Honda Passport Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
I think your measurement is accurate. He added part of a 3" bolt to the factory bolt.
Perhaps he'll take a pic of his set-up.
Well, I did measure it a couple of times just to be sure. If mine is too long, I can always cut it to size. I did some driving around without the new bolt in place and couldn't hear the tire shifting at all.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I removed the donut from the rear and placed a 255/65/17 tire, which is 30.1" tall in its place. Which I believe is taller than every stock tire on every trim level Passport. If I'm wrong I will surely be corrected in very short order.

View attachment 8465

As you can see, the tire fits all the way forward. I like that.
Securing this wheel and tire is of paramount importance. A longer bolt, run down through one of the lug holes in the wheel will in fact thread into the original mounting location.
Awesome!!!

Obviously the tire, at 10" wide, is much wider than the spare.

View attachment 8466

Therefore, the platform will not rest in its stock location.

We could build supports and raise the platform up about 4".

We could bolt the tire down, remove the entire platform and boogie down the road.

Or we could secure the tire on top of the platform, using ratchet straps like this .

View attachment 8467
I spent 5 hours off road with it here, and it didn't move an inch.

We could secure it to a roof rack or basket.

We could strap it to a hich mounted rack or
Bolt it to a hitch mounted carrier like this one I built.

View attachment 8468

View attachment 8469

·
Registered
51 Posts
Has anyone thought about a narrow tire but same diameter for a spare? If the Elite has 265 45/20 and a 165 85/17 spare, what about finding something in between? Equal diameter narrow so the cover still fits?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Has anyone thought about a narrow tire but same diameter for a spare? If the Elite has 265 45/20 and a 165 85/17 spare, what about finding something in between? Equal diameter narrow so the cover still fits?
Good idea. I'm not sure the animal exists.
The overall width would prolly have to be around 6". Our bolt pattern is not that common.
My Discount Tire guy told me that they would not mount a different tire on my spare donut wheel.
If you find something that works, please post it up.
Thanks

·
Registered
Not your typical 'StormTrooper'
282 Posts
Good idea. I'm not sure the animal exists.
The overall width would prolly have to be around 6".
If you find something that works, please post it up.
Would be nice to hear from Auricom, or igor44, or Bentleyboy, or anyone else with BMW X5.
It shares same 5x120 bolt pattern, 72-75 center bore, and most importantly carries a 155/80R19 spacesaver spare tire.

I have been searching for one of these on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, U-Pull-It, etc for a few months now.
Though not a full-size, full-time-use tire, it would still be significantly closer to stock tire diameter, especially compared to our toy stock sparetire.
And at 6-in diameter, should easily fit FLUSH under the cargo carpet/mat.

So if one of those members listed above that posted they had X5's, or someone else with access to BMX X5 or X6,
can put a jack under their Passport, pop off the Passport wheel and put BMW spare in place to v-e-r-i-f-y fitment . . . (y) 🍻(y)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Great idea Panda. Great research. (Seems to be a habit of yours)

Monday I'll call our only 2 salvage yards in town and see if they have one of those.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,813 Posts
Would be nice to hear from Auricom, or igor44, or Bentleyboy, or anyone else with BMW X5.
It shares same 5x120 bolt pattern, 72-75 center bore, and most importantly carries a 155/80R19 spacesaver spare tire.

I have been searching for one of these on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, OfferUp, U-Pull-It, etc for a few months now.
Though not a full-size, full-time-use tire, it would still be significantly closer to stock tire diameter, especially compared to our toy stock sparetire.
And at 6-in diameter, should easily fit FLUSH under the cargo carpet/mat.

So if one of those members listed above that posted they had X5's, or someone else with access to BMX X5 or X6,
can put a jack under their Passport, pop off the Passport wheel and put BMW spare in place to v-e-r-i-f-y fitment . . . (y) 🍻(y)
Nice homework Panda!!
Is the spare tire called: 155/80R19 spacesaver spare tire
I got the time, and will do some additional searching.

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
2,730 Posts
A larger diameter spare tire will not fit in the existing spare tire opening...

·
Registered
Not your typical 'StormTrooper'
282 Posts
A larger diameter spare tire will not fit in the existing spare tire opening...
Hm-mm-mm . . . Maybe this is fancy photoshopping . . . ?? ;)

The tire width has been the stumbling point until now, assuming one is willing to lose the pre-formed plastic cubby-storage.
As long as cargo carpet and cargo mat still fit flat, I am good with loosing the plastic (I can fabricate something else to fit there and still support the carpet, mat).

·
2,730 Posts
No photo shop. My 255/65/17 right there.
And.....you can bolt it down to the factory location running a longer bolt through a lug hole.
Ok, it will physically fit, if you take out the rear storage areas and don't mind your rear cover being 2 inches higher, I'd rather just set a full size spare on top of the cover...

·
Registered
485 Posts
Ok, it will physically fit, if you take out the rear storage areas and don't mind your rear cover being 2 inches higher, I'd rather just set a full size spare on top of the cover...
Just exploring options here.
XMan714 , I'm right there with you.

A) Roof basket with or without crane!

20210103_084636.jpg

B) Rear hitch. I built this for trips out of town.

20201204_162555.jpg

C) On top of platform.

20201201_160635.jpg

D) Bolted down to factory location. Running longer bolt through lug hole.
I actually love this option for going on a long road trip or an off road adventure where I do not plan on sleeping on the cargo platform.
Simply leave the platform in the garage, load my duffle bags, back packs and ratchet strap my cooler down.
This location keeps my tire safe from movement and or theft and secure, keeps my center of gravity low and makes accessing the tire much easier than having it on the roof.

20201201_135245.jpg

You could easily just raise the entire cargo platform 4" to lay flat over the top of the full sized spare. Additional supports would be necessary.

I got a flat on my very first off road trip to Moab.
Small piece of steel in the road. I love having a full sized spare.

20201202_184634.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just ordered a new Defender and it comes with a full size spare mounted on the tailgate. Better design than my current LR4 that has the full size spare tire mounted underneath. After 8 years & 135K miles the spare tire winch tends to seize if you don't spay it with WD-40 every 6 months. I also considered ordering an SQ7 but it has no spare tire and comes with regular (not run flat) tires. Guess we should be glad our Passports came with any spare tire.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just ordered a new Defender and it comes with a full size spare mounted on the tailgate. Better design than my current LR4 that has the full size spare tire mounted underneath. After 8 years & 135K miles the spare tire winch tends to seize if you don't spay it with WD-40 every 6 months. I also considered ordering an SQ7 but it has no spare tire and comes with regular (not run flat) tires. Guess we should be glad our Passports came with any spare tire.
First of all, that rogue tire video was priceless.

Secondly, congrats on your new Defender.
Pretty cool looking.

I agree. A donut is better than nothing. Thank you Honda!!
When I use my hitch spare tire carrier, I just leave the donut in too.

Later Paul.

Reactions: pnw_adventure

·
2,730 Posts
After 8 years & 135K miles the spare tire winch tends to seize if you don't spay it with WD-40 every 6 months.
So how many times in the course of driving135k miles did you use a spare tire?

61 - 80 of 82 Posts