non-Econ mode was about 19mpg.
I drive 5 days a week 55 miles per day along a mostly flat, windy Coast Highway, a mix of stop and go.

My mileage actually improved with custom wheels and tires and after about 5k miles.
What combination of wheels and tires did you install?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,945 Posts
Reactions: BrianLOregon

·
Registered
2021 PP EX-L AWD OBP
200 Posts
Contrary to what the conventional wisdom might be, Econ mode has not delivered good fuel economy for many people to include myself.
^^This.

Econ mode is killing you @walkingman57 in mostly in-city stop and go driving. There is a thread around here somewhere (and on the Pilot forum as well) that discusses it. From dealer website:

When to use the ECON mode
  • Driving on the highway
  • Driving on cooler days
  • Driving with a light load
When to not use the ECON mode
  • Hot and humid days
  • Driving in heavy traffic
  • Bad road conditions
  • Hilly or mountainous terrain
  • Towing or driving with a heavy load
  • Overtaking another vehicle

·
Registered
81 Posts
I NEVER use economy mode. 2019 AWD Touring with 103K miles. I drive in a spirited manner and manage combined average around 24mpg. When I drive more consevatively I get upwards of 26 mpg. When I tow my 4600lb loaded open deck car trailer I average 16-17 mpg. I noticed an improvement after reaching about 10K miles, and my mileage typically drops off about 10% every year when 15% ethanol gas is whats sold in New England. I run my tire pressures at 38 lbs cold and check them weekly. Air filter changed twice a year.

·
Registered
929 Posts
From Atlanta to Orlando 87 test fuel = 24.4 mpg, but the display indicated 25,7 mpg.
From Orlando to Atlanta 87 test fuel = 23.2 mpg, but the display indicated 24.8 mpg.
No topping off the fuel, under 500 cargo weight, and staying within 3 mph of the speed limit.
No econ button and no VCM. The VCM is bypassed and I drive with all 6 cylinders exclusively.
26,500 miles 2019 AWD Touring Passport, with a clean K&N air filter, clean oil, clean tranny fluid, clean rear diff fluid.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Econ mode is nothing but a gas pedal restrictor to keep the engine under lighter load so that the engine can spend more time in VCM mode to save gas. It should save you gas more when you basically accelerate slowly instead of normally. I don’t see how using Econ mode can actually get worse gas mileage than in normal mode unless you are flooring it in Econ mode all the time and drive slowly in normal mode.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
537 Posts
Econ mode is nothing but a gas pedal restrictor to keep the engine under lighter load so that the engine can spend more time in VCM mode to save gas. It should save you gas more when you basically accelerate slowly instead of normally. I don’t see how using Econ mode can actually get worse gas mileage than in normal mode unless you are flooring it in Econ mode all the time and drive slowly in normal mode.
Your post makes since but unfortunately it was not my experience while making a 200 mile round trip.
Used econ on the first leg and no econ on the second leg driving exactly the same and the econ leg got 2mpg less. Have not used it since.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Your post makes since but unfortunately it was not my experience while making a 200 mile round trip.
Used econ on the first leg and no econ on the second leg driving exactly the same and the econ leg got 2mpg less. Have not used it since.
There are so many variable in traveling. Incline, wind, temperature, traffic, etc. Even if you make the same trip it can be very different.
There are no change to the car drivetrain except for the gas pedal sensitivity when Econ is on. So with Econ on, you are basically pressing the gas pedal less than you think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts