Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So members..now that the 2019 Passport has been out for over 8 months..What is the verdict of the jury..Is the 2020 Honda Passport worth purchasing?

·
Registered
383 Posts
So members..now that the 2019 Passport has been out for over 8 months..What is the verdict of the jury..Is the 2020 Honda Passport worth purchasing?
Yes.

Probably can close this thread now. ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
The 2019 was certainly worth purchasing, why wouldn't the 2020 be? ?‍♂

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,109 Posts
The verdict is GUILTY!
I'm guilty of enjoying my Passport!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me clarify my original post. I was not trying to infer that the 2020 Passport would be in any way materially different than the 2019 Passport. In fact I think it will be 99% pretty much the identical vehicle...with the same plusses and the same problems that have arisen with several present owners...ie; transmission issues, strange unexplained noises, display problems etc. My question was in effect asking, with all the problems that have occurred since the 2019 Passport was released in February would the existing owners still highly recommend this vehicle to a prospective buyer rather than some other vehicle in its class.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't have any of the noise/transmission/display problems that many do. I feel the Passport is a good vehicle. I could be a great vehicle with a few refinements.

Mine is an Elite. Add a 360 camera, add 2 more sensors front and rear, ACC that does a better job of slowing the vehicle - not hitting the brakes at the last second, infotainment system without all the bugs, blind spot notification moved to the mirrors, auto high beam system that actually works and get rid of the stupid push button shift thing.

Those are my complaints. I compare this car to my 2018 Ford F-150 that is flawless in all of the above areas. Would I buy this again or look elsewhere? I'd look at the 2020 Highlander and the CX-9 if I were in the market again. As I have said in other posts, the Passport is a nice car that needs further refinement. Since this is basically a Pilot that has been around for a while, the lack of refinement is a question mark.
Mike

·
Registered
923 Posts
We've all heard the old comment to never buy a car in its first year of introduction, if you do you will become its Beta testing group. However, with two flawless Honda's in the family (CRV and '12 Pilot) the PP was the perfect sized SUV for me. I'm very happy with my third flawless Honda (Elite, Lunar Silver) PP. I depended on the Honda reputation to sell me a flawless vehicle and, in my case, they did. For those that did not receive such a vehicle, it is incumbent on Honda to make good on its customer service and warranty agreements and make good whatever is required to satisfy the owner/customer. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My wife and I love ours. It's the Touring AWD. 2200 miles- we've had it since end of July. No problems at all. Very comfortable drive, infotainment works great and no transmission problems at all...Tomorrow's another day and we didn't compare to others since we wanted no 3rd row seating and lots of storage...

One thing that I don't see mentioned much is that the spare in the Passport is not exposed to the road. Not a huge deal, but it is inside the vehicle in compartment below the floor. My previous vehicle had the tire exposed to the road. The mechanism that held it was really close to rusting out and needing to be replaced. Getting the tire down to change was a pain too..IMHO.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Good point! Suspending the spare tire under the PP with all the "adventure" driving one might do, the spare is exposed to a lot of whatever is underneath it. As flats in my experience are seldom encountered, when I would need to access the spare, as Banjosteve points out, it might be rusted solid or fused to the underbody and be useless. Hopefully a seldom needed piece of equipment, but a thoughtful location (easy access, clean and, hopefully, inflated) for the spare. Let's be grateful for small miracles.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'll post a very long winded review tomorrow of over 50 things that drive me a bit nuts about the passport. About half are minor, and most are things that even my 2 hour test drive wasn't enough time to realize. The theme of most of them is Honda forcing stupid choices on the buyer like VCM, ANC, Auto Stop, and tons of others, or making things inconvenient by the way they choose to implement features. Honda has gotten really into making lots of decisions for you and frankly the car is inconvenient in minor ways on a regular basis. I get used to it but still. It will make more sense when I post my giant list, but my last car was a Kia Sorento and it was impeccably designed. Very few of its features annoyed me or inconvenienced me because they think things through. Buying the Passport was a compromise because the one thing Kia did wrong was having early engine issues just out of warranty. I don't hate the Passport at all, it drives nicely and is good enough for now, but I don't love it like I did the Sorento. That car just got almost everything right and Honda is not there on overall fit and finish. Most of their features have issues from the alleged adaptive cruise control to the over loud beeper to locking out menus and options at stupid times, etc.

More later, but my list of pros and cons is so long it will be its own thread.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll post a very long winded review tomorrow of over 50 things that drive me a bit nuts about the passport. About half are minor, and most are things that even my 2 hour test drive wasn't enough time to realize. The theme of most of them is Honda forcing stupid choices on the buyer like VCM, ANC, Auto Stop, and tons of others, or making things inconvenient by the way they choose to implement features. Honda has gotten really into making lots of decisions for you and frankly the car is inconvenient in minor ways on a regular basis. I get used to it but still. It will make more sense when I post my giant list, but my last car was a Kia Sorento and it was impeccably designed. Very few of its features annoyed me or inconvenienced me because they think things through. Buying the Passport was a compromise because the one thing Kia did wrong was having early engine issues just out of warranty. I don't hate the Passport at all, it drives nicely and is good enough for now, but I don't love it like I did the Sorento. That car just got almost everything right and Honda is not there on overall fit and finish. Most of their features have issues from the alleged adaptive cruise control to the over loud beeper to locking out menus and options at stupid times, etc.

More later, but my list of pros and cons is so long it will be its own thread.
Any problems with the transmission, instrument cluster or head unit?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Any problems with the transmission, instrument cluster or head unit?
Nothing severe on the head unit. The audio cuts out for a quick second when changing screens sometimes, but that is a design flaw not malfunction as far as I can tell. No instrument issues yet

On the transmission, it works pretty well in mellow driving, but has become confused quite badly and will not downshift after I need to throttle to pass someone on several occasions, staying high revved after I let off gas until I toggle drive mode or upshift then downshift with paddle shifters. It also hesitates sometimes. Definitely not as transparent to the driver as I expected for this price of vehicle and with how many cars Honda makes with the same parts. My overall opinion is this transmission design sucks. It has sucked for Jeep and every other brand that bought it. The 6 speed on both my 2009 Accord and my old Kia Sorento were flawless and predictable in all circumstances, completely intuitive and responsive. With refinements, I think this 9 speed could be very smooth but those dog clutches I wonder if the hesitations can ever be solved, and all the programming and complexity makes me think it will be years before Honda figures it out if they haven't in the 3 years they have put these into cars.

All these companies are putting out technologies that are not ready yet just to save a tiny amount of fuel on paper. 8-9 speed trans, cylinder management, eco modes, auto stop, etc. are all worth about maybe 2MPG in the most ideal conditions, and they cause tons of maintenance, experience, and safety issues. It really is stupid. Honda is not the only one trying these techs, but they are doing all of them at once and their refinement is no better than anyone else. We are the beta testers. :(

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think it is the government who is forcing this down the manufacturers throats to bring up the mpg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts