Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -

I own a 2020 Passport Ex Awd. Like many passport owners, I had major problems with my infotainment system (cracking sound from the speakers etc). Last year the dealer replaced the most cables and problem was allegedly fixed.
I noticed the same issue is back and the cracking / chirping sounds are back again. Extremely annoying. !

i am curious to know ifAnyone else experience the same issue after the most cables was already replaced.

The warranty will cover the repairs but I really don’t want the dash to be taken apart again.

any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.
Ara

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had my replaced about year (little more ?) as well. This was 2nd attempt after the initial one which the "fix" lasted only 5-6 months. I dont think the problems came back but I find myself little sensitive. Also, I was told ( did you ?) that the crackling fix does not cover audio when you are streaming audio (blue tooth) .. for example from your phone. I was told Honda is "working on it". I think I still hear "stuff" when streaming but since I dont do much of it, I just live with it.

I think Honda is just waiting things off and see where the pieces fall. I think they are less than transparent and react while complain a lot. To get the 2nd fix, I had to go to different dealer (1st simply said "we did all we could and what Honda told us") . The next one call the Honda FAE to come out and do the work.

I simply thing that audio connectors do not hold up over time and loosen up as you travel. Optical audio is sensitive to loose things.

I am somewhat disappointed how Honda handles this issue. I figure if returns, the 2nd dealer will say "we did all we could ..." and "Honda is working on it...". I think Honda is working to figure out the cost for proper fix and whether it is simpler to do some sort of settlement at the end.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I had my replaced about year (little more ?) as well. This was 2nd attempt after the initial one which the "fix" lasted only 5-6 months. I dont think the problems came back but I find myself little sensitive. Also, I was told ( did you ?) that the crackling fix does not cover audio when you are streaming audio (blue tooth) .. for example from your phone. I was told Honda is "working on it". I think I still hear "stuff" when streaming but since I dont do much of it, I just live with it.

I think Honda is just waiting things off and see where the pieces fall. I think they are less than transparent and react while complain a lot. To get the 2nd fix, I had to go to different dealer (1st simply said "we did all we could and what Honda told us") . The next one call the Honda FAE to come out and do the work.

I simply thing that audio connectors do not hold up over time and loosen up as you travel. Optical audio is sensitive to loose things.

I am somewhat disappointed how Honda handles this issue. I figure if returns, the 2nd dealer will say "we did all we could ..." and "Honda is working on it...". I think Honda is working to figure out the cost for proper fix and whether it is simpler to do some sort of settlement at the end.
The wife drives a 2020 Passport Touring, we have had one "fix" for the MOST/FAKRA connectors issue under warranty. The fix is holding but because of reports of Passport owners having to go for second and third fixes we live in dread of having the dash taken apart again or having the entire interior ripped out in order to have the floor wire harness replaced (horror!) as some owners have had in order to correct the same problem. I'm suspicious that all that disassembly/reassembly by the dealer will only create some other problem(s).

I hate having to be anxious about something in my car failing, we replaced the OEM battery, installed a trickle charger and an Idlestopper because of this. I have considered replacing the infotainment system with an after market, wireless Android Auto unit from Pioneer or JVC but that is no longer possible for modern cars because manufacturers are hard wiring the stock infotainment system into the backbone of the car itself.

I'm presently driving a 2008 Honda Pilot that has been largely trouble free even with it's high mileage, I bought it new and have had no remarkable issues with it. I've been looking to replace it because I want modern electronics, however, I'm wary of trading it and buying a new car that has to make multiple visits to the dealer's service department. I've owned Honda cars all my life and do not wish to switch to a different manufacturer, but I'm disappointed Honda is not making the decision to purchase a new Honda SUV easy for me.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,550 Posts
My 2019 PP Touring had the "fix" performed on it a long time ago now. I did not take it in when the fix first became available, as I wanted the tech @ my local dealer to have fixed a large number of them FIRST...

I recall reading through the correction instructions (they were/are posted here somewhere) and they were somewhat complex and needed to be followed completely to ensure the proper fix!

My guess is that a lazy/incompetent/uncaring tech will not follow them (completely) and thus would leave that vehicle open to repeat issues.

I also talked with my Service Advisor to make sure the Tech doing my work was experienced.

Fast forward to today, and remember I have a $12k+ custom car stereo installed and I have had ZERO repeats and fully trust that is was properly fixed the first time.

So for anyone with repeat issues, go ahead and complain to Honda Corp, as they need to know which dealers are doing half-ass fixes and consider taking it to a different dealer (if possible) or at least reviewing the Honda repair documented instructions and ENGAGING with Service Advisor and or Service Tech when you return it for the second time to make sure they understand your expectations...

Good Luck

Reactions: BrianLOregon

·
Registered
149 Posts
I agree with your half ass comment. The dealer 2 miles away from me does half ass work. One trip for oil change resulted in two descent spots on the driveway as the were too lazy to clean up properly. Now I drive around 15 miles to another one. I wish I had not gone to them for the initial crackling fix

·
Registered
836 Posts
At around 10,700 miles, I got the crackling/popping noise (even when the radio was off). I took it in and it was fixed for about 6 months. I have not been back to the service department.
Mysteriously, the popping stopped and the radio started working as it should. At this point, I decided not to use the knob to turn it on or off. Not touching the knob seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does anyone have a video of someone doing the infotainment system fix by the book? It might be helpful for tech inclined members to do the fix themselves instead of trusting the fix to the opaque process at the dealer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I was told the crackling sound fix would take of all the issue regardless of the type of audio input (am/fm, CarPlay, Bluetooth, phone call etc). The crackling sound is back on regardless of the Audio input. Even when the system is off and there’s no music.

it’s very annoying.

·
3,550 Posts
It's a loose/faulty connector, as far as I know,

Just needs to be secured/replaced and all should be fine...

Reactions: Vash_Stepler

·
3,550 Posts
I‘ve had my 2019 fixed four times. I’ll most likely dump it next summer.
Sounds like "fixed" is not the correct term, more like "worked-on"...

I'm really sorry too, because, you will always be jaded (as I would be), as the Passport (for many others) is a wonderful vehicle...!

Reactions: esto70

·
Registered
149 Posts
Stupid question....the counterpart Pilot...is essentially the same car. ....do they also have those issues? Looking inside one ... same layout. ..sane HU...

I can see honda blowing off passport info issues..I can't see them doing same with pilot

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
66 Posts
I'm really sorry too, because, you will always be jaded (as I would be), as the Passport (for many others) is a wonderful vehicle...!
It is what it is. I actually really like my passport. I’m currently typing this after a 3000 mile road trip to Colorado. The passport was super quiet, super comfortable, and got decent gas mileage for a mid size vehicle. I have no faith in the radio, however. I’m seriously considering trading it for a 22 or 23 when they come out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Stupid question....the counterpart Pilot...is essentially the same car. ....do they also have those issues? Looking inside one ... same layout. ..sane HU...

I can see honda blowing off passport info issues..I can't see them doing same with pilot
The head unit in the Pilot and the Passport are identical. Some Pilot owner are having same issue.
Honda's TSB lists vehicle affected to include 2018+ Odyssey, 2019+ Pilot and 2019+ Passport. I find it somewhat interesting that the 2019+ Ridgeline is not listed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
After retirement, I worked at a Honda dealer for a couple of years in a low level position. I still know a number of people in the service department. According to the service manager, who is a really good guy, very competent, and a straight shooter, the root cause of the problem is the length of the cable. He says it has to be stretched tight in a confined space to get it plugged in. There's tension on the cable and connector, so over time, with vibration, etc., the problem can reoccur. He says if Honda would give them another inch of cable there would be no problem.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite in Deep Scarlet Pearl and Gray Interior
10 Posts
Hello all -

I own a 2020 Passport Ex Awd. Like many passport owners, I had major problems with my infotainment system (cracking sound from the speakers etc). Last year the dealer replaced the most cables and problem was allegedly fixed.
I noticed the same issue is back and the cracking / chirping sounds are back again. Extremely annoying. !

i am curious to know ifAnyone else experience the same issue after the most cables was already replaced.

The warranty will cover the repairs but I really don’t want the dash to be taken apart again.

any feedback is appreciated.
Thanks.
Ara
We own a 2020 Passport Elite. The first attempt to fix the Snap, Crackle and Pop issue was some time during early 2021. I was under the impression that they had replaced the main electrical harness. Much later I was told by a different service tech that what they actually did was replace the metal point contacts (don’t remember what they are called) at every branch of the original harness. Sometime during September/December 2021. Snap, Crackle and Pop returned alive and well. I initially spoke with the second service tech about the return of the “SCP” sometime during January/February/March 2022. He said that the permanent fix is to completely replace both, the main floor harness running from front to back of the PP and the smaller harness in the instrument panel. The guy called us when they received the new parts from Honda, and we dropped the PP off at the dealer on June 13, 2022 at about 3:00 pm. Three days later on June 16, 2022 at 9:00 am, the service tech called me and advised that the two-day or so body-length surgery was successfully completed. We picked up the PP. As of today no more Snap, Crackle and Pop. We will see how long it lasts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts