Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried this option?

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,110 Posts
Wow, that's kinda cool, but I plan on sleeping in the back with the seats folded down...

Reactions: MikeE

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, that's kinda cool, but I plan on sleeping in the back with the seats folded down...
I will be testing the sleeping in my Passport this weekend!
There are zero hotels within 50 miles of Fort Bragg - so good thing I am 5' tall.

~ Heather

·
Registered
96 Posts
Plenty of room in the back. I’m 6’ tall and it works for me. Though a small tear drop trailer or roof top tent is being considered for the future

·
3,110 Posts
I have a bunch of tents of all shapes and sizes, but bought the Passport for sleeping in the back, when it is cold, windy or if I go solo camping.

What are people putting down in the back when you sleep back there?

I have one of these for my tent and intend on using it in the Passport as well:

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have a bunch of tents of all shapes and sizes, but bought the Passport for sleeping in the back, when it is cold, windy or if I go solo camping.

What are people putting down in the back when you sleep back there?
I am using this after folding down the 2/3 (driver's side) rear seat.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I also have these, which I might or might not deploy depending on how long I will be stopped, weather conditions, temp, etc.

• provides nice airflow through open rear hatch while still preventing insect critters from entering
  • setup time about < 10 min
  • provides airflow through rear windows
  • setup time approx. 1 min

In the last photo, I'm using a different sleeping pad (Exped SIM Comfort 10 LW) than I plan to use regularly and there is a bunch of extra stuff in there that I wouldn't normally carry. So far, I have slept in the back very comfortably for 8 nights including in heavy rain in a combination of national parks, national forests, and state parks.

Like @stevenD, I have a variety of tents that I travel with. I plan to always have a small 3 person tent stashed in the underfloor storage area (my minimalist setup for sleeping outside the car). For longer trips where I know I will be camped somewhere for more that 2 days, I carry a 6 person tent for my most comfortable setup. These are all solo trips.

Reactions: Passpartout

·
3,110 Posts
That's great set-up Homer! The Xped mats are supposed to real nice!

When camping with buddies, in decent weather I have a super nice Marmot tent:

It is so well designed, just a pleasure to use.

But when I go solo camping I have a 20-year old 3-person Dome tent that sets up in 60 seconds, that I play to bring to leave set up in my base camp, to establish a "presence"...

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's great set-up Homer! The Xped mats are supposed to real nice!

When camping with buddies, in decent weather I have a super nice Marmot tent:

It is so well designed, just a pleasure to use.

But when I go solo camping I have a 20-year old 3-person Dome tent that sets up in 60 seconds, that I play to bring to leave set up in my base camp, to establish a "presence"...
In reality, now that I have the Passport and have tested and feel comfortable sleeping in it, sleeping in the 3 person tent will likely never (or rarely) happen. I'll either be fully set up in the bigger tent that I can stand in, off the ground on a cot and with other comforts, or sleeping in the back of the Passport. The 3 person tent is for quick deployment to reserve a campsite if I still need to drive off somewhere, or for those places that say that some equipment is required and don't want people sleeping in cars (I've heard about them but haven't come across such a place yet.)

Reactions: rls002

·
Registered
18 Posts

I am interested in the megamat but 77” seems pretty long. I am a novice car camper and would like some tips on how you use it in the vehicle to be the most comfortable. Do you put anything under it (plywood) to give support to the gap behind the front seat? Or do you put the back seat all the way forward and have the gap behind the back seat? Do you sleep with your head towards the front or rear of vehicle

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am interested in the megamat but 77” seems pretty long. I am a novice car camper and would like some tips on how you use it in the vehicle to be the most comfortable. Do you put anything under it (plywood) to give support to the gap behind the front seat? Or do you put the back seat all the way forward and have the gap behind the back seat? Do you sleep with your head towards the front or rear of vehicle
There is enough room for the length of the Megamat with a few inches to spare. With the rear seat down there is still a gap behind the driver's seat which I use to store a few equipment bags and then I add available soft items (such as sleeping bag, spare tent, coat, etc) on top to make it level with the back seat. This works well without carrying something extra (plywood). I sleep with my head towards the front for air flow from the windows and access to items in the front seats. Also, there is a slight slope toward the rear, so its more comfortable with head higher than feet (its only a couple of inches). See the photo below for a general idea, but I've tweaked the configuration some since then including changing the mat.

Reactions: dpsatx
1 - 13 of 13 Posts