Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Elite BCP
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not the most challenging snow test, but we received our first appreciable snow since I first bought my '20 Elite this last summer. 4-5" of relatively dry but slippery (at least slippery enough for me to fall on my *ss shoveling it earlier) snow. 5-7% grade up and down an unplowed county dirt road near my home. I never even played with the Snow or Mud drive modes; just left it in the default Drive since it wasn't even being challenged (I did keep it in ECO mode which I often drive in...really softens the response and helps keep things under control). Pulled in/off a few turn-offs and public land parking areas and made some turns/runs up short steep inclines...stuck to the road like velcro and couldn't get the tires to break loose. Wheels are OEM 18" Ridgeline and tires are Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S size 265/60/18. Looking forward to pushing the limits a bit more with heavier snowfall, but this Passport couldn't have been more solid.

Tire Wheel Snow Vehicle Car

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not the most challenging snow test, but we received our first appreciable snow since I first bought my '20 Elite this last summer. 4-5" of relatively dry but slippery (at least slippery enough for me to fall on my *ss shoveling it earlier) snow. 5-7% grade up and down an unplowed county dirt road near my home. I never even played with the Snow or Mud drive modes; just left it in the default Drive since it wasn't even being challenged (I did keep it in ECO mode which I often drive in...really softens the response and helps keep things under control). Pulled in/off a few turn-offs and public land parking areas and made some turns/runs up short steep inclines...stuck to the road like velcro and couldn't get the tires to break loose. Wheels are OEM 18" Ridgeline and tires are Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S size 265/60/18. Looking forward to pushing the limits a bit more with heavier snowfall, but this Passport couldn't have been more solid.

View attachment 13607
I have Cooper AT3s on my 15 F150. We've had a bit of snow here in W. WA. Tires have been amazing. Slips on takeoff here and there but they are awesome. Replaced OEM Hankooks which were completely worthless in any condition except dry roads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the opposite spectrum, I was visiting the MI area last week using my stock tires with about 10k miles of wear. Wow, very disappointed. It was a wet snow with only about 2 inches. I was sliding all over the place with minimal effort. I had to drive gently to avoid sliding or having the ABS kicking in. Using all modes (normal, snow, mud) made very little difference. Don’t hate me but my BMW X3 with stock tires did much better in this type of snow. Because this is a lease and I probably will not keep it for 3 years, I do not plan to replace the tires
Just an observation- otherwise I love this car. Btw - I live in MO and with the weather changing as in most areas we now rarely get more than 2-3 inches of snow at a time which is another reason I will not purchase better tires

·
Registered
2019 Passport Elite
718 Posts
On the opposite spectrum, I was visiting the MI area last week using my stock tires with about 10k miles of wear. Wow, very disappointed. It was a wet snow with only about 2 inches. I was sliding all over the place with minimal effort. I had to drive gently to avoid sliding or having the ABS kicking in. Using all modes (normal, snow, mud) made very little difference. Don’t hate me but my BMW X3 with stock tires did much better in this type of snow. Because this is a lease and I probably will not keep it for 3 years, I do not plan to replace the tires
Just an observation- otherwise I love this car. Btw - I live in MO and with the weather changing as in most areas we now rarely get more than 2-3 inches of snow at a time which is another reason I will not purchase better tires
Yes, the stock Continental all-season tires are not very good at stopping in the snow. Tire's forward traction in snow is decent, but stopping is definitely more important.

·
Daimyo
2021 Honda Passport Elite - Tonbo-Giri⛩️
266 Posts
I'm on the other side of lake Michigan in Wisconsin and we've got a very healthy amount of snow over the past week and I thought that my 21 Elite, that is also running on stock tires with about 10,000 miles on them, did just fine but I would agree that the tires leave much to be desired. I normally like to drive my vehicle without econ mode on but I would say that I found myself switching to it when I'm up to speed in snowy conditions. I think the only issue I had so far is when I was going up a very steep hill that was packed with snow is that I needed to switch to snow mode and then everything was fine from there.

I really think snow mode is terrific aside from the fact that you cannot use cruise control while in snow mode. I've become so accustomed to driving Subarus in the snow but now that I've gotten the opportunity to really test out what a Honda can do I'm actually preferring the Honda mainly because the traction control on Subaru vehicles is incredibly aggressive while on Honda it seems to only activate when absolutely necessary. The Passport's AWD is every it is good as every Subaru all-wheel drive vehicle I've ever driven in and in some ways the Passport is better in my opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm on the other side of lake Michigan in Wisconsin and we've got a very healthy amount of snow over the past week and I thought that my 21 Elite, that is also running on stock tires with about 10,000 miles on them, did just fine but I would agree that the tires leave much to be desired. I normally like to drive my vehicle without econ mode on but I would say that I found myself switching to it when I'm up to speed in snowy conditions. I think the only issue I had so far is when I was going up a very steep hill that was packed with snow is that I needed to switch to snow mode and then everything was fine from there.

I really think snow mode is terrific aside from the fact that you cannot use cruise control while in snow mode. I've become so accustomed to driving Subarus in the snow but now that I've gotten the opportunity to really test out what a Honda can do I'm actually preferring the Honda mainly because the traction control on Subaru vehicles is incredibly aggressive while on Honda it seems to only activate when absolutely necessary. The Passport's AWD is every it is good as every Subaru all-wheel drive vehicle I've ever driven in and in some ways the Passport is better in my opinion.
I agree. It's that diffential-based torque vectoring at work. Subarus have great AWD systems, but most only use brake torque vectoring, which has significant limits for shifting power.

As for the tires, it seems like manufacturers keep using progressively worse tires that work best in perfect test conditions. There aren't many cars out there, at least in the non-luxury segment, that include tires that are good (not great) in winter conditions. Offhand, I only know of the Ford Bronco Sport and the Ford Maverick having Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws available as factory options when custom ordered.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Tire matter much more than drivetrain. With that being said Passport is pretty capable in the snow than most on demand AWD vehicles.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
511 Posts
Charlotte NC isn't known for it's snow fall but rather for ice storms. Which to day did not disappoint, we have about 2 inches of snow, freezing rain, and sleet. Fortunately no downed trees or power lines which is a blessing. Had to go out and run a few errands (wife needed onions and celery for her famous home made chicken soup). Anyway the Passport was like a tank, I couldn't get it stuck for all I tried. Had it in snow mode so not to have the wheels break free when starting from a deep stop and used the paddle shifter to gear down when coming to a stop. Was impressed that the TerrainContacts stuck like tank treads to the slippery stuff. Was next to a F150 at a traffic light and when the light turned green he just spun wheels but the PP went forward like it was on a dry road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts