Honda Passport Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
209 Posts
Okdokie! BTW, Its called "OVERLANDING" NOT "Galavanting". Its a 24 hour thing, Google it.
Geez....
So I was to assume you were referring to your vehicle's use for overloading by the reference to the 110 miles between Green River and Salina? I'll keep google open in another tab next time. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Okdokie! BTW, Its called "OVERLANDING" NOT "Galavanting". Its a 24 hour thing, Google it.
Geez....
If overloading is the purpose then to me the best solution is the roof mounted spare in a quality rack. If you sling it like the Pilot underneath the vehicle and have a flat on the rear you may play [email protected]!! getting the thing out from under the vehicle. If it's under the rear deck, like the donut is, then you will probably have to unload a bunch of stuff to get to the tire. Add to that, that changing a tire while off roading can be a much different beast than on the shoulder of the road.

A good off roading quality basket equipped with a tire carrier, and high lift jack carrier with highlight jack. The addition of a shovel would be good, but a compact shovel should at least be carried.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'll never understand why they didn't design the spare tire compartment so that the valve was facing up. :rolleyes:
Right. I believe they did it that way so they could save money on a shorter hold down bolt. Plus the fact that it is stronger.

There is also more usable easy access storage with the deep side of the wheel facing up.

You can flip it over. You just need a longer hold down bolt. Cargo platform will still lay flat.
Or, perhaps you could screw an extension to the valve stem. Removing it when in use of course.

Screenshot_20201208-204815_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
485 Posts
I removed the donut from the rear and placed a 255/65/17 tire, which is 30.1" tall in its place. Which I believe is taller than every stock tire on every trim level Passport.

20201201_141122.jpg

As you can see, the tire fits all the way forward. I like that.
Securing this wheel and tire is of paramount importance. A longer bolt, run down through one of the lug holes in the wheel will in fact thread into the original mounting location.
Awesome!!!

Obviously the tire, at 10" wide, is much wider than the spare.

20201201_134708.jpg

Therefore, the platform will not rest in its stock location.

We could build supports and raise the platform up about 4".

We could bolt the tire down, remove the entire platform and boogie down the road.

Or we could secure the tire on top of the platform, using ratchet straps like this .

20201201_161856.jpg

I spent 5 hours off road with it here, and it didn't move an inch.

We could secure it to a roof rack or basket.

We could strap it to a hich mounted rack or
Bolt it to a hitch mounted carrier like this one I built.

20201204_162520.jpg

20201204_162555.jpg

·
Registered
382 Posts
I bought a M8 x 1.25 thread pitch bolt that was about 3" long and cut off its Phillips head.
I used a metric M8 coupler and some red thread locker, to extend the spare tire bolt. Now it's long enough to flip my spare.

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Registered
485 Posts
@Moab Junky, what about the tailgate? Do you disable it in case someone accidentally presses the button?
I haven't looked in to disabling it. Good idea.
I'm gluing a small piece of rubber belting on where the gate would contact it if were to open.
Noone but the Wife and myself driving this so it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I bought a M8 x 1.25 thread pitch bolt that was about 3" long and cut off its Phillips head.
I used a metric M8 coupler and some red thread locker, to extend the spare tire bolt. Now it's long enough to flip my spare.
I like the way you think! I was thinking of using a whole new bolt, which would require yet ANOTHER tool.
Genius my friend.
I think I'll copy you, but I will forego the thread locker and run a nut on both ends of the coupler in case I want to take it apart.
Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
I haven't looked in to disabling it. Good idea.
I'm gluing a small piece of rubber belting on where the gate would contact it if were to open.
Noone but the Wife and myself driving this so it shouldn't be a problem.
My bride once put diesel in a Granada when she was a teenager. The story never dies. She has a doctorate and is a genius but is as clueless as can be about cars. When the kids were in car seats and we had a gold Ford Taurus. We were at the grandparent's house for dinner, there was a gold Nissan Maxima parked right next to it on the street that also had car seats and was unlocked and she actually put the kids into the Maxima. She would hit that hatch button the first day, guaranteed.:)

I actually screwed up myself the other day. Since I don;t have the Ridgeline anymore for dump runs, I didn't push the garbage can in far enough and the hatch tried to close on the window and the garbage can the other day.:(

·
Registered
485 Posts
14v6 , I think all moms want to put their kids in someone else's car once in a while, lol.

I wonder how much resistance it takes to stop the hatch motor?
Was it a rubber trash can? A metal one might have broken your window A?

We all do and say dumb things once in a while. I think that is the definition of human.

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
164 Posts
It was plastic can and the motor eventually backed off and didn't close all the way. I was used to doing dump runs with Odysseys and CRV's that had a more flat rear window so shame on me. I do wonder though how much force was applied and would be concerned about a pet or kid. I checked the window seal it seemed to lay flush all around. I've been doing dump runs that last 4 years with a Ridgeline folding up the Tonneau so I was rusty.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It was plastic can and the motor eventually backed off and didn't close all the way. I was used to doing dump runs with Odysseys and CRV's that had a more flat rear window so shame on me. I do wonder though how much force was applied and would be concerned about a pet or kid. I checked the window seal it seemed to lay flush all around. I've been doing dump runs that last 4 years with a Ridgeline folding up the Tonneau so I was rusty.
I hear you. Ever think of getting a small utility trailer?

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hear you. Ever think of getting a small utility trailer?
All the time. I miss having a pickup and may very well get a no frills 2wd with a 6 foot bed. Always feel exposed when not having one. When the next home improvement project comes around I'll miss it. As for trailers, my home has a neighborhood association with a lot of rules, trailers are not allowed, no garbage cans in driveways, no chain link fences etc. Actually I like these rules so I don't have to worry about seeing a camper or commercial vehicle or a boat parked in my neighbor's driveways. Bottom line is I could probably make it all work 90% of the time with the roof rack. I realize that it would be cheaper for me to get a trailer and pay to keep it in rented storage than to get a pickup. Basically, I love having an AWD suv for the winter a fast sedan for the summer and a pickup for utility. That's a little ridiculous though I had high hopes for the Ridgeline to do it all but it just came up short. Question is do I want the PP and a sedan or a PP and a pickup. Bride is gonna get a RAV4 Hyrid or maybe a Highlander. To complicate is even more my daughter just accepted an offer from GM and they have been very good to her so I wouldn't rule out supporting the product with a lease. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
485 Posts
No apologies needed.
Ya, I never could figure out the Ridgeline.
Hmmmm, crazy you can't put in a gate and store a little 5x10 trailer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Right. I believe they did it that way so they could save money on a shorter hold down bolt. Plus the fact that it is stronger.

There is also more usable easy access storage with the deep side of the wheel facing up.

You can flip it over. You just need a longer hold down bolt. Cargo platform will still lay flat.
Or, perhaps you could screw an extension to the valve stem. Removing it when in use of course.
I just flipped mine over and I'm glad I did. In the year and a half that I've owned mine, I finally got around to checking the pressure. The donut spare had 34 Lbs. in it! :eek: I inflated it to the recommended 60 and left it upside down so I can keep a closer eye on it. It seems to fit just fine that way and now all I need is a 5" long, M8 1.25 hold down bolt.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'll have to go back and see which post your referring to.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Thanks, I measured it (with a chopstick) at 5-5-½ inches today but maybe I was off by a bit. ;)
I think your measurement is accurate. He added part of a 3" bolt to the factory bolt.
Perhaps he'll take a pic of his set-up.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts