Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are some little things that irritate me about this car and nothing is perfect, but so far the AWD and snow mode are very sure footed in the moderate snow we have had. Have only driven in two few-inch snow storms to date, but not felt a single slide, even with these miserable 20" all season tires. With the shift mode adjusted to be very docile and the careful torque adjustments on each wheel you really have to put in work to slide if you are driving smart. Obviously speed or sloppy braking would disrupt that, but for anyone with good habits the Passport seems very solid in snow. Anyone had a different or similar experience? Anyone got snow tires and tested it out yet? I'd really like to try this out on deeper snow and even colder temps to get the final verdict.

·
Registered
15 Posts
There are some little things that irritate me about this car and nothing is perfect, but so far the AWD and snow mode are very sure footed in the moderate snow we have had. Have only driven in two few-inch snow storms to date, but not felt a single slide, even with these miserable 20" all season tires. With the shift mode adjusted to be very docile and the careful torque adjustments on each wheel you really have to put in work to slide if you are driving smart. Obviously speed or sloppy braking would disrupt that, but for anyone with good habits the Passport seems very solid in snow. Anyone had a different or similar experience? Anyone got snow tires and tested it out yet? I'd really like to try this out on deeper snow and even colder temps to get the final verdict.
Thanks, good to know! We’re heading south to AZ from Alberta for the winter in a few weeks and I was debating whether or not to mount the snow tires. I drive on the forecast, so I wouldn’t plan on heading into any deep snow situations, but it’s nice to know the PP handles well in light snow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've driven a few times during the Alberta snowfalls (including in the mountains where there was much more snow) and haven't felt any slipping, even with the stock 20" tires. I wouldn't go with snow tires for a drive to Arizona.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've driven a few times during the Alberta snowfalls (including in the mountains where there was much more snow) and haven't felt any slipping, even with the stock 20" tires. I wouldn't go with snow tires for a drive to Arizona.
Thanks Ryan, I’ll take your advice and leave the all seasons on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks Ryan, I’ll take your advice and leave the all seasons on.
Yes, the Honda AWD is great in the snow! As for continuing to drive without snow tires. I was shocked to have just "googled" that Alberta does not require snow tires . . . with all due respect, that is frightening . . . and yet another reason to avoid the Deerfoot Trail in Calgary . . . :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, the Honda AWD is great in the snow! As for continuing to drive without snow tires. I was shocked to have just "googled" that Alberta does not require snow tires . . . with all due respect, that is frightening . . . and yet another reason to avoid the Deerfoot Trail in Calgary . . . :D
Yep, if I was staying in Alberta for the winter, I’d put on the snowies for sure. We don’t plan to come back from AZ until mid-April so hopefully it will be gone by then.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Took the Passport to work today and drove in real snow / ice conditions for the first time. Put the AWD in snow mode and handled like a dream the whole time, no slippage whatsoever. Very happy with the AWD performance overall.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,163 Posts
When y'all say you're driving in snow would you please quantify it. An inch of slush, packed powder, several inches of unplowed powder, or maybe 8-12 inches of unplowed powder, etc. Although I originally learned to drive in 'the crud' after a nearly 50 year absence I'm no longer comfortable in it.

Last October I TWICE crossed over some "mostly slush" mountain passes (outside Yellowstone park) in my wifes 2020 Ody. The car did very well - and a bit after the moment two (mom & baby) bears ran acroos the road in front of us - my white knuckles (and blood pressure) eventually settled down.

Shown the morning before, at a lower attitude.

Lasting memories: don't eat yellow snow and don't stick your tongue (guilty) on cold metal parts.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wrascal, so far I have driven primarily short distances of less than 10 miles in the following scenarios:
  • 1-2 inches of just fallen snow with more coming down at heavy rate
  • Freezing rain/iced roads with 1" snow on top
  • Plowed roads that are still slick (up to 1" remaining in spots)
  • Slush/melting snow
  • 5-6 inches of unplowed packed snow in the mountains
Mostly in the city, but we have lots of hills around here. About the only thing I haven't done is drive in deep powder or 3 plus inches during active snow or blizzard, and that is unlikely as I have the sense to get home during heavy snow. Nothing wrong with going out the day after though and driving on top of it before plows get out.

The AWD is one of the things on this vehicle that Honda got right, it is stable and in snow mode, the shift points are very docile and the power adjustments to each wheel are quick. If you have decent tires (stock are ok and what I have for now) you have to be careless to slide, such as taking turns too fast or driving at high speed. With 18" narrower and better tires, the situation should only improve.

I'm sure very heavy snow and ice would be different, but this car does as well as anything I can imagine in its class. I have never driven a Jeep SUV in snow, but I have driven Kia and Toyota and Subaru all of which have very good AWD and I would rate this car equal or above them in AWD performance. Too bad it comes with silly 20" tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I got brave and drove the PP into an unplowed parking lot. Snow up to the floorboards but it didn't have any problems. Stopped, backed up, parked. Left without slipping at all. Snow tires on had to have helped. Brand new Toyo's

·
Registered
156 Posts
GSi5's rock in the snow had them on my last vehicle opted for the Xi2's this time because of lower rolling resistance.
and they were on sale

Reactions: Kadoka59

·
Registered
11 Posts
We had 8" of snow and ice earlier this week and I was impressed with how the Passport ripped through without hesitation. I have Cooper Revolutions on mine and my only concern were the others drivers doing 360's on the highway. Go with confidence!!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Took the Passport to work today and drove in real snow / ice conditions for the first time. Put the AWD in snow mode and handled like a dream the whole time, no slippage whatsoever. Very happy with the AWD performance overall.
Sorry if replying to my own post is a breach of forum etiquette, but since we are talking about how the PP handles in winter conditions, I thought it prudent to add that the tires on my PP are actually 18" duelers from a 2017 Pilot (new) - not the 20" tires that came on the PP.

·
Registered
58 Posts
We had 8" of snow and ice earlier this week and I was impressed with how the Passport ripped through without hesitation. I have Cooper Revolutions on mine and my only concern were the others drivers doing 360's on the highway. Go with confidence!!!
🤣

·
Registered
58 Posts
What size Cooper Revo? Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts