Honda Passport Forum banner

Location of blind spot warning

7K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  pshadoa 
#1 ·
Is it just me or is the location of the blind spot alert awkward? Coming from a 2017 Escape which had the light directly on the mirrors I'm obviously used to that but having it so far away from the mirror seems like poor placement to me. I would've preferred it if it was on the opposite end of where it's mounted, closer towards the actual mirror.

#3 ·
I agree. The placement is terrible! It is the one thing about the PP that I dislike the most. Have 1600 miles on it now and still have not gotten used to it yet. Requires you to focus on two places before deciding to switch lanes. Our other SUV has it in the mirror and it is much more intuitive to use. Good suggestion regarding to at least have it towards the rear of the triangle piece.

#4 ·
Makes me wonder if Honda invests any money in usability studies. I mean, they certainly don't invest much in HondaLink and saved some bucks by skimping on cameras. I'm only at 200 miles (and 100 were put on during the delivery) so I have plenty more miles to get used to it, ugh.

#9 ·
Not sure what you're doing that your mirrors get that covered in dirt and mud (given the location and direction they face) but if they are in fact getting so covered in dirt and mud that you wouldn’t be able to see BSW light then you’re main issue should be the fact that your mirrors need to be cleaned so that you can use them. Same goes with snow/ice covering the mirror.. it needs to be thawed and clear for visibility and safe driving. If your mirrors are covered there is no need to have a BSW light because you would then need to look over your shoulder before making a lane change anyways. I’m sure this why they have always been put on mirrors, simply because that is where you are looking to see if anyone
Is coming up behind you in the lane you are wanting to be in. Now we have to look in two places (close proximity I know) before changing lanes. Seems unnecessary.

#11 ·
I seem to be in the minority here but I like them inside. I can see it light up out of the corner of my eye without looking out at the mirrors so I know someone is there without even needing to look out the window. Even with blind spot assistance I still look very closely out of habit before I change lanes so ultimately where it's located isn't a huge deal to me. We have a CRV where it is on the mirror and I find myself looking out to the mirrors more often than I do in the PP. Since it seems like this feature is usually on the mirror with most cars, it's probably what we have just gotten used to.

#12 ·
I wouldn't mind an additional indicator on the dash screen since I'm looking straight-ahead before looking in the mirror to change lanes so if I saw an icon on the screen that indicated a car was in the blind spot I wouldn't even need to look in the mirror until it cleared.

#13 ·
I'm in complete agreement with the OP. I still haven't been able to train myself to peripherally see the BSW light while looking at the mirrors. To me it makes so much more sense to put the light in the mirror because that's where you're looking and you'd be more apt to see it there.

#16 ·
Whether the light was inside or outside, I wish it would come on sooner when the vehicle in the adjacent lanes were further back. My other SUV has the light coming on much sooner. In comparison the PP light comes on way too late.I tried to find a way to adjust that distance like the adaptive cruise control setting but no success.

#17 ·
That seems like that could be more harmful than helpful. The broader the BSM sensors angle is the less it’s actually detecting your “blind spot.” What if the light was on and you look in the mirror seeing a car is approaching in the next lane.. you have no idea if someone is actually in your blind spot if you were to need over immediately, you would have to then look over your shoulder to make sure there wasn’t a second car in your “blind spot” defeating the purpose of the blind spot monitor. I think they have the sensor angle just right in the PP but I just don’t like where the light is located.

#18 ·
I agree if the are was wider that may cause a problem as you describe ribbed. But the sensing area in my other SUV is not any wider but rather longer so a car in the adjacent lane shows up sooner. I guess it is a personal preference sort of thing. I just wish the distance was adjustable.

#20 ·
Yeah I gotcha! But I definitely think a blind spot monitor should only pickup vehicles in your blind spot, that’s just the point of the system. You can see approaching cars in the mirror so why have that approaching car engage your blind spot light? On my civic I have the passenger side mirror camera that comes on when you engage your turn signal. I love having the camera because I will just turn it on in heavy traffic so I know who is next to me at all times for quick lane changes. I wouldn’t mind having those on both mirrors to where I could turn them on to be displayed on the infotainment screen. The way people drive and play on their phones these days it’s nice to know your 360 surroundings at all times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.