Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Are they easy to install after the fact? I may haven my new rims installed with stock caps and I can always add these on later.
Not in any way, shape or form. You have three choices:
  1. Install the new wheels with no center cap and install the new ones when they arrive
  2. Remove the wheels after installation, knock out the old center cap and then install the new
  3. Drill a small hole in the old center cap and pull it out with a picker, then install the new

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not in any way, shape or form. You have three choices:
  1. Install the new wheels with no center cap and install the new ones when they arrive
  2. Remove the wheels after installation, knock out the old center cap and then install the new
  3. Drill a small hole in the old center cap and pull it out with a picker, then install the new
If I go with option 1 do they literally just pop in?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yes indeed if the new wheels have the same center cap bore (not hub bore) of the stock ones. My aftermarket wheels did.
How do you like those wheels. Do the spokes stick out alot? Hard to tell by the pics.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not at all, I absolutely love these wheels.
I'd like to go with 18's, but here's my concern. I would also like to avoid mpg loss, speedometer changes and changes in engine gearing ratios. Why is everyone doing this knowing these things???

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm thinking that 265/50/20 Nitto Ridge Grapplers would be ok and they look great.
Those are heavy, much larger than stock and since you indicated a desire for 18's, they are 20". These tires, while they do look great, will do just about the opposite of your stated goals.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Those are heavy, much larger than stock and since you indicated a desire for 18's, they are 20". These tires, while they do look great, will do just about the opposite of your stated goals.
Aren't 18's heavy as well?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
18” wheel and tire packages typically weigh less than their 20” counterparts and provide improved fuel economy and ride quality. Tire type, rim construction and other details do factor in at some point but by and large, and considering your goals, go with the 18’s.

·
Registered
122 Posts
18” wheel and tire packages typically weigh less than their 20” counterparts and provide improved fuel economy and ride quality. Tire type, rim construction and other details do factor in at some point but by and large, and considering your goals, go with the 18’s.
18's are 44 pounds heavier. How do you figure?

·
Super Moderator
2,463 Posts
18's are 44 pounds heavier. How do you figure?
Close your eyes and visualize this:

1. 18" wheels are smaller than 20" wheels - so if they were the exact same shape and material, the 18" ones would weigh LESS.

2. Imagine not a Tire, black and round, it the outside diameter is the same or larger, and the hole, which an 18" Tire has a SMALLER hole than a 20" Tire - to fit the wheel size, so you have the same or bigger OD and a smaller ID, meaning there is MORE rubber used on the 18" Tire, so:

3. More Rubber = More Weight

Make sense?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If anyone in the northeast is interested, this tire/rim/lug/cap/sensor set of four may be available. Hit me up if you’re interested.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Here's some pics of my new wheel and tire package. No rubbing, rides much smoother than the stock setup and comes in weighing almost 2# less per wheel/tire combo. I've had the Forteras previously and feel they've always been somewhat underrated. Being an SL tire, they ride nice and handle the elements well at a fraction the cost of my other two candidates, the Michelin Defender and Continental LX25. Here are some specs:

RIMS:
Brand: Touren
Model: TR75
Part #: 3275-2912MB35
Color: Matte Black
Diameter: 20"
Width: 9"
Offset: 35

TIRES:
Brand: Goodyear
Model: Fortera HL
Load/Speed: 107T
Size: 265/50/20

View attachment 5545

View attachment 5548

View attachment 5547
Can you take a pic from the rear? I wanted to see how much your tires stick out being that they are 35mm.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Can you take a pic from the rear? I wanted to see how much your tires stick out being that they are 35mm.
Here you go, they do not stick out at all...

Also, these are now off my Passport. If anyone wants the rims, tires, center caps and lugs, just let me know.

IMG_3027.jpeg IMG_3028.jpeg IMG_3029.jpeg

21 - 40 of 54 Posts