Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, does anyone else that lives in cold climate areas notice that the LED Headlamps don't work well even with a small amount to snow/ice on the lens?
This morning I was driving to work in sloppy slush and snow falling. It was clinging to the front of the car. I couldn't see hardly at all. Had to pull over and clean them off. The radar unit on the front (behind the Honda emblem) had a thick layer of frozen slush on it so that came on with a warning that "Auto Braking disabled" and a yellow brake light came on! Hate that! The bigger problem is the Headlights don't get warm and nothing melts off of them! They were covered in the same road gook and weren't lighting the road for me. I could barely see and had to pull over to clean them off a couple of times.
I think a lot of LED Headlamp cars have this problem. They need to make "heaters" for the lens or something to help deice the lamps.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
Southern rednecks have a similar problem when they're mudding.
Perhaps heaters (and/or washers) will become avail down the road.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Washers would work, but they have to be heated washers. The ice build up driving in road spray when it's 30 degrees is bad. I thought one of the auto manufactures actually put heating elements on their LED Headlamps? That's pretty bad. Safety hazard.

·
Read Only
395 Posts
This is an issue that will probably be addressed as more vehicles are equipped with LED headlights. Standard incandescent or halogen bulbs provide their own heat which helps keep the snow and slush from sticking on the lens cover. LEDs run considerably cooler which likely accounts for the build up. I can easily see some kind of heating system that is activated either independently or when something like a heated front windshield, back window or heated side mirrors are activated.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hello, does anyone else that lives in cold climate areas notice that the LED Headlamps don't work well even with a small amount to snow/ice on the lens?
This morning I was driving to work in sloppy slush and snow falling. It was clinging to the front of the car. I couldn't see hardly at all. Had to pull over and clean them off. The radar unit on the front (behind the Honda emblem) had a thick layer of frozen slush on it so that came on with a warning that "Auto Braking disabled" and a yellow brake light came on! Hate that! The bigger problem is the Headlights don't get warm and nothing melts off of them! They were covered in the same road gook and weren't lighting the road for me. I could barely see and had to pull over to clean them off a couple of times.
I think a lot of LED Headlamp cars have this problem. They need to make "heaters" for the lens or something to help deice the lamps.
My EXL has done the exact same things you posted above...The LED's just don't get warm enough to keep the ice & snow melted off...(Our Jeep Wrangler had the exact same problem along with all the Wrangler owners with LED's)...My radar unit also iced up and the dash displayed the "Auto Braking Disabled" message on the dash...

·
Read Only
160 Posts
Maybe spray some PAM on the headlights to keep them dry?
I notice a little bit of loss of light on my EXL when this happens but not enough to worry about. Its happened on a lot of cars with halogen too. At high speed in cold air the heat from your light bulbs certainly wont be enough to melt anything. The radiator heat is what would, but again not at speed. Radiator melts everything on the front of your car at idle and low speed. I’d suggest getting a screen to slide over the front of your radiator when its super cold. I’m on the hunt for an elegant solution. Used to use cardboard on my crv. Keeps the engine bay warmer like a ski mask for your car. Dont leave it on in the summer though you’ll overheat. Dont scrape ice off your headlights either or youll scratch them. Sometimes rubbing a little window wash solution at a gas station is enough. Remote start and idling in the cold help. Keeping your cabin temp low also helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
waxing the lens also helps or use rain-repellant like RainX

·
Read Only
160 Posts
I heard waxing headlights can cause them to cloud or yellow so I always avoid doing so.

sometimes the only thing that works is going through a car wash. Bonus you get salt off the car too.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I've done all this. Swenpaylay? Really. When we reach late fall or early Spring / Late winter, wet snow and freezing slush is an issue when driving here in the northern midwest states. Waxing lens doesn't help. I even stopped at the store to see if I could buy Spray De-Icer ... turns out you can't use on plastic lenses. It will damage them. Here's what they looked like. By the way, the radar unit in the Honda emblem was iced over and the emergency braking system turned off too. As I drove more, the problem got worse. I scraped with my finger nails on the lens to let some of the light out... LED lamps... they will need to put heaters on the lens to thaw them. It's a dangerous situation.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I heard waxing headlights can cause them to cloud or yellow so I always avoid doing so.

sometimes the only thing that works is going through a car wash. Bonus you get salt off the car too.
Kinda hard to do when you driving in the weather. You don't get it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Honda needs to get in contact with J.W. Speaker. SmartHeat – Heated LED Lights – J.W. Speaker

Unfortunately it looks like these are complete units. Didn't find a bulb replacement option with a heating element.
Already looked into it. It's a shame an "All weather / all terrain vehicle" has this issue.
I reported it to NHTSA today. It was that bad. And it' not the first time this has happened. You can be the only vehicle on the road, and the wet snow / ice stick and freeze on contact. After a short time the lighting level drops to where you can't see... you have no forward lighting. Once you block an LED's optics, they are pretty useless.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,170 Posts
Seeing pics like that strengthens my happiness in moving south.
In the 40 years I've lived here this (Jan 2018 pic) shows the single worst snow event we've had.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did a ceramic coating on my PP and did the headlight turn signal and brake and tail lights so far snow and ice don’t stick and rain runs off as the coating is slick and seals any imperfections in lenses .
You would have to reapply once a year as the coating wears off over time.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts