Honda Passport Forum banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
I just checked and the update wiped out the Navigation settings on my 2019 Elite. For me it's not a big deal - I re-programmed my "Home" setting.
A word of caution about programming your "home" setting. You should NOT program in your own home address, but rather some address at least a few blocks (or more) away. If your car is stolen the thief will not know your address for potenitally a home burglary. Think about it, if you need navigation instructions to get you home from another far away location, once you get to your own town you know where your home is.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 · (Edited)
A word of caution about programming your "home" setting. You should NOT program in your own home address, but rather some address at least a few blocks (or more) away. If your car is stolen the thief will not know your address for potenitally a home burglary. Think about it, if you need navigation instructions to get you home from another far away location, once you get to your own town you know where your home is.
That's generally a good advise if your car does not have a Remote Wipe Function, networked Honda cars have a personal information remote wipe function called "Personal Data Wipe" via HondaLink, if your car gets stolen you can wipe all your personal information without being phyically in touch with the car but this is part of the functions that will be lost by Honda owners who fail to update.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You bring up a good point!

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
515 Posts
That's generally a good advise if your car does not have a Remote Wipe Function, networked Honda cars have a personal information remote wipe function called "Personal Data Wipe" via HondaLink, if your car gets stolen you can wipe all your personal information without being phyically in touch with the car but this is part of the functions that will be lost by Honda owners who fail to update.
This holds true only if you have the Security Subscription of HondaLink is active. Most people will not pay for subscriptions that other auto makers provide for free.

Reactions: fx_chip

·
Registered
3 Posts
You are correct.
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Recently (within past 3 weeks) purchased a 2021 Passport Touring. I understand that there is a vital update that needs to be performed related to the Telematics Control Unit and 3g service, but my vehicle indicates that software is up-to-date. Current software version is B.1.3.4 (I understand that B.1.4.4 is the new version.) No matter how may times I "check" for an over the air update the vehicle says it's up to date.

Today the Systems Update app showed an exclamation point (seemingly indicating that an update was available) but when I touched it and the vehicle started searching for updates, it just came back with Software Up to Date.

Any ideas on how to get this update done? The bulletin says that not all 2021 Passports will require the update, but is there any foolproof way to know if your vehicle is included or not? I just don't want to get into a situation where the the update doesn't get done and then the only way to fix the issue is with a $450 repair.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

·
2019 Touring: since March-2019
3,392 Posts
Hi, I'm new to this forum. Recently (within past 3 weeks) purchased a 2021 Passport Touring. I understand that there is a vital update that needs to be performed related to the Telematics Control Unit and 3g service, but my vehicle indicates that software is up-to-date. Current software version is B.1.3.4 (I understand that B.1.4.4 is the new version.) No matter how may times I "check" for an over the air update the vehicle says it's up to date.

Today the Systems Update app showed an exclamation point (seemingly indicating that an update was available) but when I touched it and the vehicle started searching for updates, it just came back with Software Up to Date.

Any ideas on how to get this update done? The bulletin says that not all 2021 Passports will require the update, but is there any foolproof way to know if your vehicle is included or not? I just don't want to get into a situation where the the update doesn't get done and then the only way to fix the issue is with a $450 repair.

I'd ask you dealer...

Reactions: fx_chip

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
293 Posts
We have two 2021 pp, one a sport, the other an exl. Neither have had the update because it says update is current. It does say not all pp will need the update. Not sure what dictates that?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·

Honda could have made this process a bit more stress free. I think your situation may be any one of these:

1. Your new vehicle might not need the update since it probably arrived from the factory with a newer Telematics Control Unit and associated software.
2. Since Honda is doing a gradual roll out of the update so their servers will not be swamped the update may not be available for your vehicle yet.
3. If you received a notification and your vehicle checked, it might have discovered that your vehicle does not needed the update.

I would keep checking until the end of the month but if nothing changes I think you should give your Honda dealer a visit before February 22 so they can confirm if your vehicle needs the update or not. They will probably get the same result you got when you searched for an update and couldn't find any but if they informed you an update is not needed for your vehicle then they would be responsible for giving you a replacement Telematics Control Unit if it's later discovered that your vehicle needed an update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda could have made this process a bit more stress free. I think your situation may be any one of these:

1. Your new vehicle might not need the update since it probably arrived from the factory with a newer Telematics Control Unit and associated software.
2. Since Honda is doing a gradual roll out of the update so their servers will not be swamped the update may not be available for your vehicle yet.
3. If you received a notification and your vehicle checked, it might have discovered that your vehicle does not needed the update.

I would keep checking until the end of the month but if nothing changes I think you should give your Honda dealer a visit before February 22 so they can confirm if your vehicle needs the update or not. They will probably get the same result you got when you searched for an update and couldn't find any but if they informed you an update is not needed for your vehicle then they would be responsible for giving you a replacement Telematics Control Unit if it's later discovered that your vehicle needed an update.
Just an update. Spoke to a good friend who is a Service Manager at a Honda dealer a couple of states away. He asked me for my VIN and said he would run a check on it when he’s back at work next week. He also suggested contacting my local dealer.

Contacted the dealer this morning. Said they were aware of the OTA update and he ran the VIN check and nothing came up for the vehicle.

Maybe it has something to do with the vehicle being manufactured in December 2021 (it might have the same telematic unit as the new 2022’s).

I’ll keep checking it, just don’t want to miss the update and be stuck with a $450 bill to fix.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Touring AWD
35 Posts
Tonight I got the update reminder again with the ! icon, even though I had installed it a few weeks ago. I checked for updates and it was up to date. I'm guessing Honda can't tell if you have the update on their own, so they've sent the message to everyone as another reminder for those who haven't updated yet.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,750 Posts
Anyway around going to the dealer?
Computer Personal computer Gadget Font Audio equipment

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,750 Posts
Try downloading the update first.
do you know where I can find the link?
I checked google and Honda and not finding it.
The email they sent me had no information either.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
293 Posts
Neither of our pp has got a notification for an update. Honda says not all pp will need the update.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts