Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys
Thanks for creating this awesome forum and meeting wonderful people here. I am looking to get a 2021 Honda passport or anything similar but I'm really interested in this one, unfortunately this car has salvage title and I am looking to the community to check if there is anything else I should be looking out for while doing my inspection day, and I will purchase the car report to see damage and other details.

Some things that I will be looking out for during my inspection today:

noises in the engine
check transmission for slips jolts etc
verify all electrics / features / lights,
coolant or oil leaks
They are asking for the price of $25,500 and it has 14412 miles with a Salvage Title.

If you guys have any suggestions on what to look at.
thanks
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Wheel Tire

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Wheel Car Vehicle

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering wheel

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite
465 Posts
Salvage Title? A salvage title means the vehicle has been totaled by the insurance company. I would never purchase a vehicle with a salvage title. Insurance companies don’t give money away money,and if they total a vehicle it’s because it has extensive damage. A lot of these salvage titles are vehicles that have been in floods, the body looks perfect they are low mileage meanwhile every electrical connection in the vehicle has been underwater usually salt water, it’s nothing but a ticking time bomb. Run don’t walk away from this!

·
Registered
314 Posts
First read this, and check out all of this…
Salvage Titles

Then I would run away unless the cost is like $5,000 and you’re a mechanic that can repair extensive damage yourself, and even then I would check your State laws as sometimes you may have difficulty registering it.

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
411 Posts
Fair warning, if you acquire a vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood, lemon, etc) you will be absolutely stuck with that vehicle with little to no recourse in the event that it has any issues whatsoever. Also your prospects for selling the vehicle are extraordinarily low unless you personally find someone who's willing to buy it with full disclosure on your part of the fact that it has the branded title. Most reputable car businesses refuse to accept a branded title vehicle as a trade-in or as a vehicle that they will purchase, if they do that raises a lot of red flags in my mind about how they choose to operate their business. Many automotive businesses will refuse to even work on the vehicle for repair and maintenance because they can potentially put themselves in a spot of liability that they will be on the hook for any potential problems that arise that may, in reality, have nothing to do with any actions that they themselves were involved in.

I personally view buying any vehicle with a branded title as throwing money down a hole and hoping for the absolute best results with no assurance that you'll get anything other than a loss of your money and a worthless asset that you cannot rid yourself of easily should things (in all likelihood) go awry. I have extensive experience in the car business and I can literally only think of one person then I'm aware of that bought a vehicle with a branded title and had good long-term results but came to find out years later that they were literally stuck with that car and there is nothing that they can do about it.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,684 Posts
This might just end up in a lesson titled:

How to turn $25k into $50k (the wrong way)

Run Forrest Run...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unless you are buying the vehicle to scrap it for parts, don't do it.
FX is right, do some due diligence - if you have a trusted Honda dealer nearby, have their top technician check it out. Also, if it has a salvage title research it to find out what exactly happened to the car - depending on if it was wrecked or whatever. My 2019 PP was totaled after I hit a deer and went up an embankment which tore up the AWD system and popped up the air bags but otherwise the car was in great shape. Flooded cars are always suspect so stay away from them is my reco.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just doing a very quick nationwide search on CarGurus for Passports under $30K and with less than 50,000 miles, it appears there are about 25 certified pre-owned Passports, another 40 or so Passports that are non-CPO, but still for sale through authorized Honda dealers, and another 90 or so from private parties or private dealer lots. $25,500 for a salvaged Passport?? As others here have said, run from this one!

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
869 Posts
Looks like on the driver side, the side curtain airbag deployed. It doesn't look that bad. OP, could have a 3rd party estimator do an inspector.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys, sorry for the late response, I found many clean title with fairly the same price as salvage title, thanks for your concerned, I also run a VIN check, before going to inspect the car, @PowercatJeff wow, its the same picture as in the car report, that doesn't seems like a serious damage, anyone else has any experienced purchasing a salvage title, as I have read from the salvage title owners overall it's mixed answers.

Here is the report: https://app.detailedvehiclehistory.com/report/vin/5FNYF7H24MB009503

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
411 Posts
FX is right, do some due diligence - if you have a trusted Honda dealer nearby, have their top technician check it out. Also, if it has a salvage title research it to find out what exactly happened to the car - depending on if it was wrecked or whatever. My 2019 PP was totaled after I hit a deer and went up an embankment which tore up the AWD system and popped up the air bags but otherwise the car was in great shape. Flooded cars are always suspect so stay away from them is my reco.
On my Subaru website I have told the story as to how my 2003 Subaru Outback was totaled in a rollover accident, had the title scrubbed five times in Illinois, and was shipped to Indiana only to be fixed up and then resold without the next owner ever having known anything about the fact that it was severely damaged to the point of being totaled previously. How do I know that? In an odd twist of fate the next owner ended up buying a new car from me when I worked for a Subaru dealership in Indiana and drove that very same 2003 Outback we both owned to the dealership, they ended up trading it in.

Moral of the story is that there are means and methods to get around a branded title in terms of hiding the fact that a vehicle may have been severely damaged in the past without anyone ever knowing. If in fact it is fully disclosed that a vehicle has a branded title and that raises a lot of red flags in my mind to the point to where I would not seriously consider any purchase under any circumstance. To each his own, buyer beware.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had a 1 year old Ram once that was “almost” totaled. It came in just under whatever valuation level they wanted. They repaired the car in full. The thing never drove right again, the AC would randomly shut off and not work, and other kinks. They can make a car look the same, but inside all kinds of parts in minor bends in steel they don’t catch can haunt you forever. I sold the car within a year after that because it may have looked perfect, but was so so not healthy.

Reactions: fx_chip

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hey guys, sorry for the late response, I found many clean title with fairly the same price as salvage title, thanks for your concerned, I also run a VIN check, before going to inspect the car, @PowercatJeff wow, its the same picture as in the car report, that doesn't seems like a serious damage, anyone else has any experienced purchasing a salvage title, as I have read from the salvage title owners overall it's mixed answers.

Here is the report: Get Instant Vehicle History Report

Do not buy this salvaged vehicle.
Don't equate the technology in today's cars with that of yesteryear. 20 years ago cars had minimal electronics and usually 1 or 2 computers. You could buy a totaled car for 20% of the "finance value". Example: An clean 2000 Honda Trade in value = $15,000 retail value = 18,000 finance value = $17,000...totaled out value = 17,000 x 20% = $3,400.
If you owned this vehicle and an insurance company totaled it out, you could buy it back and it would cost you $3,400.

Because of all of the electronics now-a-days, the percentage is between 35 - 40, to buy it back.
This 2021 FWD Sport with 14,500 miles has a finance value of $33,975 and its totaled out value is between $22,084 & $20,385.
It's because of all of the electronics that you should not buy this salvaged suv, especially because the price is way, way, way too high.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Do not buy this salvaged vehicle.
Don't equate the technology in today's cars with that of yesteryear. 20 years ago cars had minimal electronics and usually 1 or 2 computers. You could buy a totaled car for 20% of the "finance value". Example: An clean 2000 Honda Trade in value = $15,000 retail value = 18,000 finance value = $17,000...totaled out value = 17,000 x 20% = $3,400.
If you owned this vehicle and an insurance company totaled it out, you could buy it back and it would cost you $3,400.

Because of all of the electronics now-a-days, the percentage is between 35 - 40, to buy it back.
This 2021 FWD Sport with 14,500 miles has a finance value of $33,975 and its totaled out value is between $22,084 & $20,385.
It's because of all of the electronics that you should not buy this salvaged suv, especially because the price is way, way, way too high.

Reactions: PowercatJeff

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring
5 Posts
Since it sounds like you really want to buy this Passport. The auction site listed the car as "starts". That means the damage was severe enough that it wouldn't move on its own. There could have been major unibody damage. Do you trust that the damage was fixed correctly? Did they even replace the side curtain airbag? You can't tell just by looking. The seller should supply you with a list of purchased and repaired items. Then you need to take it to an independent mechanic you trust and have them go over the repairs that were done. It won't be free but at least you will have the benefit of someone hands on looking at the repairs. If they won't give you a list....run away....

My .02 worth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts