Honda Passport Forum banner

381 - 400 of 430 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Touring AWD
7 Posts
Hey all - I work as a Service Advisor for one of the top Honda dealerships in the country (Honda North in Danvers, MA). I have worked for Honda since age 15 (27 now). Honda is working diligently to fix all infotainment and crackling speaker issues. Our dealership has successfully fixed many of them so far, with the assistance from the field service tech from American Honda. It's only a matter of time before a permanent fix is put into place - whether it is wiring related, hardware, or software (or any combination of the 3).

I am taking delivery on my 2019 Passport Touring tomorrow - knowing these issue, I still chose to buy one. Looking forward to ownership of this amazing vehicle!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2020 Passport Elite - Modern Steel Metallic w/Black Leather
797 Posts
Unfortunately, the damage to the brand is done. I’m a loyal Honda customer, and still bought a 2020 PP, but this problem reminds me of issues that are typical of American brands. It brings back bad memories of when I owned Chevy, Dodge and Ford vehicles. Honda is not close to being as bad as those, but one long, drawn out problem like this will leave doubt in the minds of future converts to Honda. JM2C....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Unfortunately, the damage to the brand is done. I’m a loyal Honda customer, and still bought a 2020 PP, but this problem reminds me of issues that are typical of American brands. It brings back bad memories of when I owned Chevy, Dodge and Ford vehicles. Honda is not close to being as bad as those, but one long, drawn out problem like this will leave doubt in the minds of future converts to Honda. JM2C....

Please don't underestimate how difficult this problem is to fix. I truly believe it is because the wiring harnesses get kinked because of the way they were routed to the right rear (where the amp and other audio system devices are located) and also possibly behind the dash. I also think this problem is perpetuated by temperature change, and the connectors may suffer as well. I would say this issue is more consistent with European vehicles (because it is electrical and those cars have always been electrical nightmares).

I expect my 2019 Touring to have the issue at some point - and at that point I will get it fixed.👍

Additionally - I can PROMISE you that Honda is working 24/7 to figure out this problem. I'm on the front lines, and I am constantly being updated by our American Honda DPSM on the issue. Honda is not the only brand with this issue. If you truly feel this way, then call American Honda and file a claim. Once the issue is fixed, if you still have concerns, I guarantee that Honda will step up for you. As a manufacturer, they are really great to work with. Have some faith! They will make it right for everyone. Half of this is how the dealer presents the issue to the customers. My dealership has fixed almost every single one that has come through our doors. The early ones took multiple visits because of the lack of info. at the time, but we are now consistently fixing these on a regular basis. Stay tuned, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Chris

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Please don't underestimate how difficult this problem is to fix. I truly believe it is because the wiring harnesses get kinked because of the way they were routed to the right rear (where the amp and other audio system devices are located) and also possibly behind the dash. I also think this problem is perpetuated by temperature change, and the connectors may suffer as well. I would say this issue is more consistent with European vehicles (because it is electrical and those cars have always been electrical nightmares).

I expect my 2019 Touring to have the issue at some point - and at that point I will get it fixed.👍

Additionally - I can PROMISE you that Honda is working 24/7 to figure out this problem. I'm on the front lines, and I am constantly being updated by our American Honda DPSM on the issue. Honda is not the only brand with this issue. If you truly feel this way, then call American Honda and file a claim. Once the issue is fixed, if you still have concerns, I guarantee that Honda will step up for you. As a manufacturer, they are really great to work with. Have some faith! They will make it right for everyone. Half of this is how the dealer presents the issue to the customers. My dealership has fixed almost every single one that has come through our doors. The early ones took multiple visits because of the lack of info. at the time, but we are now consistently fixing these on a regular basis. Stay tuned, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Chris
Chris,

Please don’t take this the wrong way. I mean this will all sincerity. You are 27 years old, and still a bit wet behind the ears on this thing we call life. There are folks here that are 2 and 3 times your age. Some have owned more cars than your age. Many have owned several Hondas. I myself am on my 7th Honda, and probably my 20th car or so. I’ve been on the real “front line” before, with missiles flying overhead and caring for people with missing limbs, faces, etc. The service desk is not the front line. Back to the topic at hand....

This problem was caused by poor design, poor assembly, and shear stupidity. This is not the Honda of years past. I’ve loved all of my Honda’s, including my new Passport. Electronics are not new to vehicles. Yes, electronics have evolved with greater complexity. Cars are much smarter now. This does not mean that customers should give the manufacturer a pass on issues like this one. Honda has been well known for using mature technology, and not being cutting edge, which is a good thing. I like Hondas for this reason. It makes transitioning from one vehicle generation to the next a pleasant experience. Everything is where it should be, and you can expect everything to work. Saying other brands have similar problems means nothing to me. That’s just a cop out.

I would like a Honda Master Mechanic with decades of experience to chime in on this cluster &”?!. People spending 40k on a vehicle do not deserve to have their vehicle in the shop numerous times for this BS.

Like I said at the beginning, this is nothing personal, but I just don’t have a high degree of confidence in a 27yo service advisor. You may be a great guy, and a hard worker. You are obviously being a champion for Honda. We appreciate the insight that you can provide, but just understand that some of us may not quite buy into your positive statements. You wrote a lot of checks in your first post that you may not be able to cash, if you get my drift. Many of us have been around the block many times with dealerships and service departments. Customers get ticked when the service department says a vehicle is fixed, only to get half way home and have the problem return (several times).

Stay positive, but know your audience. Folks here are well versed in the infotainment system debacle, and have had some bad experiences.

Please continue to post. We want you to participate and exchange ideas and info, so stick around. I hope I haven’t turned you off. I’m just a very honest and upfront person with good intentions. Post pics of your new ride. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Chris,

Please don’t take this the wrong way. I mean this will all sincerity. You are 27 years old, and still a bit wet behind the ears on this thing we call life. There are folks here that are 2 and 3 times your age. Some have owned more cars than your age. Many have owned several Hondas. I myself am on my 7th Honda, and probably my 20th car or so. I’ve been on the real “front line” before, with missiles flying overhead and caring for people with missing limbs, faces, etc. The service desk is not the front line. Back to the topic at hand....

This problem was caused by poor design, poor assembly, and shear stupidity. This is not the Honda of years past. I’ve loved all of my Honda’s, including my new Passport. Electronics are not new to vehicles. Yes, electronics have evolved with greater complexity. Cars are much smarter now. This does not mean that customers should give the manufacturer a pass on issues like this one. Honda has been well known for using mature technology, and not being cutting edge, which is a good thing. I like Hondas for this reason. It makes transitioning from one vehicle generation to the next a pleasant experience. Everything is where it should be, and you can expect everything to work. Saying other brands have similar problems means nothing to me. That’s just a cop out.

I would like a Honda Master Mechanic with decades of experience to chime in on this cluster &”?!. People spending 40k on a vehicle do not deserve to have their vehicle in the shop numerous times for this BS.

Like I said at the beginning, this is nothing personal, but I just don’t have a high degree of confidence in a 27yo service advisor. You may be a great guy, and a hard worker. You are obviously being a champion for Honda. We appreciate the insight that you can provide, but just understand that some of us may not quite buy into your positive statements. You wrote a lot of checks in your first post that you may not be able to cash, if you get my drift. Many of us have been around the block many times with dealerships and service departments. Customers get ticked when the service department says a vehicle is fixed, only to get half way home and have the problem return (several times).

Stay positive, but know your audience. Folks here are well versed in the infotainment system debacle, and have had some bad experiences.

Please continue to post. We want you to participate and exchange ideas and info, so stick around. I hope I haven’t turned you off. I’m just a very honest and upfront person with good intentions. Post pics of your new ride. Best of luck to you!
I respect your comment and insight, and I understand that position 100%.

I will continue to update this thread as more information becomes available. I may be 27, but I have been around the block myself. I have owned 10 cars, (Passport will be number 11), 5 of them being Honda, and I have been nationally recognized as one of the top advisors in the country for American Honda, as well as Employee of the Year at my dealership (which has won President's Award 10 years in a row - 1 of only 12 dealerships that can say that). I am also the son of 3 time top-10 ranked master tech and shop foreman for Oldsmobile and Toyota - so please trust me when I make these comments.

In the service department, we are highly critical of Honda for some of the shit they have screwed up over the years - I definitely understand. Again, I will make sure to provide updates to this issue as I learn more.

Cheers! 👍

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I respect your comment and insight, and I understand that position 100%.

I will continue to update this thread as more information becomes available. I may be 27, but I have been around the block myself. I have owned 10 cars, (Passport will be number 11), 5 of them being Honda, and I have been nationally recognized as one of the top advisors in the country for American Honda, as well as Employee of the Year at my dealership (which has won President's Award 10 years in a row - 1 of only 12 dealerships that can say that). I am also the son of 3 time top-10 ranked master tech and shop foreman for Oldsmobile and Toyota - so please trust me when I make these comments.

In the service department, we are highly critical of Honda for some of the shit they have screwed up over the years - I definitely understand. Again, I will make sure to provide updates to this issue as I learn more.

Cheers! 👍
Thanks for your understanding Chris! You’re gaining some street cred now! Keep fighting the good fight!

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
I too have continuously had 2-4 Honda's in my home fleet since the late 80s; in my case the worst Honda was a (college daughter abused) 94 Civic.
However my worst ever car was a top of the line 85 Buick Electra Park Ave; I dumped it within 2 years - leading to my GM aversion / Import conversion.

As this problem has been reported for several years / across several pIatforms, I too expect more from Honda. Fortunately my PP has been flawless (and in being open - since 1998 - so have my Ford trucks).

I wish you similar success with your PP.

·
Registered
7 Posts
UPDATE on my 2019 Passport Touring-

I had the crackling speaker concern happen BRIEFLY - It was when the infotainment system was under load: I had the Navigation running, Apple Car Play was playing music, I was in Reverse, and I made a phone call through Apple Carplay all at the same time - this caused the speakers to crackle until I put the car in park (if was only a few seconds - but I have heard that noise enough to know what it was).

My dealership has the Honda Field Technician coming out this Thursday May 28th. He will be looking at 2 other vehicles, as well as my own 2019 Passport Touring. I will update this thread on Friday or Saturday this week once he "fixes" the issue (which he has successfully fixed many of them so far). I will try to get as much detailed notes as possible so you guys will have an idea as to what Honda is doing at this time to fix this issue!

Stay tuned! 😎

·
Registered
14 Posts
UPDATE on my 2019 Passport Touring-

I had the crackling speaker concern happen BRIEFLY - It was when the infotainment system was under load: I had the Navigation running, Apple Car Play was playing music, I was in Reverse, and I made a phone call through Apple Carplay all at the same time - this caused the speakers to crackle until I put the car in park (if was only a few seconds - but I have heard that noise enough to know what it was).

My dealership has the Honda Field Technician coming out this Thursday May 28th. He will be looking at 2 other vehicles, as well as my own 2019 Passport Touring. I will update this thread on Friday or Saturday this week once he "fixes" the issue (which he has successfully fixed many of them so far). I will try to get as much detailed notes as possible so you guys will have an idea as to what Honda is doing at this time to fix this issue!

Stay tuned! 😎
Chris - thank you so much for your posts and keeping us updated. It is reassuring to hear that Honda is actually working on a fix and it sounds like you are very proactive in the front lines trying to get this resolved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread for a long time hoping that I would read of a definitive solution to the sounds issues.

I have the 2019 Passport Touring. Shortly after receiving the car we started to hear little crackles in the sound every few seconds while listening to music. But the crackles have been pretty rare.

What I do usually hear is what sounds like a CD skipping due to scratches or a gap in the sound for a half second like what you sometimes hear on tv if someone curses and they censor it.

This happens every few seconds. Sometimes it takes a bit longer (maybe 10 seconds.)

Some days I don't hear it at all, others it starts within minutes of my drive.

I was wondering if the sound issues experienced by others resemble mine. I haven't seen anyone describe the sound like there being little half second silent gaps in the sound.

So am I experiencing the same issue as you all, just that it is just manifesting itself for me just a bit differently?

Thanks for your input everyone.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hey everyone, I've been reading this thread for a long time hoping that I would read of a definitive solution to the sounds issues.

I have the 2019 Passport Touring. Shortly after receiving the car we started to hear little crackles in the sound every few seconds while listening to music. But the crackles have been pretty rare.

What I do usually hear is what sounds like a CD skipping due to scratches or a gap in the sound for a half second like what you sometimes hear on tv if someone curses and they censor it.

This happens every few seconds. Sometimes it takes a bit longer (maybe 10 seconds.)

I was wondering if the sound issues experienced by others resemble mine. I haven't seen anyone describe the sound like there being little half second silent gaps in the sound.

So am I experiencing the same issue as you all, just that it is just manifesting itself for me just a bit differently?

Yes, I think it’s the same issue. Sometimes crackles, sometimes the cd skip type noises or both contemporaneously.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Yes. I had the skipping like a record as well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honda is finding out a variety of things regarding the crackling (which sounds exactly as described in comments above).

Some are REALLY bad and do it all the time no matter what you do. Some do it when the infotainment system is under load, some are worse in colder weather, and some are so intermittent and minor that a lot of owners don't even realize it's happening.

I have seen infotainment units replaced, dash harnesses replaced, amplifiers, rear tuners, rear wiring harnesses, FAKRA connectors, etc. etc... I will know more after the Honda field tech comes out on Thursday to look at 2 customer vehicles, and then my own 19 Touring. I'll keep ya'll posted! 😁

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there. We purchased a 2019 Honda Passport last December, 2019. We have had nothing but problems with it. Same problems over and over. Infotainment center goes blank, driver info goes blank...we get Brake Brake Brake when no one in front of us and no one beside us. Two times the car actually brakes and we were almost rear ended. We have had wiring harness replaced, repair, and recently rerepaired by an engineer that came to Tulsa to specifically look at it. Within 2 days after getting the car back, started this crap again. We are done. Car been in shop FIVE times for this! FIVE! And still not repaired. About to hire an attorney as American Honda is absolutely no help at all! My dealership is working hard on this, but their hands are tired, it's up to American Honda. The 2019 Honda passport is flat out dangerous!

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
Hi there. We purchased a 2019 Honda Passport last December, 2019. We have had nothing but problems with it. Same problems over and over. Infotainment center goes blank, driver info goes blank...we get Brake Brake Brake when no one in front of us and no one beside us. Two times the car actually brakes and we were almost rear ended. We have had wiring harness replaced, repair, and recently rerepaired by an engineer that came to Tulsa to specifically look at it. Within 2 days after getting the car back, started this crap again. We are done. Car been in shop FIVE times for this! FIVE! And still not repaired. About to hire an attorney as American Honda is absolutely no help at all! My dealership is working hard on this, but their hands are tired, it's up to American Honda. The 2019 Honda passport is flat out dangerous!
Hello Jeri, and welcome. However, it seems you may not be a long-term member here, I am very sorry to here about all the issues you have had with your Passport (and Honda) some of it does echo what others here have experienced.

This may seem hard for you to fathom, but not everyone is having these problems, probably less than 3 or 4 percent of total sales and the percentage of Passport owners having the catastrophic failures you're describing is probably less than 1 percent of the total sales, so again, it really sucks that you got such a lemon..

And please keep us updated on how this unfolds for you...

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I sure will. As very long time loyal Honda customers, this has surprised us to no end.
I recommend that everyone who has purchased a Passport complete the J.D. Powers survey when you receive it. Explain in detail exactly what is wrong with you vehicle. Honda has to see these results to wake them up and make some changes.

·
Super Moderator
1,947 Posts
I recommend that everyone who has purchased a Passport complete the J.D. Powers survey when you receive it. Explain in detail exactly what is wrong with you vehicle. Honda has to see these results to wake them up and make some changes.
I got that JD Powers survey and it was so long and detailed, I did not want to waste my time and threw it in the trash. I have two or three local companies that pay me $75-$200 to do in -person surveys, so if they want to pay me fine, if they are gonna put my name in a hat with 3,000 other people and award one per $500, no thanks...

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I got that JD Powers survey and it was so long and detailed, I did not want to waste my time and threw it in the trash. I have two or three local companies that pay me $75-$200 to do in -person surveys, so if they want to pay me fine, if they are gonna put my name in a hat with 3,000 other people and award one per $500, no thanks...
Yes it was long, about 15-20 minutes, but valuable info collection to identify info and satisfaction. Honda needs to see the results. That’s why we see only a small percentage of the problems, not reflecting the true number of vehicles with issues.

381 - 400 of 430 Posts