Honda Passport Forum banner
378K views 1K replies 311 participants last post by  jayceegee 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have had my new 2019 Passport for about three weeks. Twice now the infotainment system stopped working. Both times, I was using Apple Play and Waze. A loud beep came on and then nothing. No Apple Play, no radio, ...nothing. The display was on (in fact it wouldn't turn off even when the car was off) and I was not able to use the radio (check tuner message appeared) or an other features. When I would try to check Bluetooth I got a message that said the car was still in motion even though I was parked.

I took it to the dealer who took out a fuse and reset the system. That worked for about two days and then it happened again. Any ideas? I have an appointment at the dealership but I am not optimistic. I do not want to have to reset the fuse every time I use Waze. I have read on other forums that using a USB keyboard to Cntl-Alt-Del will also work to reset the system but who wants to keep a keyboard in their car? Is anyone else having this problem?

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
My car is the Passport AWD Touring. So I was driving to a golf course and I had my iPhone plugged in. The apps that were running were the Apple Music app and Waze. All of a sudden i heard a pop and buzz sound over the speakers and from that point on no sound would play whatsoever. The music app would not work, the SiriusXM would not work and would display “tuner not found”. The fm/am would not play. No sound from any source would play. The unit display would work perfectly fine and was fully operational however, but would not shut off. So when I turned the car off and opened the drivers door the display was still on. I was very concerned about this running down my battery.

I had to take the car back to the dealer. They had to disconnect the battery to shut the display off. The dealer said they think that the non apple iPhone cord might have been the problem. So I went and bought a apple branded lighting cord and it worked good the rest of today.

This morning I struck out again, pulled up Waze and Apple Music and the same thing happened again. I took it back to the dealer and now they are saying they think a bug in Waze app is causing the issue. So starting now I won’t be using Waze. I hope it is the Waze app causing this issue.

#203 ·
My car is the Passport AWD Touring. So I was driving to a golf course and I had my iPhone plugged in. The apps that were running were the Apple Music app and Waze. All of a sudden i heard a pop and buzz sound over the speakers and from that point on no sound would play whatsoever. The music app would not work, the SiriusXM would not work and would display “tuner not found”. The fm/am would not play. No sound from any source would play. The unit display would work perfectly fine and was fully operational however, but would not shut off. So when I turned the car off and opened the drivers door the display was still on. I was very concerned about this running down my battery.
I had to take the car back to the dealer. They had to disconnect the battery to shut the display off. The dealer said they think that the non apple iPhone cord might have been the problem. So I went and bought a apple branded lighting cord and it worked good the rest of today.
This morning I struck out again, pulled up Waze and Apple Music and the same thing happened again. I took it back to the dealer and now they are saying they think a bug in Waze app is causing the issue. So starting now I won’t be using Waze. I hope it is the Waze app causing this issue.
Yesterday on my way to work everything worked fine, then on way home the music wouldn’t play I got the “radio unavailable” error. I didn’t have iPhone plugged in and I don’t use Waze. When I got home I tried turning off PP to see if it would reset itself, but it didn’t and the screen would not turn off once door was opened either. Some settings like vehicle were unable saying car was in motion - I was parked in driveway in Park! Finally found online were other owners pulled the radio fuse so I found that and pulled and plugged it back in. For now it cleared up. I’ll drive today and see what happens. I live 2 hours from a dealer so not sure at this point it’s worth drive. I was looking online and Pilot owners are having same issues! Ugh!

#3 ·
I have had my new 2019 Passport for about three weeks. Twice now the infotainment system stopped working. Both times, I was using Apple Play and Waze. A loud beep came on and then nothing. No Apple Play, no radio, ...nothing. The display was on (in fact it wouldn't turn off even when the car was off) and I was not able to use the radio (check tuner message appeared) or an other features. When I would try to check Bluetooth I got a message that said the car was still in motion even though I was parked. I took it to the dealer who took out a fuse and reset the system. That worked for about two days and then it happened again. Any ideas? I have an appointment at the dealership but I am not optimistic. I do not want to have to reset the fuse every time I use Waze. I have read on other forums that using a USB keyboard to Cntl-Alt-Del will also work to reset the system but who wants to keep a keyboard in their car? Is anyone else having this problem?
I literally just posted the same thing before seeing your post.

#10 ·
Omg this is too strange, i was just about to write everyone to let them know about my adventure to the dealer to help me turn off the touch screen as it wouldnt shut off and then i read this thread it describes exactly what happened to me. Except the dealer disconnected the battery to reset the system and it is back to factory settings.

I was using waze and carplay when it happened. Now what? I dont think i will chance waze again!

#13 ·
Reading the above (and the Waze forum where there seem to be a number of issues with Waze/CarPlay), here is my current workaround (I rarely use Waze). I removed the icon from CarPlay altogether in iOS settings.

Text Product Screenshot Font Technology

#19 ·
Hello! I have the 2019 Passport Elite and everything worked fine for the first 2 weeks then I used the Nav system and now siri will not work in my carplay. Carplay comes up on the screen and you can push the buttons but when you try and tell her to do something she either says that she cannot hear you or has lost her internet connection but in reality she has not as I can unplug her and ask the same question and she will answer. The mic in the Passport works. I have done factory reset on radio and iPhone. Been on the phone over 2 hours with Apple support and cannot figure it out - any suggestions? Other than that, I really like the Passport. Thanks!

#24 ·
... I have read on other forums that using a USB keyboard to Cntl-Alt-Del will also work to reset the system but who wants to keep a keyboard in their car? Is anyone else having this problem?
1st week of ownership, was using Waze via Apple Carplay and ended up freezing the infotainment unit. It seemingly happened at random. I did not provide any user input and was using Waze and Amazon Prime Music Streaming at the time of the occurrence. I too received an audible beep and then silence. At this point, I couldn't even use the AM/FM radio ("App" wouldn't load) function but oddly enough, I still retained usage of Sirius sat radio and most of the menu navigation control but nothing else would load. After arriving at my work, when I turned off the engine and opened the door, I noticed that the infotainment unit did not power down. Later in the day, I did some research on other forums and to your comment, found the thread on using a USB keyboard. (Sidenote: Another work around was to turn down the screen brightness to the off position until you can properly reboot the unit.) I grabbed one from the office, plugged it in the USB port, did the ol' Cntrl+Alt+Del and the infotainment unit went through the reboot sequence and was working fine after that.

After some additional forum research, I too found that Apple Carplay in general has been historically buggy with not only the Honda Infotainment units which makes sense that essentially you're trying to marry 2 software systems to each other which is often times is a mixed bag of results for the consumer.

Because of my worry of battery drain should I dare to use Waze/Carplay while on a roadtrip, I'm thinking of experimenting with finding a portable/folding USB keybaord to enable me to manually reboot the infotainment unit should experience this again outside of my home area.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Reactions: Red Suns
#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
I found this related thread on the Piloteers forum:

https://www.piloteers.org/forums/114-2016-third-generation-pilot/159521-display-audio-constantly-2019-pilot.html

There might be some other issues (due to defective wiring?) mixed in but it will be good to keep an eye on these issues since the Passport is essentially the same as the Pilot.

I have decided to disable CarPlay completely (already done) since I can still do all the things I want to do using Bluetooth Handsfree for phone functions and Bluetooth audio for apps.

My current assessment is that all CarPlay gives me is a bigger screen and tighter integration for the phone, but some apps have fewer features using CarPlay (eg. I listen to Audible audiobooks on long trips, but it has a reduced feature set in CarPlay so I still have to use the phone for some things, like changing chapters.) There are other issues or things missing with other apps.

I'm interested to hear other opinions on the real utility of CarPlay (after the :cool: factor wears off).

Edit: I think I'll still invest in a small portable keyboard, just in case.

#31 ·
Come to think of it, I have not done an update to the infotainment system.

Anyone know if 1: there is an update available and 2. Does it correct the waze and other carplay issues?

As soon as I go home I will try and connect wirelessly to my home network from the garage and see if I can get the update to install. I have not started the Honda wireless subscription yet...

#32 ·
Come to think of it, I have not done an update to the infotainment system.

Anyone know if 1: there is an update available and 2. Does it correct the waze and other carplay issues?

As soon as I go home I will try and connect wirelessly to my home network from the garage and see if I can get the update to install. I have not started the Honda wireless subscription yet...
When I first connected to Wi-fi, there was an update available. Once you set it up for your home network, you should see any updates available when you start the car.

I think the issues with CarPlay/Waze are iOS and app bugs ...

#34 ·
Here are some good tips for CarPlay and some insight that freezes are common (and not limited to the Passport). I'll probably enable it again and see what happens...

Reactions: Red Suns
#39 ·
Anyone have any issues with the infotainment system? Suddenly no audio, no sound for any connected device or even radio. Some features state it won’t work while car is moving- car is stopped; some say it won’t work while car is off - car is on and vice versa.

#163 ·
This just happened to me as well. Unfortunately, removing fuse 15 did not work; had to disconnect power from battery. One more thing to add to 5000 tune up / check up, which is coming up soon. Will carry tools with me to disconnect power again if this issue reoccurs. Thanks for the tips on this forum. Very helpful.

#40 ·
Have you tried a hard reboot? In my CRV, you could hold down the volume knob for several seconds and the system would reboot. Worth a try.

#41 ·
I’m at the dealership now with what is likely the same problem. While I was driving, the audio stopped. No sound. Can’t find tuner.

The really bad part of it is the central display won’t turn off when car is turned off. Tried the hard reset. Thankfully, this happened while the dealership is open so I took it in when I ran out of ideas.

#44 ·
I’m hoping I don’t have to resort to that. The ability to use Waze was one of the reasons I traded in my old Pilot. I’d be willing to cart around a cheap USB keyboard if that really works to reboot the system.

My PP has 5,500 miles on it, and almost always using CarPlay apps. This is the first problem I’ve had.

I’ll be interested in what the dealer tells me.

#45 ·
I’m hoping I don’t have to resort to that. The ability to use Waze was one of the reasons I traded in my old Pilot. I’d be willing to cart around a cheap USB keyboard if that really works to reboot the system.

My PP has 5,500 miles on it, and almost always using CarPlay apps. This is the first problem I’ve had.

I’ll be interested in what the dealer tells me.
Curious what is your oil life at? Also some found wait until infotainment comes on before initiating Waze. Might help in future.

Thanks