Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
Quieter ride. The old 2002 X5 had a lot of miles but it was very quiet. The Passport has window noise above 30 mph, like the window is slightly open. The suspension is also noisy at low speeds in the PP.

While I have no doubt about BMW's being quiet, having driven two over the last 16 years, the PP is very quiet, the Elite & Touring have something called Acoustic Glass, which is supposedly quieter than the Sport & EX models..

Which model do you have? You may have bad rubber stripping, someone else here had that and had the dealer fix it...

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
While I have no doubt about BMW's being quiet, having driven two over the last 16 years, the PP is very quiet, the Elite & Touring have something called Acoustic Glass, which is supposedly quieter than the Sport & EX models..

Which model do you have? You may have bad rubber stripping, someone else here had that and had the dealer fix it...

Cheers
EX-L.

I intend to bring it in eventually for the wind noise. I bought a Chevy SS in 2015 with the same issue. After some door adjustments, they were able to get it to go away. Hopefully it's that simple again or maybe like you said, the seal isn't quite right.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My Sorento was a great car in all respects but one. The engine components were not reliable past 100K. It had a lot that I miss:
Super comfortable seats, plush like a couch and supportive. The PP are supportive and not uncomfortable but very thin and slippery.
Rear seats were actually comfortable unlike the PP.
Programmable steering feel. I could make it feather light or heavy.
Every feature included worked flawlessly and was well thought out.
No transmission hesitation.
Real gear shifter for mountain driving. Paddle shifters are sometimes nice and sometimes really suck.
Passport is too wide. That 4 inches is a huge difference parking in tight spots.
5600k headlight color. I hate blue white of the PP.
Styling. My last SUV looked better to me, but was not reliable beyond 100K.
Ventilated seats and heated steering and side mirrors (I could have went up to elite, so my fault there).
Heated accessories worked better than PP, as did ventilated seats.
Better power liftgate. Programmable to any height just by holding a button and releasing.
Could disable liftgate beep with a simple setting.
Infinitely better sunroof (panoramic).
You could actually turn second row lighting on without being in 'door' mode (boneheaded Honda).
Better steering wheel control layout and a MUTE button (give me a break Honda).
Could start the car without pressing brake pedal (long press) which was great for camping or astrophotography trips.
No annoying VCM/Engine idle stop. (can be permanently turned off unlike Honda).
Did not have ANC and fake exhaust sounds in the cabin. I had to physically disconnect the ANC module from the PP to disable.
Much better AC controls with KNOBS instead of the tiny buttons and displays in the PP.
Rear AC went all the way to cargo area and had separate controls there.
Did not have dangerous collision mitigation system that has caused me many false positives and I now religiously disable after starting the PP.
Cruise control was better, significantly.
Better mirrors, particularly the rear view.
MUCH better backup camera image despite being years older. The PP camera gets dirty so easily and has a noisy muddled image in anything but bright daylight.
5000lb towing capacity without add ons.
Better cargo cover options that were higher from cargo floor and closer to rear seat.
Nearly the same cargo space as PP in practice if not spec, without being much taller and wider. Trade was about 1" of less ground clearance.

In short, it was a wonderful car that got everything so right except reliability of major engine parts, and one of the worst depreciation rates around. So I went back to Honda since Toyota offering was not comfortable to me, and Subaru uses no V6 and CVT, and Jeep has issues.

The PP is pretty nice, and has lots of stuff the Sorento didn't, key items being better AWD and slighty better off road, a bit quicker and more responsive, and should be at least somewhat reliable past 100K. However, it also has a lot of half baked and annoying features that are forced on the user. A car should not be distracting or setup without choice. The PP will do for now but I am not as fond of it as the last. With refinements it could have been incredible. I wish the trade had not been required, but it feels nice to have a reliable car and despite my like for the Sorento I couldn't risk another until I know they solved the engine issues.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Traded a Telluride EX. It had a much smoother ride and ventilated front seats. Obviously had 3 rows of seating which the Passport does not. It also had power folding side mirrors. On the flip side, my passport has remote start on the FOB, fog lights (LED), LED headlights, Homelink. I traded because I was worried the Kia would not hold its value as well as the Honda. I actually think I may have gotten that backwards. Oh well. It's a lease.
I hated Kia until I tried one, then owned a Sorento for 4 years and it was amazing- more refined than the Honda in most features. They depreciate like no other though, and I remain unconvinced they have fixed the engine component reliability issue yet. So I think you made an alright choice. Kia really nails their driver experience though and you get a heck of a lot for your money, unless you are one of the unlucky with early transmission or engine part wear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I hated Kia until I tried one, then owned a Sorento for 4 years and it was amazing- more refined than the Honda in most features. They depreciate like no other though, and I remain unconvinced they have fixed the engine component reliability issue yet. So I think you made an alright choice. Kia really nails their driver experience though and you get a heck of a lot for your money, unless you are one of the unlucky with early transmission or engine part wear.
I had the Kia for about 8 months with no issues. Within the first 2 months of owning the Passport I have already had an engine issue. I actually looked to see if I could trade out of it and back to a Telluride, but my passport is only worth like $28k now. (when I traded the Telluride, they gave me what I owed on it). Of course, I know the Telluride is hot right now. It may cool off in the not-too-distant future.

·
Super Moderator
1,439 Posts
I had the Kia for about 8 months with no issues. Within the first 2 months of owning the Passport I have already had an engine issue. I actually looked to see if I could trade out of it and back to a Telluride, but my passport is only worth like $28k now. (when I traded the Telluride, they gave me what I owed on it). Of course, I know the Telluride is hot right now. It may cool off in the not-too-distant future.

No offense, do you always make such rash decisions with vehicles?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Said by no married man EVER!
Surprisingly, my wife does not give me a hard time when it comes to my vehicle insanity. She's a keeper. Of course, each time I have changed vehicles (the last 2 times) I have lowered my lease payment significantly. That didn't hurt.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I miss:
  • the remote engine start via an app
  • vehicle illumination when using the FOB remote start
  • better ACC
  • visible ambient lighting
  • not seeing a disclaimer every time I start the vehicle
  • responsive transmission
  • location of the blind spot indicators
  • position of the parking brake
  • far fewer false alerts, mysterious alerts and the annoying beeps from them

·
Registered
180 Posts
i miss the ability to open the back window separately, too, but not as much as I thought I would. Turns out that the tailgate of my PP doesn’t need as much room behind it as my 2012 Pilot.
A few other things I miss from that car: CD player (apparently not even available as an option on the Elite), and a wide center armrest.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Funny how many people miss the CD player. I don't miss it at all these days. I hated carrying 8-Tracks, cassettes, as well as CD's. Cluttered up the car.

I thought I would miss the built in hard driver that my 2013 Pilot Touring had, but I don't even miss that. Probably a good thing since the Music Industry watchdog group complained about them.

If they take away my apple play though I'm gonna have to open a 55 gallon drum of whupass.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I traded my 2016 Accord. I miss the passenger side sideview mirror camera.
Oddly, the manual that was in my PP Elite when I purchased did mention that it was a feature but they obviously decided to remove it since they claimed the blind-spot detection was a better implementation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a 2018 Subaru Crosstrek. Traded for the Passport Elite because the Crosstrek was too small & uncomfortable for longer trips. I miss the 'trek's sharp streering, excellent Adaptive Cruise Control, fun-to-drive attitude, and fuel economy...but the Passport has it beat on comfort, quietness, power, refinement, and space. As an older guy (almost 68), I'm finding that comfort feels a lot better at the end of the day! I just wish they could fix the crackling/popping/snapping sound coming out of the radio speakers!!!!! But I had problems with the 'trek's infotainment system too.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts