Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Y'all

I was wondering how often do you check your air in your tires? I was wondering, as I don't drive very often anymore due to working from home, I drive at most once a week. I leave my passport in my unheated garage year round. In the Winter where I'm at, it gets very cold, some nights now -15 just in November. I started up my vehicle last night and the computer said one tire was 28 PSI, and other three were 30 PSI, I know the stnadard should be 35 PSI. So I was wondering, is it just the temperature alone, that causes the tires to lose air so fast?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Funny you should mention this - I got the low pressure alert, and found all were around 32 psi - down from where they should be at 37. But it's not all that cold here yet, around 30-ish degrees. I am going to make a habit of looking at the dashboard report from time to time, now that I have aired them up - and I need to set a spring reminder to watch them when the weather gets warmer in spring.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Once a month I adjust the tire pressure as the weather changes.
I look at the TPMS readings about once a week.
Yes, your tire pressure will drop about 1psi per 10F change.
Also, the tires themselves are not completely sealed. Oxygen molecules can leak through the rubber molecules over time where nitrogen molecules are too big to do that. As a result, if your tire were freshly filled with normal air, it will lose about 21% of the air slowly. As you keep adding air, the tires will hold pressure better as they will only have nitrogen left in the them.
Another thing, since you park your car in the garage, you will need to compensate for the temp differences to adjust your pressure accordingly. For example, if you know your garage is about 20F higher than outside temp in the morning (that's when you should check tire pressure), you need to add 2 psi above the recommended pressure so when you do park your car outside for some reason like on a trip, your pressure is going to be correct.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Newer vehicles with T.P.M.S. are nice because you can toggle through the display to check tire pressure anytime you want. I usually check once a week or more if there's been a drastic change in temperature or barometric pressure and adjust tire pressure as necessary.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi Y'all

I was wondering how often do you check your air in your tires? I was wondering, as I don't drive very often anymore due to working from home, I drive at most once a week. I leave my passport in my unheated garage year round. In the Winter where I'm at, it gets very cold, some nights now -15 just in November. I started up my vehicle last night and the computer said one tire was 28 PSI, and other three were 30 PSI, I know the stnadard should be 35 PSI. So I was wondering, is it just the temperature alone, that causes the tires to lose air so fast?
I try to check my tire pressures on our vehicles at least twice per month. I prefer to use a calibrated gauge. I also visually check for low tires each time I get in to drive. As others have mentioned tire pressure fluctuates with changes in temperature. The rule of thumb is 1 psi per 10 degrees F. It's easy to check if you have a decent compressor & air hose, but it's still extremely important to keep tire pressures consistent even if you only have an inexpensive 12 volt compressor. At $700 - $1,200 per set of tires you can't afford to ruin tires because of wrong pressures. Low or uneven pressures will also alter the handling of your vehicle under many conditions.

Jason also made a very good point that is often overlooked when he mentioned the need to compensate for differences in temperatures if your vehicle is garaged.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I set my dash's display so the tpms is always showing.
If you work from and don't drive much, you need to be using an AGM battery trickle charger LINK
Passports are always in "sense" mode, hunting for our key fobs and that is a slow, but steady battery drain.
Short trips, to the store aren't enough to keep the battery charged.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All,

Thank you so much for all the great info, can I overfill the standard tires at all by like 5 PSI each? To save time having to go to the gas station to air up. The one nice thing is I don't need a tire gage, so it saves me a lot of time, when the computer does the tracking and beeps. Silly question, how do I tell the temp in the garage, separate from outside?

@carpayments4life Gotcha alright, that hasn't really crossed my mind much, as my vehicle has about 7,600 miles only, never had any battery or starting issues, runs like a clock, how much is a trickle charger?

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
537 Posts
I use my simple and inexpensive ryobi battery operated air compresser to put air in our tires. I do have a small air compresser also but thr ryobi is much more convenient.

·
Registered
586 Posts
All,

Thank you so much for all the great info, can I overfill the standard tires at all by like 5 PSI each? To save time having to go to the gas station to air up. The one nice thing is I don't need a tire gage, so it saves me a lot of time, when the computer does the tracking and beeps. Silly question, how do I tell the temp in the garage, separate from outside?
You are probably fine putting 5psi of air in the tire at a gas station and then readjust once the car is parked over night. Remember the tire pressure will go up as you drive since the tires start to get warm. Ideally just have a small compressor. It’s nice to have one in the car anyway. And a pressure gauge.
If you don’t have a thermometer to see your garage temp, you can probably turn on your car and see what the dash says for outside temp in your garage.
I use a Battery Tender Jr. which is about $40 on Amazon.
Battery Tender Junior 12V Charger and Maintainer: Automatic 12V Powersports Battery Charger and Maintainer for Motorcycle, ATVs, and More - Smart 12 Volt, 750mA Battery Float Chargers - 021-0123 https://a.co/d/e1meyyU

·
Registered
155 Posts
Once a month I adjust the tire pressure as the weather changes.
I look at the TPMS readings about once a week.
Yes, your tire pressure will drop about 1psi per 10F change.
Also, the tires themselves are not completely sealed. Oxygen molecules can leak through the rubber molecules over time where nitrogen molecules are too big to do that. As a result, if your tire were freshly filled with normal air, it will lose about 21% of the air slowly. As you keep adding air, the tires will hold pressure better as they will only have nitrogen left in the them.
Another thing, since you park your car in the garage, you will need to compensate for the temp differences to adjust your pressure accordingly. For example, if you know your garage is about 20F higher than outside temp in the morning (that's when you should check tire pressure), you need to add 2 psi above the recommended pressure so when you do park your car outside for some reason like on a trip, your pressure is going to be correct.
Jason: I love this explanation for nitrogen in tires. Many shops sell nitrogen as a "add-on" for your car. Based on this description you'll end up with mostly nitrogen anyway over time, even if you add air (80% nitrogen, 20% oxygen). Please don't pay for nitrogen unless you're going racing.

Have a great day. Mike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We are in snow country and woke up to a tire pressure warning. Surprise. I figured it was because of the cold. The upside is increasing the air pressure up the mile per gallon noticeably.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm sorry but the professional in me can't let this slide. Atmospheric oxygen content is 20.9%, nitrogen 78.1%, argon 0.93%, carbon dioxide 0.04%. The rest trace gases. Compressed air is the same composition. I work with medical gases, pneumatics, & different gas dilutions.
On topic: tires will allow gas to diffuse over time. If the reading is really low I top off, if not I wait. Our temps can fluctuate over 20° during the day. It's easy to overinflate. I use a small compressor with a digital readout.

·
Registered
2021 Honda passport sport
1 Posts
I hardly drive anywhere myself. I never check the tire pressure. When the tire pressure light comes on I pull into jiffy lube and they put air in my tires. You don't need to check the air in your tires. All you need to do is put air in them when your passport lets you know with the tire pressure symbol on the dashboard. Mine usually comes on twice a year when it gets really cold or really hot.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm sorry but the professional in me can't let this slide. Atmospheric oxygen content is 20.9%, nitrogen 78.1%, argon 0.93%, carbon dioxide 0.04%. The rest trace gases. Compressed air is the same composition. I work with medical gases, pneumatics, & different gas dilutions.
On topic: tires will allow gas to diffuse over time. If the reading is really low I top off, if not I wait. Our temps can fluctuate over 20° during the day. It's easy to overinflate. I use a small compressor with a digital readout.
Over inflation is better than under inflation. When tires are low, the heat can build up and melt the rubber causing a blowout. People think too much air can cause a blowout. It’s the opposite.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Cold air condenses, I'm not sure what's controversial about that.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite
47 Posts
Hi Y'all

I usually just depend on my HondaLink app and check it there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Y'all

Yea, I have the same issues with our PP 2022 and earlier models. I just add extra air before the very cold weather and that seems to keep the idiot lights from alarming

1 - 20 of 20 Posts