Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve come across some previous threads on here and the Ridgeline, Pilot, and Odyssey forums regarding a smell (of hot oil or gas) entering the cabin while stopped and idling with the heater on. The smell can also be detected from outside the Passport while parked in the garage after driving. It is most noticeable with the hood popped on the passenger side of the engine. Many have concluded the culprit is the PCV breather hose.

Our Passport has been emitting a hot oil smell thru the vents with the heater on, and it can also be smelled while parked after driving, just like others have reported. Like others stated, it had started after its first oil change at 5,000 miles. No, it isn’t coming from the oil cap or the dipstick.

I removed the engine cover and sniffed around the breather tube and sure enough it smells.

I’m curious as to whether others on here are experiencing this same smell?

Also, I took a picture of the hose and was hoping some of you could confirm you have the same markings on it as ours?

Thanks everyone!

· Registered
1,029 Posts
The OEM tube/hose is...tube, PVC 11856-RLV-A00
It's molded to take the shape of its path, and has different end diameters.
The end which is easiest to get to has a 3/8" inside diameter.
The end which is hardest to get to has a 1/2" inside diameter.

Are you able to determine if one end or the other is producing the odor?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The smell is mostly along the length of the tube; it does not seem stronger at one end over the other. Furthermore, I can touch the tube and the smell will transfer to my hand.

With respect to the part number, which should remain constant, I am mostly interested in the markings on the tube, as to compare if maybe others have something different (perhaps Honda gets these from multiple vendors and each has a different rubber compound).

The OEM tube/hose is...tube, PVC 11856-RLV-A00
It's molded to take the shape of its path, and has different end diameters.
The end which is easiest to get to has a 3/8" inside diameter.
The end which is hardest to get to has a 1/2" inside diameter.

Are you able to determine if one end or the other is producing the odor?

· Registered
Fact? Fiction? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
476 Posts
I can’t see how there could be any real connection.
The oil fill cap is located very low on engine, between the radiator and the block . . . oil fill requires use of a long funnel. If a minor amount of oil spills or drips outside the oil-fill neck, it could easily land on pipe or motor . . . resulting in hot oil smell when engine heats up. Takes some time for it to burn off, depending on amount of oil and driving habits.

So it could be related.

Or you could try this.

· Registered
1,029 Posts
Photo 1 of 3... my original (190504) pvc hose number:

Photo 2 of 2...My spare PVC hose number (190222) in its bag. I bought this spare in case I damage the original hose (when I remove my oil catch can) when I go to the dealership.

Photo 3 of 3...The OEM part number, for the tube, PVC

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Registered
1,029 Posts
Maybe the hard plastic is cracked, at the top or bottom of the hose's connection points.
Remove the easy 3/8" hose and pump some air in to the (female) hose, while you listen for a hiss, at the 1/2" end of the hose.
While the easy connector is off pump air into the 3/8" male (top air intake) hard plastic, while you listen for a hiss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.