Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello Jim, sorry to hear about your predicament, how many dealers told you this? And where are you located?

I strong suggest you elevate your concern directly to Honda Corp (in California)...
I only tried the dealership that I have had a relationship in the past. There are others around, but it doesn't seem like it should be so hard quite frankly.
How do I "elevate my concern"?

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I only tried the dealership that I have had a relationship in the past. There are others around, but it doesn't seem like it should be so hard quite frankly.
How do I "elevate my concern"?
Contact Honda Customer Service

Also, warranty is specific: 5 years, 60,000 miles for the MOST bus network connectors.
Could/did dealership confirm/duplicate the "crackling" failure? Did they provide service order documentation that stated they verified/acknowledged the "crackling"?
Replacement parts can fail, and techs can do substandard work. In fact tech service errors even resulted in a Honda TSB
And take your business to a different Honda dealership . . . not all service personnel are created equal. Good Luck

Reactions: stevenD

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD
50 Posts
I just had the repair done yesterday. Too soon to tell if it worked since the problem is so intermittent and not every day, but the dealer had no trouble doing the repair without duplicating the problem as long as the code that gets thrown was in the computer (which it was). Dropped car off in the morning, it was done by afternoon. Service writer knew of the issue and the warranty extension letter as soon as I said the radio made popping noises. I wasn't the first one there for the problem.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Heads up, at the dealer as I type this and they're refusing to fix the issue because the car "doesn't have a code" that the Honda service computer can read. They want me to drive around and come back when it is actively popping, and then I assume hope it throws a code. Mine has done the popping ~5 times, a restart stops it temporarily.

I have video of it. No dice, they won't accept that.

I'm on the phone with Honda Customer Care right now.

This is my last Honda.

FYI Autonation Honda Dulles.
That’s definitely your dealer. When I brought mine in for the 6th time a few weeks ago , my service advisor even mentioned how early I had problems and said “that was even before the TSB and 5 year/60k warranty extension”
Go somewhere else

·
Registered
450 Posts
Boy I can’t f’ing wait to deal with this bullshit, my ‘21 EXL just started doing this last week. I knew owning this over tech new vehicle would be nothing but problems, 15 years of owning my element with not one issue and the PP made 10 months, can’t wait to see what the next 14 years 2 months brings

·
Registered
836 Posts
Heads up, at the dealer as I type this and they're refusing to fix the issue because the car "doesn't have a code" that the Honda service computer can read. They want me to drive around and come back when it is actively popping, and then I assume hope it throws a code. Mine has done the popping ~5 times, a restart stops it temporarily.

I have video of it. No dice, they won't accept that.

I'm on the phone with Honda Customer Care right now.

This is my last Honda.

FYI Autonation Honda Dulles.
The Honda appointment person told me that I should record/video the popping noise, but the service manager said they would install the recommended parts, for recommended job #52HOZ03
2 ea 39817-tjb-ac0 Housing
1 ea 39165-tg7-ac0 Cord, mos
1 ea 39165-tg7-ad0 Cord, mos

Here's the invoice's description, of job 1 of 2:
Customer states has a crackling/pop noise coming from speakers.
Noticed while on a road trip. Please Advise.
Checked Shutdown Log. Found meter critical unlock present.
Need to perform operations in warranty extension 21-012
Performed operations in bulletin/warranty extension 21-012
Replaced FAKRA connectors, installed extension cords on mete
and inspected all other MOST system connections. Cleared shutdown log.

While the Passport was there they did job 2 of 2: #59HOZ01 factory recalls 20-047 : 6mb00 - 2018 - 21 multimodel gauge module sw upd
ate noncompliance
performed update procedure

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Elite, Modern Steel Metallic/Black
129 Posts
Mine was done about 4 weeks ago. The popping started at about 9000 miles and would get really bad. The dealer said the parts were backordered, but they called me when the parts arrived. So far, so good, but hoping for the best

Reactions: Powdertrax

·
Registered
450 Posts
The three local dealers I called seemed very hesitant or dumbfounded on my appointment description, even when I mentioned the service bulletin. Hopefully it will act up while I drop it off because today on my way home from work it didn’t do it. I’d rather them just do it regardless so I don’t have to set another appointment only to not have it work again

I’m dropping it off Thursday night and picking up (hopefully) Friday

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hopefully it will act up while I drop it off because today on my way home from work it didn’t do it. I’d rather them just do it regardless so I don’t have to set another appointment only to not have it work again

I’m dropping it off Thursday night and picking up (hopefully) Friday
Look at pages 4 and 5 of that TSB. It instructs on how the techs should initially check the infotainment system for errors.
When my Passport audio starting crackling, I followed those same instructions and found 3 error codes. Service advisor did not hesitate to initiate a service order when I told her about those codes. In fact she was amazed I researched the problem and knew what to look for.

This forum and members have incredible amount of information :love:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Holy s**t I just looked at the service bulletin to see what was involved with completing this TSB, and with my past experiences with any business involved with automobile (except Main Street Auto in Monroe Wa.) repair, bodywork, warranty work, tire install/rotations etc, I’m sure my stress level will go throw the roof again.

Just by the number of interior panels they have to remove and reinstall I can guarantee tapered gaps, uneven panels, scratches/cuts, stripped or missing fasteners etc. As you can probably figure I have dealt with that shit one to many times. I’ve been an interior installer for 33 years on very very expensive airplanes (one customers first class seats are $3 million for 6 seats) so I consider myself very experienced in gaps, scratches etc. so dealing with subpar work pisses me off especially when all you get is excuses in return.

These people have forgotten that the vehicle they are working on is a large investment and it belongs to their customers and should be handled with kid gloves.

Going out now to try and retrieve the codes.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well so far so good, it’s been fixed for about a month now and no problems (yet).

If you live in the Everett Wa area I took mine to Marysville Honda, they had my PP for about half a day

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, popping noise returned on my 2020 Passport. Not as frequent or annoying as before, but definitely still there, and now it seems to happen more often even when the audio isn't even turned on. Back to the dealer eventually.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, popping noise returned on my 2020 Passport. Not as frequent or annoying as before, but definitely still there, and now it seems to happen more often even when the audio isn't even turned on. Back to the dealer eventually.
I thought I was going crazy - I am also hearing the popping and cracking noise with the system turned OFF
The maddening thing is it is intermittently appearing - not always there - but often enough to make me grumpy
It goes in next week for 'repairs' - this should be a treat .

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought I was going crazy - I am also hearing the popping and cracking noise with the system turned OFF
The maddening thing is it is intermittently appearing - not always there - but often enough to make me grumpy
It goes in next week for 'repairs' - this should be a treat .
Turn the volume on System Sounds to the lowest and the noise will go away when the radio is off. Some relief!

·
Registered
41 Posts
UPDATE --
The dealership did the recall with the new style connectors - So far - GOOD !
Now if I could get Pandora to stop 'pausing' while using Android Auto for navigation my ride would be better -
I suspect that is an Android/Pandora thing rather than a Honda system thing.

Reactions: JLH

·
Registered
50 Posts
UPDATE --
Now if I could get Pandora to stop 'pausing' while using Android Auto for navigation my ride would be better -
I'm bringing mine back soon. The fix did nothing for mine, hope yours is more successful. Problem tends to be worse when using Bluetooth Audio, but happens with other audio sources as well, including when off if I don't have System Sounds (meaning the noise you hear as you push buttons on the screen to navigate) muted.

·
Registered
200 Posts
UPDATE --
Try a different cable... We had the same issue & it was evidently in the new cable.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts