Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4700+miles on Passport Elite. Intermittent crackles from speakers over time to pops over the last month. Currently, radio data signal losses and loss of lighted infotainment screens intermittently. Also info tainment screen does not shut down after vehicle is locked upon exit.

·
Super Moderator
973 Posts
I too have experienced the Snap, Crackle, Pop sounds. They sound like they're coming from the windshield, but I assume it's from the speakers. The first time it happened I thought it was a swarm of large bugs hitting the windshield -- but I didn't see any squished bugs. It has only happened a total of 3 times, and only for a few minutes each time it happened, but I definitely have heard it. Nothing else seems to be wrong, but the loud popping noises. The problem is, it happens too infrequently to demonstrate or replicate the issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I have done is record the issues. Brought the vehicle in this AM. Waiting for results. This all started with a crackle every now and again. Have had the vehicle 6 wks. with 4700 miles. Speedometer went out as also the radio this AM on the way to the dealer. It did so several times. this Am though the screen went out upon shutting the door. Video with your phone the monitor and see if it flickers on the camera screen. Mine would do so violently upon a moment or so. This means the current is on and off again. Stressing the led screen. If you video the problem it is recorded.(the smoking gun)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer called. Said Honda was aware of the problem. Said they would order a complete infotainment system to replace. My thought is that f Honda is aware of the problem and fix, then why is a unit ordered. Seems every dealership should have one on hand or near by at all times given the Passport has only been in production since December. Dealer said could either leave vehicle or take it home during the interim. Counting the days. Will track the cure.

·
Super Moderator
973 Posts
Dealer called. Said Honda was aware of the problem. Said they would order a complete infotainment system to replace. My thought is that f Honda is aware of the problem and fix, then why is a unit ordered. Seems every dealership should have one on hand or near by at all times given the Passport has only been in production since December. Dealer said could either leave vehicle or take it home during the interim. Counting the days. Will track the cure.
Keep us posted on how this goes.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer called said could either take and drive the vehicle or leave it in wait of parts proposed 5 days. Parts include a harness, replacement infotainment center, and instrument panel. Crossed finger toes and x marks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Noticed this with mine a few weeks ago. Definitely a loose connection somewhere as it seems to happen when hitting a large bump or expansion joint in the road. I haven't noticed any video issues yet but it sounds like it is coming my way next. I have the E-XL so I guess this issue occurs with the standard and upgraded audio.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Noticed this with mine a few weeks ago. Definitely a loose connection somewhere as it seems to happen when hitting a large bump or expansion joint in the road. I haven't noticed any video issues yet but it sounds like it is coming my way next. I have the E-XL so I guess this issue occurs with the standard and upgraded audio.
According to the service writer for my Passport Elite, Honda is aware of the problem. Therefore it seems to me, each and every Passport owner reporting these issues should be supported without the "Sorry we were not able to duplicate the problem, bring it in if the problem continues", verbiage. As for me, I presented a picture sound recording of the problems, disallowing question. I have read where others have been sent home because the issues are not observed by the dealer. In my case Honda will be installing a new infotainment system, wiring, and a new instrument panel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is what I heard from the local Honda service in Conshohocken PA (Phila area).There is a known issue with Apple Play and Honda that causes the popping and crackling sounds. It isn't just the Passport - it's between Honda and Apple. There are a lot of articles on line about connectivity issues of with Carplay but none that mention the particular snap crackle and pop sound we are experiencing. The recommendation is to delete your phone from the car and then add it again.

I get this issue even if I don't have my phone connected, so it won't help me but may be worth a try. I'm quite sure it is a loose connection somewhere but I will need to drop it off at the dealer and let them drive it around to try to replicate it.

·
Super Moderator
973 Posts
There is a known issue with Apple Play and Honda that causes the popping and crackling sounds.
I've had the popping and crackling but I don't use Apple Car Play (I don't even have an iPhone). There is a known issue with Apple Car Play on Honda and Acura, but it must be something else causing the popping and crackling.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is what I heard from the local Honda service in Conshohocken PA (Phila area).There is a known issue with Apple Play and Honda that causes the popping and crackling sounds. It isn't just the Passport - it's between Honda and Apple. There are a lot of articles on line about connectivity issues of with Carplay but none that mention the particular snap crackle and pop sound we are experiencing. The recommendation is to delete your phone from the car and then add it again.

I get this issue even if I don't have my phone connected, so it won't help me but may be worth a try. I'm quite sure it is a loose connection somewhere but I will need to drop it off at the dealer and let them drive it around to try to replicate it.
I suggest you video the problem. Our problems began with snap crackle pop and developed to instrument cluster and infotainent failure. Filmed it. Parts ordered and repair. Dont play with this. Honda knows and i believe dealerships should.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've recorded the problem on my phone and the crackling and popping is clear. I'll take it in and drop it off when I am able as the dealer did not seem receptive to diagnosing based off the recording I made. (I don't have any display issues yet) Do you believe there is a service bulletin for this as it would be good to reference?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've recorded the problem on my phone and the crackling and popping is clear. I'll take it in and drop it off when I am able as the dealer did not seem receptive to diagnosing based off the recording I made. (I don't have any display issues yet) Do you believe there is a service bulletin for this as it would be good to reference?
I don't think there is a bulletin. Your recording brings to light a problem. A starting point to investigate. I do believe if they consult with Honda, Honda will advise them. Your recording is evidence, a starting point of diagnosis. It is what they must experience to diagnose and address. Hopefully in your case they follow through. If not call Honda. My system replacement is 500 miles to the good.replaced intrumrent cluster, wiring harness, and infotainment system.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does the snap, crackle, pop occur when you have your phone connected via the USB cable? That’s happened to me (and others), and oftentimes it’s a problem with the cable.

·
Super Moderator
973 Posts
Does the snap, crackle, pop occur when you have your phone connected via the USB cable? That’s happened to me (and others), and oftentimes it’s a problem with the cable.
I've had it happen with or without a phone connected. It happens so infrequently though that it's hard to test anything.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Greetings,
Has anyone had issues with the navigation losing volume and loss of route info? If so was there any crackling? Also we’re you using CarPlay?
Thanks,
Pdog

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Had the current Honda repair Tues Wed last week. Today, crackling from speakers and radio lost signal. Wife did not check other functional apps. Asked service adviser to consult with Honda. It sucks to bring it in again and show them a new movie of what happened. Said he would do that. It does seem if Honda knows the problems but does not know the fix they would stop selling the vehicles till there is a fix. Not nice to mess with people.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts