Honda Passport Forum banner

321 - 330 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
My car is in the shop for the 5th time. I first visited the Honda dealer that I purchased the vehicle from and they said I need to visit the dealership where it's being services to handle a lemon claim. I called Honda America's customer service number and started a buy-back claim. Not the best time to be doing this since hardly anyone is working. It was communicated that it might be delayed.

The service rep called and wanted me to exchange vehicles since my vehicle now constantly displays ‘Low Battery, Switch Off All Lights and Electronics’ now. I asked if it was necessary to have my car in since I'm going to do a lemon claim and he said yes, he doesn't want me to break down. The car is also making popping sounds that sound similar to rocks hitting the windshield. It also keeps displaying the “Network Communication Lost” and the display blacks out for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Honda calls me today and says it's their policy not to provide buy-backs but they will check in with the service manager to make sure they did everything possible to fix the car and get back to me. I will next send them a certified letter demanding a refund and see what happens. I'm not sure if the post office is open right now though. If nothing happens from that, I will hire a lemon attorney I guess.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My car is in the shop for the 5th time. I first visited the Honda dealer that I purchased the vehicle from and they said I need to visit the dealership where it's being services to handle a lemon claim. I called Honda America's customer service number and started a buy-back claim. Not the best time to be doing this since hardly anyone is working. It was communicated that it might be delayed.

The service rep called and wanted me to exchange vehicles since my vehicle now constantly displays ‘Low Battery, Switch Off All Lights and Electronics’ now. I asked if it was necessary to have my car in since I'm going to do a lemon claim and he said yes, he doesn't want me to break down. The car is also making popping sounds that sound similar to rocks hitting the windshield. It also keeps displaying the “Network Communication Lost” and the display blacks out for extended periods of time.
I had the popping sounds (sand hitting windshield) and loss of radio , loss of network and prolonged reboot. It was so bad that I couldn't go more than a quarter of a mile without it happening repeatedly. dash wiring harness replaced to no avail. Multiple tries at my former dealership , but then tried another (now my dealer) who had their radio person trace out all the wiring connections. He found a loose connection at the rear amplifier. He tightened the connection and I haven't had a return of symptoms since (several weeks now) - Suspect assembly defect. If it returns will change connectors or rear amplifier.

I would note that in my case, hitting a bump in the road would start the cycle or make it worse.

I would think that others who have this problem (speaker crackling, loss of network etc should have a competent radio tech check out all of the wiring connections including the rear speakers and rear amplifier (near rear passenger wheelwell. ). Hopefully this will resolve problems for many with similar problems. YMMV.

Let us know if others get a fix here.

Steve

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the popping sounds (sand hitting windshield) and loss of radio , loss of network and prolonged reboot. It was so bad that I couldn't go more than a quarter of a mile without it happening repeatedly. dash wiring harness replaced to no avail. Multiple tries at my former dealership , but then tried another (now my dealer) who had their radio person trace out all the wiring connections. He found a loose connection at the rear amplifier. He tightened the connection and I haven't had a return of symptoms since (several weeks now) - Suspect assembly defect. If it returns will change connectors or rear amplifier.

I would note that in my case, hitting a bump in the road would start the cycle or make it worse.

I would think that others who have this problem (speaker crackling, loss of network etc should have a competent radio tech check out all of the wiring connections including the rear speakers and rear amplifier (near rear passenger wheelwell. ). Hopefully this will resolve problems for many with similar problems. YMMV.

Let us know if others get a fix here.

Steve
That was one of the first repairs they made for my Passport.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My original dealer only checked the wiring harness near the radio and replaced that harness when that didn't work. Make sure that your dealer checked the routing to the rear amplifier as many dealers will not check other than around the radio itself..

This whole thing is sad because the car is really a beautiful product when it's working properly.

Steve

·
Super Moderator
1,604 Posts
My original dealer only check the wiring harness near the radio and replaced that harness when that didn't work. Make sure that your dealer checked the routing to the rear amplifier as many dealers will not check other than around the radio itself.

Steve
Great advice Steve, as it is hard to tell the difference between a faulty connection and a bad harness...!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My original dealer only checked the wiring harness near the radio and replaced that harness when that didn't work. Make sure that your dealer checked the routing to the rear amplifier as many dealers will not check other than around the radio itself..

This whole thing is sad because the car is really a beautiful product when it's working properly.

Steve
The dealership has re-routed all the wiring per the service pros guidance verifying with pictures. They did this twice. All the way to the amplifier too.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I know this isn't much help but I would suggest using another Honda dealer, they're not always EQUAL in capabilities.

Back in the early/mid 90s I had several problems with my dealers service dept. They corrected one mistake on their dime, the other time I had to pay (thru the nose) a second time.

Then there was a third incidence where my daughters 96? Civic AC gave out. I received a repair quote that seemed high so I sought a second opinion. At another (independent shop) they easily beat the Honda quote and their new mechanic was from the same Honda dealership - they used OEM parts.

Around the same timeframe I had a similar bad experience with the T'ota dealer, after several fails I went to an out of town T'ota dealer and had if (cheaply) fixed the first time.

Best of luck in resolving this.

321 - 330 of 330 Posts