Honda Passport Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
287 Posts
This would be my dream setup. Been looking for Black Edition Ridgelines for months now, even went to the Ridgeline forum's trading post to see if I could entice someone to swap for my 20s. What's ideal with the RL 18s is the 55mm offset which translates into 265/60/18 shouldn't rub at full lock. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Got any pics of your rock'in Ridgelines?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
This would be my dream setup. Been looking for Black Edition Ridgelines for months now, even went to the Ridgeline forum's trading post to see if I could entice someone to swap for my 20s. What's ideal with the RL 18s is the 55mm offset which translates into 265/60/18 shouldn't rub at full lock. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Got any pics of your rock'in Ridgelines?
I don’t have pics just yet as my Passport is having some other things worked on. But here’s a pic of the satin black Ridgelines:

B9167979-C481-4C49-88E1-C6921C7900C0.jpeg

·
Registered
287 Posts
Very nice! I assume powdercoat not paint? Curious were they originally black gloss or the natural / gray that Honda is famous for?

·
Registered
287 Posts
ironchef19, if I may ask how much did you pay for the powder coating? I have no idea what's a fair estimate to have this done. If things work out right I might be able to get a set of 2020 Ridgelines for $325 this coming weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
ironchef19, if I may ask how much did you pay for the powder coating? I have no idea what's a fair estimate to have this done. If things work out right I might be able to get a set of 2020 Ridgelines for $325 this coming weekend!
Great price! I pay $100 per wheel in my area and they do the barrel and everything. I've heard anywhere from $50-$200 per wheel depending on location and choice of powder.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the hardest time with that decision. For me, if I was going to go 18", it would be with A/T tires to complete that look. But A/T tires kind of defeat the purpose of trying for a better ride. In the end, the price of my setup was well within my budget and since I never go off road and prefer a smooth ride and handling, this fit the bill.

At some point, I'd love to test drive a Passport with aggressive offset 18's on oversized highway tires, like the Defenders. That would probably be the way to go.
I am like you. I started off thinking of going to 18" wheels and tires but have decided to put some A/T tires onto the stock 20" rims so that I could see how well it drives and handles. After researching and reading the forums, it appears that the max tire (without trimming is 265/50. When those tires wear out I will then re-think the option of going to 18". Converting is damn expensive too.
Going tire shopping today so we'll find out. Probably going for Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 which is a compromise AT/road tire.

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
I am like you. I started off thinking of going to 18" wheels and tires but have decided to put some A/T tires onto the stock 20" rims so that I could see how well it drives and handles. After researching and reading the forums, it appears that the max tire (without trimming is 265/50. When those tires wear out I will then re-think the option of going to 18". Converting is damn expensive too.
Going tire shopping today so we'll find out. Probably going for Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 which is a compromise AT/road tire.
Hello LaughingDog and welcome, depending on the driving conditions of where you live and how often you plan to go off-road, I would offer up the following considerations:
Check out the TireRack comparisons for the Yokohama Geolander AT vs the Continental Contact AT, it's not even close:
Wet Conditions: Geo = 6.5 Cont = 9.2
Dry Conditions: Geo = 5.5 Cont = 9.3

Winter Driving: Geo = 6.0 Cont = 8.2
Ride/Comfort: Geo = 6.0 Cont = 9.0
Tread Wear: Geo = 8.0 Cont = 8.7
Off Road: Geo = 8.5 Cont = 8.7

It's you money, but I'd suggest driving the OEM tires until you can go with 18's...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello LaughingDog and welcome, depending on the driving conditions of where you live and how often you plan to go off-road, I would offer up the following considerations:
Check out the TireRack comparisons for the Yokohama Geolander AT vs the Continental Contact AT, it's not even close:
Wet Conditions: Geo = 6.5 Cont = 9.2
Dry Conditions: Geo = 5.5 Cont = 9.3

Winter Driving: Geo = 6.0 Cont = 8.2
Ride/Comfort: Geo = 6.0 Cont = 9.0
Tread Wear: Geo = 8.0 Cont = 8.7
Off Road: Geo = 8.5 Cont = 8.7

It's you money, but I'd suggest driving the OEM tires until you can go with 18's...
Thx for the feedback. I'll take a look at the Continentals's

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hey StevenD,
Now that you've had the Continental TerrainContact A/T's for awhile now, let's here the pros and cons compared to the stock 20" setup. Noise, ride, whatever details you can share!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hey ironchef19,
I'll chime in on this one also. I've got about 3,000 miles on my Continental TerrainContact A/T 265/60/r18's. Really the only con I have is I wish I'd done this sooner, honestly. With regards to pros: the TerrainContacts are just as quiet as the stock 20" OEM Contis, and that still holds true after 3k miles. They are fantastic on dry roads and they are phenomenal in wet weather. I have driven these is some torrential downpours which resulted in flash flooding and amazed as to how well they tracked. They are road tires with some soft-core off road capability. Another plus is the bead lock is recessed from the side wall so the edges of my 18" Ridgeline powder-coated wheels are spared from vulnerability. Don't get much in the way of snow around here in Charlotte NC during the winter but do get a fair amount of ice, so we'll have to see what the future holds with regards to that. (Having lived in NJ for 30 years I know how to drive in snow and ice...it's the other guy I fear).
Bottom line I'd purchase the Continental TerrainContact A/T again in a heart beat.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
Hey StevenD,
Now that you've had the Continental TerrainContact A/T's for awhile now, let's here the pros and cons compared to the stock 20" setup. Noise, ride, whatever details you can share!
Welps, working three days a week at home and going into work the other two days (round-trip 10 miles), I have not been putting too many miles on them. However, yesterday I did a 70 mile round-trip, nearly all freeway, cruising at 70-74mph, hit 80 once for a short time, so here goes:
1. At lower speeds (25-40mph) the tires feel very secure on the road, I don't fear bumps, little pot-holes, railroad crossings etc. - the tires plow over everything with ease! I believe that having more tire (and air) between the wheel and the road absorbs more of the normal impacts than the OEM, low-profile tires.
2. At higher speeds (60-80mph) there was a bit more road noise, not much though and nothing that the Touring Stereo couldn't easily drown out. my guess is that NO All Terrain tire out there is going to be quieter than the OEM tires.
3. At higher speeds (60-80mph) the PP felt firmly planted on the road, very solid.
4. I have not had them in any dirt (off road yet), I was supposed to go camping this previous weekend, but California has banned ALL camp fires in the forests, so I cancelled, so any off-road update will come later.
5. In So. Cal. we have NOT had any rain in something like 135 days, so again, can't comment on that either yet.

Conclusion: I really love them, I received multiple compliments at the Honda dealer on the wheels and a guy at work (who drives a $100k Tesla) said he loved the rugged look of the wheels and A.T tires, so overall: YES I am happy with the purchase, YES I would recommend them and YES I would buy the same set-up if I had to buy something over again!

Cheers!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts