Honda Passport Forum banner

Just looking

990 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  scooter1 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

My wife and I are retired and currently live in Ukraine, but we are planning to relocate to Laughlin NV in the next year or two. I will be buying my (hopefully) last vehicle at that time, so reliability and longevity are key. I want something that will last 20 years.

I was originally planning to get a CPO Lexus GS sedan or RC coupe. However, since we will be living in the middle of the Mojave desert, a vehicle with AWD and higher ground clearance might be more practical. We have no kids or dogs to carry, and we don't plan on doing any rock-crawling or overlanding. We will want to explore the desert scenery off the pavement from time to time, but 95% of our driving will be on asphalt. My budget is roughly $40k.

I considered Toyota, but the 4runner is too utilitarian, and the RAV4 has major transmission issues. European and US makes are not reliable enough. So far, I have narrowed it down to:

Mazda CX-5... cons: has issues with front seat bolsters and cracked windshields, pros: low price, features, drivability

Subaru Crosstrek... cons: weak motor, pros: excellent ground clearance, features, manual transmission available, low price

Lexus NX300...cons: infotainment controls, mediocre ground clearance, pros: opulent interior, excellent reliability

Honda Passport: brand new vehicle...that's why I am here!

PS...the roads here in Ukraine would be considered "off road" in America.

See less See more
#2 ·
From my point of view, comparing the Crosstrek and the CX-5 to the Passport are comparing apples to oranges. The Crosstrek is in the smallest class CUV (like the Honda HR-V) and the CX-5 is the next size up (like the Honda CR-V). The Passport is larger than the Crosstrek and the CX-5 and has a V6 engine. I cant speak to the NX 300, but Lexus has nearly bulletproof reliability and I am sure it is quiet and has all the bells and whistles. Honda has a good reliability overall. The Passport is probably the quietest Honda I've driven. We arent off-roaders, but my wife loves having the larger cargo capacity and the power of the V6 as opposed to the 2017 CR-V we traded in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.