Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,. How often do you change your oil if you drive infrequently?
I basically put 2 to 3k a year max on my 2013 Accord ex. Most go to the grocery store on weekends and two family road trips a year. I checked my oil life today and it was at 60%. Last time I got an oil change was at the dealer last May.
Is it dumb to wait so long or is it ok to change the oil infrequently. My gut says change it once a year at least even if the oil life is still high.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Depends upon (just a few, not all):
1. how long you want to keep the car.
2. Driving conditions: you mentioned a few, short trips with/without a long trip to eliminate water in oil.
3. Region: Climate changes winter to summer to winter. Change twice a year minimum.
4. Based solely uom your described history: Twice a year minimum.
5. Another factor: Whether or not you use 100 % synthetic. I suggest synthetic not necessary if changes are twice/year based upon your history - Unless type of oil is otherwise specified by car manufacturer.

Another note:
1. If using an automatic transmission - Under normal use conditions, (10,000 miles per year), consider changing transmission fluid, brake fluid and coolant at 50,000 mileage. (see your manual)
2. If selling privately, it is nice to show a potential buyer your maintenance records. (Dealers don't give a hoot)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Depends upon (just a few, not all):
3. Region: Climate changes winter to summer to winter. Change twice a year minimum.
4. Based solely uom your described history: Twice a year minimum.
I don't think this is accurate for the vehicle described. I had a 2015 Accord and the owners manual said 7500 miles or every 12 months. I think it would be a waste of money to change the oil at least 2 times a year in this scenario. Maybe this is the case for some vehicles, but I don't think it applies to a 2013 Accord.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As was the case with my last Pilot (140k miles, without an issue), I’ll let the reminder tell me when to change it. But I agree with the above: at least annually.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My wife puts 5K miles on her LR4 per year, all short trips. I change the oil once a year using Mobil 1 Annual Protection. There are different versions of Mobil 1 and this provides the most protection.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (3/19)
1,988 Posts
Reviving this old thread as I’m a really low mileage driver now and want to do what’s best...

In 2020, I drove 5160 miles, 2021 is looking to be even lower at my current no work status.
Are you all still recommending an oil change at 6 months or 5k miles, whichever comes first?
My shop has been using OW-20 oil in the last 3 services.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving this old thread as I’m a really low mileage driver now and want to do what’s best...

In 2020, I drove 5160 miles, 2021 is looking to be even lower at my current no work status.
Are you all still recommending an oil change at 6 months or 5k miles, whichever comes first?

Thanks!

The best recommendation as to when to change the oil is when your car's Maintenance Minder tells you to change it. The algorithm takes into consideration the number of miles since last oil change, driving style and time. The maintenance minder has the full weight of Honda engineering behind it. It's been tried and tested for years now with minimal issues.

Much further down the list as to where to get your oil change recommendations is from your service department. They will often recommend shorter oil change intervals than the Maintenance Minder because they are in the business of selling their services. If you find a service department that follows the Maintenance Minder recommendations for maintenance items then there's good reason to believe that you've found an honest shop.

Your shop has been using 0W-20 weight oil for your oil changes because that is the only weight oil that Honda recommends for your 2019 Passport. 25 or 30 years ago, Honda typically recommended 5w-20 or 30 weight oil but due to better engine design and manufacturing along with improved oil technologies any API Premium grade 0W-20 weight detergent oil is good enough for your Passport. Whether the oil is conventional, semi-synthetic or synthetic doesn't really matter as long as it is API premium grade.

·
Registered
728 Posts

Thanks!
I do what I think is best for my car, not what the car thinks.
I would do it every year in my climate even if it wasn't driven more than 5k miles.

You may be a lot more humid. I'd ask a super duper mechanic in your area.

I sure hope you get some great work and get to driving that beautiful car some more.

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
I do what I think is best for my car, not what the car thinks.
I would do it every year in my climate even if it wasn't driven more than 5k miles.

You maybe a lot more humid. I'd ask a super duper mechanic in your area.

I sure hope you get some great work and get to driving that beautiful car some more.
Yeah, I am the same wat since I keep my Honda’s as long as I do...
It is usually humid here, super dry 14* right now, I garage park it and barely take it out every two weeks to go to three different grocery markets. There was one trip to see the nephews in vegas, and maybe 1-2 more this year.

Thanks...I hope to get more work too. I am starting to lose my marbles🤪, 372 days since our industry was shut down! 🤬

Reactions: Moab Junky

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
The best recommendation as to when to change the oil is when your car's Maintenance Minder tells you to change it. The algorithm takes into consideration the number of miles since last oil change, driving style and time. The maintenance minder has the full weight of Honda engineering behind it. It's been tried and tested for years now with minimal issues.

Much further down the list as to where to get your oil change recommendations is from your service department. They will often recommend shorter oil change intervals than the Maintenance Minder because they are in the business of selling their services. If you find a service department that follows the Maintenance Minder recommendations for maintenance items then there's good reason to believe that you've found an honest shop.

Your shop has been using 0W-20 weight oil for your oil changes because that is the only weight oil that Honda recommends for your 2019 Passport. 25 or 30 years ago, Honda typically recommended 5w-20 or 30 weight oil but due to better engine design and manufacturing along with improved oil technologies any API Premium grade 0W-20 weight detergent oil is good enough for your Passport. Whether the oil is conventional, semi-synthetic or synthetic doesn't really matter as long as it is API premium grade.

I do not go to the dealer for much of anything unless it’s absolutely necessary.
The recall is still outstanding to tear out my dash and break what works fine...
I have been going to a father and son owned Honda and Acura shop of about 30 years for my last 3 Honda’s.
However, I am their only new Passport. They have a bunch of Ridgelines and Odysee’s.

At what percentage of the maintenance minder do you look at for the oil change?
My last vehicle was a 2006 CRV that I drove much more daily. So this is a whole new world of a newer vehicle and little to no driving right now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey all,. How often do you change your oil if you drive infrequently?
I basically put 2 to 3k a year max on my 2013 Accord ex. Most go to the grocery store on weekends and two family road trips a year. I checked my oil life today and it was at 60%. Last time I got an oil change was at the dealer last May.
Is it dumb to wait so long or is it ok to change the oil infrequently. My gut says change it once a year at least even if the oil life is still high.
I am also a low mileage driver and I would change it at least once a year

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do not go to the dealer for much of anything unless it’s absolutely necessary.
The recall is still outstanding to tear out my dash and break what works fine...
I have been going to a father and son owned Honda and Acura shop of about 30 years for my last 3 Honda’s.
However, I am their only new Passport. They have a bunch of Ridgelines and Odysee’s.

At what percentage of the maintenance minder do you look at for the oil change?
My last vehicle was a 2006 CRV that I drove much more daily. So this is a whole new world of a newer vehicle and little to no driving right now.
I usually start considering getting the oil changed when it says it has 20% life left. Since my son runs a Honda dealership 450 miles away, I usually try to time my oil changes for when we travel to see him, our daughter in law and our grandkids. Since you've been going to a father/son Honda and Acura shop, I'd certainly listen to their advice over some random person (me) on an online forum.

Since your shop is familiar with Ridgelines and Odysseys, they're very familiar with the Passport engine since it's the same Honda's Earth Dreams 3.5L V6 model J35Y6 engine. This engine is also in the Pilot.

J35Y1 - 278 hp (207 kW) at 6,200 rpm, 252 lb-ft (342 Nm) at 4,900 rpm. You can find this engine in the Honda Accord V6 with automatic transmition.
J35Y2 - 278 hp (207 kW) at 6,200 rpm, 251 lb-ft (340 Nm) at 5,300 rpm. This engine is used in the Honda Accord 6MT V6.
J35Y4 - 310 hp (231 kW) at 6,500 rpm, 272 lb-ft (369 Nm) at 4,500 rpm. This is a direct injection version with 11.5:1 compression ratio. Application: Acura RLX or Honda Legend.
J35Y5 - 290 hp (216 kW) at 6,200 rpm, 267 lb-ft (362 Nm) at 4,500 rpm, direct injection. Application: Acura MDX.
J35Y6 - 280 hp (209 kW) at 6,000 rpm, 262 lb-ft (355 Nm) at 4,700 rpm, direct injection. Application: Honda Pilot, Ridgeline, and Odyssey.

·
Super Moderator
1,988 Posts
I usually start considering getting the oil changed when it says it has 20% life left. Since my son runs a Honda dealership 450 miles away, I usually try to time my oil changes for when we travel to see him, our daughter in law and our grandkids. Since you've been going to a father/son Honda and Acura shop, I'd certainly listen to their advice over some random person (me) on an online forum.

Since your shop is familiar with Ridgelines and Odysseys, they're very familiar with the Passport engine since it's the same Honda's Earth Dreams 3.5L V6 model J35Y6 engine. This engine is also in the Pilot.

J35Y1 - 278 hp (207 kW) at 6,200 rpm, 252 lb-ft (342 Nm) at 4,900 rpm. You can find this engine in the Honda Accord V6 with automatic transmition.
J35Y2 - 278 hp (207 kW) at 6,200 rpm, 251 lb-ft (340 Nm) at 5,300 rpm. This engine is used in the Honda Accord 6MT V6.
J35Y4 - 310 hp (231 kW) at 6,500 rpm, 272 lb-ft (369 Nm) at 4,500 rpm. This is a direct injection version with 11.5:1 compression ratio. Application: Acura RLX or Honda Legend.
J35Y5 - 290 hp (216 kW) at 6,200 rpm, 267 lb-ft (362 Nm) at 4,500 rpm, direct injection. Application: Acura MDX.
J35Y6 - 280 hp (209 kW) at 6,000 rpm, 262 lb-ft (355 Nm) at 4,700 rpm, direct injection. Application: Honda Pilot, Ridgeline, and Odyssey.
Thanks.
I will give my shop a shout this week and see what they say.
This sparked curiosity as I filed my taxes and have to separate personal from work miles and was shocked to see it in writing at how little I drove last year. I also qualified for the retiree State Farm low (no mileage) discount of $220 less per year! 🎉

·
Registered
460 Posts
The best recommendation as to when to change the oil is when your car's Maintenance Minder tells you to change it. The algorithm takes into consideration the number of miles since last oil change, driving style and time. The maintenance minder has the full weight of Honda engineering behind it.
This is exactly my advice too. I'm not an automotive engineer and I see no reason to second guess the folks that are. I would also recommend a fully synthetic oil when you do change it because it far exceeds the demands we put on our engines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts