Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in August, 2020, Honda issued Service Bulletin TSB 20-058 Display Audio Failure, with it's 'FIX' for the popping & crackling speakers, and no sound from audio, and network lost faults. Reviewing feedback on this forum it appears this TSB solved almost all those specific issues. That TSB was great news to those that suffered from those problems.

But for those individuals that are more 'hesitant' to have Honda Techs touch their vehicle (are you reading this ProdGirl?), not even to complete the Passport recall [TSB 20-047] now may be a good time to address any Display Audio problems, or do it just in case. The 'old' [TSB 20-058 for Display Audio Failure] bulletin is still in effect, but Honda just released new TSB 21-012 that offers to not only repair the issue, but Honda is now extending their warranty for those parts/repair to 5 years or 60,000 miles (original TSB had no warranty).

[Edit] - This new warranty extension bulletin is effective on audio repairs completed after February 18, 2021. Don't know if Honda will issue some other form of warranty letter for those that had same work completed previously on TSB 20-058. I had dealership complete this TSB on mine (though I didn't actually have ANY problems or symptoms) just for the extended warranty, in case something comes up later.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,871 Posts
Yeah, yeah...I still haven’t taken mine in. I’m a stubborn polack, what can I say?
It sounds like I’ve got 58,000 miles to get it fixed tough!

To be honest, I don’t think I’ve driven since the last time I mentioned it. Thursday, I plan to crawl thru the moon roof and get out of my garage to recharge the battery and move the tires around while getting some errands done.

Thanks for thinking of me Panda!
- Heather

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,550 Posts
I’m a stubborn polack, what can I say?
Wait a minute, I happen to be a big fan of pollacks and since this poor fish cannot come on here to defend itself, I will say they are not stubborn! Scaley, yeah, fishy smelling: I guess, but not stubborn, even when they are in school! You can read more about them here:

Yeah, yeah...I still haven’t taken mine in.
IF ONLY YOU HAD SOME FREE TIME...!

Thursday, I plan to crawl thru the moon roof and get out of my garage to recharge the battery and move the tires around while getting some errands done.
I KNEW IT...!

Reactions: ProdGirl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heads up, at the dealer as I type this and they're refusing to fix the issue because the car "doesn't have a code" that the Honda service computer can read. They want me to drive around and come back when it is actively popping, and then I assume hope it throws a code. Mine has done the popping ~5 times, a restart stops it temporarily.

I have video of it. No dice, they won't accept that.

I'm on the phone with Honda Customer Care right now.

This is my last Honda.

FYI Autonation Honda Dulles.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,871 Posts
Heads up, at the dealer as I type this and they're refusing to fix the issue because the car "doesn't have a code" that the Honda service computer can read. They want me to drive around and come back when it is actively popping, and then I assume hope it throws a code. Mine has done the popping ~5 times, a restart stops it temporarily.

This is my last Honda.

That is odd. Is there another dealer you can take it to?

I have zero issues with my infotainment center and yet my dealer calls weekly to get me in so they can tear apart my dash and F*** it up!

·
Registered
2 Posts

This is my last Honda.

I made an account just to encourage you to push through with customer care. I took mine in after speaking with Honda Customer Care and requested extended warranty 21-012 repairs and got fixed next day at local honda dealer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I made an account just to encourage you to push through with customer care. I took mine in after speaking with Honda Customer Care and requested extended warranty 21-012 repairs and got fixed next day at local honda dealer.
I logged a case with Honda, the rep said that I should send the video to the service tech so I did. He reviewed and said yes, that's the popping, but no we still won't fix it until the dash throws a code.

I traded it in yesterday on an Audi Q7.

Between cars and motorcycles I've had 20 Hondas. This is my last. Sucks because I planned on a Civic for my son this Fall but now it will be a Hyundai.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I logged a case with Honda, the rep said that I should send the video to the service tech so I did. He reviewed and said yes, that's the popping, but no we still won't fix it until the dash throws a code.

I traded it in yesterday on an Audi Q7.

Between cars and motorcycles I've had 20 Hondas. This is my last. Sucks because I planned on a Civic for my son this Fall but now it will be a Hyundai.
That's ridiculous! That's just what I felt like doing when this problem first started. I might be in the same spot if it acts up again. It shouldn't fall on the consumer to research and hunt down solution for safety issue like this on new cars. Hope that audi drives smooth! We also decided on a hyundai for our teen driver.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had the connectors replaced as part of TSB late last year. It seemed to work but I did not really drive that much. That is until couple weeks ago. I did 2500 miles in 2 weeks ..last few days on long stretch, the crackling returned. Back home now, took it to the dealer who just called me ..since the connectors have been replaced already, there is not much more they can do outside of checking and re-securing the cables. Honda has no real fix but it is "working" on it...

Disappointed

·
Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the connectors replaced as part of TSB late last year, the crackling returned. Back home now, took it to the dealer who just called me ..since the connectors have been replaced already, there is not much more they can do outside of checking and re-securing the cables. Honda has no real fix but it is "working" on it...
Hm-mm, the reason that Honda extended the warranty on this issue is to address the known issue with a (assumed) known solution. They can re-do the entire repair (TSB 21-012) with new connectors and wires, using a tech with successful experience completing the repair. If the dealer you are "working" with is not working and not honoring Honda's specific added warranty, time to patronize another dealership. Appears service advisor is lazy, or not willing to provide customer service, or assumes you are willing to accept excuses instead of action. Be firm, be fair, and don't accept mediocrity.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I had the connectors replaced as part of TSB late last year. It seemed to work but I did not really drive that much. That is until couple weeks ago. I did 2500 miles in 2 weeks ..last few days on long stretch, the crackling returned. Back home now, took it to the dealer who just called me ..since the connectors have been replaced already, there is not much more they can do outside of checking and re-securing the cables. Honda has no real fix but it is "working" on it...

Disappointed
I had similar issue with my Passport and dealer redid TSB 20-058 with all new connectors. I'm happy with their response and service advisor gave me his personal cell number. He said if it happens again he will call in a honda field engineer. It's only been a couple of days and I will keep you updated.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hope works for you. I had my connectors done fall last year. Until my 2500 miles trip over last couple weeks, I thought I was out of woods. Having said so, I have not heard anything since getting back. Maybe had something to do with with doing audio over bluetooth while wife was watching movies on the cell phone .. I dont know ...Strange is that everything was fine on the way down ..time will show ..

·
3,550 Posts
Read alot about issues with the 2019,2020 infotainment issues . Have they been resolved for 2021 or is this still an ongoing issue?
I think there have been a few, but no where near the number previously encountered (including my Passport). My recollection is that they redesigned the connector and probably tie-wrapped it in place so it cannot move and the fix was carried over into the production line...!

·
3,550 Posts
Thanks... any other issues you have come across? would you recommend a 2021?

Yeah, they have certainly worked out the bugs/kinks and it should be fine. I had to get a 2019, but if I could have waited I would have, but I love driving mine every day...!

If your budget permits, I would get a AWD Touring or Elite if you plan to keep it long term...

Reactions: fdxhawk8369

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hm-mm, the reason that Honda extended the warranty on this issue is to address the known issue with a (assumed) known solution. They can re-do the entire repair (TSB 21-012) with new connectors and wires, using a tech with successful experience completing the repair. If the dealer you are "working" with is not working and not honoring Honda's specific added warranty, time to patronize another dealership. Appears service advisor is lazy, or not willing to provide customer service, or assumes you are willing to accept excuses instead of action. Be firm, be fair, and don't accept mediocrity.
Just an update. Dealerships are still not honoring the extended warranty. I was back in for more "crackling" after having the TSB 21-012 done a couple months ago. They refused to redo the FAKRA housings and MOST cords this time since they had already been done before. Worst part is I was told they did do the work initially and only found out after talking to the mechanic that they were not going to do anything more.
Seems to me like Honda is kicking this problem down the road without a real fix. I would avoid the '19-'20 models at least.

·
3,550 Posts
Hello Jim, sorry to hear about your predicament, how many dealers told you this? And where are you located?

I strong suggest you elevate your concern directly to Honda Corp (in California)...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts