Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully tapped into the LKAS camera for use as a dash cam? I don't know if it would show a clear enough picture for facial recognition or reading a license plate.
What about replacing it with a real dash cam. It's position in the car is ideal. I don't like having extra items hanging down and possibly blocking my view.
Along the same subject lines, what about using the back up camera for the same purpose? There must be a way to make it stay on when driving forward.

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
801 Posts
Has anyone successfully tapped into the LKAS camera for use as a dash cam? I don't know if it would show a clear enough picture for facial recognition or reading a license plate.
What about replacing it with a real dash cam. It's position in the car is ideal. I don't like having extra items hanging down and possibly blocking my view.
Along the same subject lines, what about using the back up camera for the same purpose? There must be a way to make it stay on when driving forward.
Hi Bob, Welcome to the forum! Don’t tinker with the LKAS camera. Go with a stand-alone dash cam system.

Here’s my Blackvue DR900S 2CH 4K front and rear camera system. I used a Samsung EVO 256 GB micro SD card. Great video quality. I also added the Blackvue polarized filter to eliminate reflections from the dash, and the security collar shown in the last pic that keeps someone from removing the SD card, cables, and the camera itself.

Here’s a link to one of the biggest dashcam retailers with good prices and lots of info.

BlackBoxMyCar

Rear Camera
46C2B6D5-3E62-41AC-86DA-15096CF4CA98.jpeg

47B6083C-2378-402F-89EE-CF65B2120445.jpeg

47B6083C-2378-402F-89EE-CF65B2120445.jpeg

Front camera
2942CAAA-8E77-4309-9432-48E6F77287B7.jpeg

Pretty unobtrusive
6E852001-DBBE-4D73-88C8-B045B3F33244.jpeg

8BC27B29-F167-4A92-9BCA-C59838AE9E99.jpeg

Doesn’t obstruct view
15856FA1-8E03-40AC-8F01-0E9CB2028B8E.jpeg

CE0DA3A0-5092-43BF-9E80-94ED79A5270F.jpeg

With Polarized filter on (light grey ring towards left), and the security collar on the right.
D862162F-D0BC-4E09-A02D-343E78E31F61.jpeg

92BB8CA1-D03F-473F-B666-B80DD2F56E3F.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2019 Elite AWD White Diamond Pearl
243 Posts
I do like your cameras Beachbum. Do they connect to the internet so you can watch the videos wirelessly, or do you have to take the SD cards out?

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
The front camera has built in wireless to download front and rear videos to your phone. If you’ve activated the Honda built in hot spot, the videos could be uploaded to Blackvue’s cloud service. Or, remove the card and insert into your computer, then view the files with the Blackvue app.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for answering. The front camera doesn't look too intrusive and the rear camera is exactly where I would mount it. I don't want to worry about knocking it off when loading something. I think that I will mount the rear cam more off to the left so as to not cause any viewing obstruction.
Did you tap off the cargo area light for power?

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Hello B-Bum, those do look cool, any chance we could see an actually video (even if it is short), I'm interested in the clarity.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Thanks for answering. The front camera doesn't look too intrusive and the rear camera is exactly where I would mount it. I don't want to worry about knocking it off when loading something. I think that I will mount the rear cam more off to the left so as to not cause any viewing obstruction.
Did you tap off the cargo area light for power?
I had them installed by a stereo/accessory shop. Took them about an hour. The rear camera is powered through the front camera with the included cables. I think they snaked the cable above the headliner, along the driver’s side. The power cable goes down behind the A pillar trim and tapped into an existing fuse. I’d mount the rear camera dead center at the top of the hatch. I haven’t noticed any obstruction.

Here’s an interior pic showing the rear camera.

There are plenty of camera options out there, but I read up on this model, and the installer also carried it and installs many of them. They gave me a three year warranty on parts and labor.

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
I don't know, maybe try the "Attachment" or post it somewhere and LINK it...
I’ll try later. Having a few beverages right now, so I’ll have better luck later. Then again, it’s nice out, relaxing on an Adirondack chair, refilled my Yeti tumbler, and enjoying the ocean breeze. 🥴 🏝 🍺

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had them installed by a stereo/accessory shop. Took them about an hour. The rear camera is powered through the front camera with the included cables. I think they snaked the cable above the headliner, along the driver’s side. The power cable goes down behind the A pillar trim and tapped into an existing fuse. I’d mount the rear camera dead center at the top of the hatch. I haven’t noticed any obstruction.

Here’s an interior pic showing the rear camera.
View attachment 6529

There are plenty of camera options out there, but I read up on this model, and the installer also carried it and installs many of them. They gave me a three year warranty on parts and labor.
Great set up as I’ve been seriously considering components like this for my Elite. Where did you purchase for installation? Did they mess up your interior or trim? I appreciate professionalism in these kinds of things. The more unobtrusive, the better. Thanks for your feedback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts