Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport AWD Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I filled the gas tank a few nights ago and the next morning I helped my wife into the Passport and closed the door (I know, what a gentleman). After closing the door I heard the sound of what I thought was water sloshing around in the garage. It took me a minute to tell it was coming from the Passport. I opened the door and asked my wife if she heard the sound inside the car. She didn’t. I asked her to get out and back in as before and to listen for the sound. Again, I heard the sloshing but she didn’t. I had her get out one more time and them rocked the Passport so we could both hear it and we did. It seemed to be loudest at the rear of the vehicle.

My First assumption was that it was fuel sloshing back and forth in the tank but since I had just filled the tank I wouldn’t have expected the amount of sound to come from a full tank. It sounded more like the tank was only half full or less based on the wave action sounds we were hearing.

I should also mention that after I filled the tank the night before I smelled gas for a couple of minutes as I pulled out of the gas station. I assumed it was fumes from outside filtering into the vehicle.

i stopped by the local dealer to see if this was normal but they couldn’t hear it due to the background noise level in the service department. They asked me to try and record the sound at home and send them the file to listen to and the would listen to it and look at the vehicle when I brought it back for some recall work.

I sent the file and while they could hear it in the recording the still couldn’t hear it or duplicate it in the shop.

So the question is, if you rock your Passport in a quiet setting can you hear fuel sloshing around in the tank when it’s full?

Mine is a 2020 AWD Touring addition. I’ve had it since the beginning of April but since I’ve been working at home I only have about 1,800 miles on it so far. Never noticed this sound before.

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

·
Registered
50 Posts
This is normal. Fuel tanks are designed to have an air space in them, meaning they do not fill completely up like say a bottle with the opening at the top. Sloshing from the tank, even one that is full, is to be expected. The one thing you should not do try to add more fuel to the tank after the pump clicks off. Evaporative emissions systems are expensive to replace and when not stressed they will usually last the lifetime of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring
16 Posts
Yes, mine sounds exactly the same. Open the rear hatch, lean forward into the cargo area and gas in the tank sloshes around. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport AWD Touring
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is normal. Fuel tanks are designed to have an air space in them, meaning they do not fill completely up like say a bottle with the opening at the top. Sloshing from the tank, even one that is full, is to be expected. The one thing you should not do try to add more fuel to the tank after the pump clicks off. Evaporative emissions systems are expensive to replace and when not stressed they will usually last the lifetime of the vehicle.
Thank you for the response. I agree with not overfilling the tank. I never top off when filling. Thanks!

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
141 Posts
Been discussed over on the Pilot forum.

(y) Thanks for the info...Would have never known, only due to the fact that I don't own a Pilot nor do I visit/participate on that forum.

Reactions: BrownBear

·
Registered
2019 Elite Black Forest
46 Posts
I just lurk over there, and the Ridgeline forum, from time to time due to a significant amount of similar characteristics with Pilot, Ridgeline and Passport.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
141 Posts
I just lurk over there, and the Ridgeline forum, from time to time due to a significant amount of similar characteristics with Pilot, Ridgeline and Passport.
you lurk. I creep...🤫

1 - 8 of 8 Posts