Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did my first test drive this afternoon, went great! This was hauling the unladen trailer (~2800lbs), Passport didn't break a sweat. Plenty of power to accelerate up steep hills, transmission temp stayed below 160 at all times as measured by a ScanGauge II (thanks to this forum for putting me onto that... really great device). I'll be adding ~1,000lbs for "real" trips, but based on this test run I think I'll be fine.

Details:

• 2022 PP Trailsport
  • Factory tow package (hitch and harness)
  • Factory ATF cooler (for 5,000lb tow rating)
  • Primus IQ brake controller
  • ScanGauge II (for real-time ATF temp monitoring)
  • Basic hitch (this is where I'll do some more experimenting, might want a weight distribution hitch if I can find a good one <100lbs... you can see front suspension is lifting in pics...)

Loving the Passport so far, what a great vehicle!
Hit Stevens Pass then Pine Canyon, then report back.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
792 Posts
👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am running into a somewhat similar issue. Just leased a '22 Elite and needed to get the towing package installed. So far about two weeks with waiting on the upgraded transmission cooler and apparently another part as well. I called the parts department again and it seemed this time they had even less information to give to me. This is starting to get very frustrating as I traded in my aged minivan with the intention of having the Passport now tow a new trailer I just obtained.

I sure hope this gets resolved soon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here's what I can tell you (in case it helps)

The part number for the 2022 Passport transmission cooler kit is 06255-5EZ-317. As of ~a month ago, it was on backorder globally. There didn't seem to be any way to get one (neither my Honda dealership nor the online parts sites can get them.)

The part number for the 2021 Passport transmission cooler kit is 06255-5EZ-316. This part is widely available. I got mine from here:

As far as I know (keep in mind I'm not an expert) it is the exact same part. I was told that the part numbers of the individual parts contained in the kit are an exact match, but for some reason the "kit" has a different number (317 instead of 316). The '22 transmission is the same unit as the '21 (per the dealer), so it makes sense it would fit. It was installed by the dealership and appears to work flawlessly. Certainly nothing weird has happened - the vehicle drives great, and I have done one long trip with my trailer monitoring the transmission temp with a ScanGauge II and everything looked good.

Re: installation

* My local independent transmission shop couldn't install it for me. I took the 316 kit to them, they took a look and said "this is a weird install, we can't promise you we can make it work, and it will be very expensive for us to try". They also couldn't recommend or install a third party cooler. Something to do with the couplings on the PP transmission being unusual. This is a transmission shop that has been in business since the 70s, and is very highly rated. So you'd think they'd have seen everything!

* After a lot of back'n'forth, the dealership eventually agreed to install the 316 part kit, which resolved the situation for me. I can't guarantee your dealer will do the same, but you could certainly ask them about it. I think that's probably your best path forward until or unless the 317 part kit becomes available.

NOTE: You can try getting one at this link, I don't think it will work but there at least an "Add to Cart" button so you could try it:

·
Registered
3 Posts
It’s my experience that the sales people and service reps really don’t know that much about towing. Most customers want a hitch for a bike rack. Unfortunately “I don’t know” doesn’t seem to be in their lexicon, so you can get some misleading info. I found the info in the manual to be pretty helpful in terms of towing weight, tongue weight, cargo weight, etc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update on my end. All the parts minus the tailgate kick sensor came in on Thursday and I had it installed yesterday. It just so happens I'm back at the dealership because I started to test things out and it seems that the harness was not connected properly (no lights on the trailer for anything and I know the trailer harness is OK).

I ended up having to pick up a hitch drop kit for The trucks I was renting while waiting for this to complete. Now I have to figure out the math if it's best to keep the drop hitch on the Passport or to just get a straight pitch kit. Hooking it up briefly this morning things seem to be in proper height alignment but naturally I want to make sure this is done exactly to spec.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts