Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"By February 22, 2022, North American wireless network providers will be phasing out the 3G network the affected vehicle uses for HondaLink and Wi-Fi Hotspot services. An Over the Air Update (OTA) is required to update your vehicle’s embedded cellular unit, to enable it to connect to a new network that will allow you to continue to receive HondaLink and Wi-Fi Hotspot services."

Affected Features
HondaLink Remote
: Remote Start and Stop, Security Alarm Alert, Amazon Alexa Skill, Remote Lock and Unlock, Find My Car, Geofence Alert, Speed Alert, Destination by Voice, Stolen Vehicle Locator, Driver Feedback.
HondaLink Security : Emergency Call, Automatic Collision Notification, Enhanced Roadside Assistance, Personal Data Wipe.
HondaLink Concierge : Personal concierge services to make hotel, restaurant or airline reservations.
HondaLink Link : Dashboard, Vehicle Notifications, Vehicle Health Report, Send Destination.
Other Features: Wi-Fi Hotspot

How to perform the OTA update
Please follow these steps to complete the update.

Your vehicle may automatically perform Steps 1-3 in the background. If so, then please begin with Step 4 and press “Install Now”.
1. Go to the “HOME” screen on your vehicle display audio screen
2. Select “System Updates”
3. Select “via Wireless”
4. When the download is complete, select “Install Now”
5. The Installing bar will count to 100%
6. Wait unit you see “Installation of new software complete”

What are the consequences of not completing the OTA update?
HondaLink services and Wi-Fi Hotspot will no longer work as of February 22, 2022. Additionally, future Over the Air Update fixes and enhancements to your audio and connectivity system cannot be downloaded via the cellular network. Only Wi-Fi and USB updates will be available.

PLEASE NOTE : Unless the update is completed by February 22, 2022, Automatic Collision Notification will not function. If your airbag deploys or a significant collision is detected, your vehicle will be unable to contact an operator who could request that emergency services be dispatched.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I connected to the home WIFI for the first time and when doing this it said system up to date. Could this mean that is was updating via my phone?

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
511 Posts
Two years of ownership and I've only seen one update so far. Mine says it's up to date also, and I've been hooked up to my home WIFI from the get go.

Reactions: fx_chip and 14v6

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I connected to the home WIFI for the first time and when doing this it said system up to date. Could this mean that is was updating via my phone?
If it has constant network access via your phone or home WIFi then it's possible that it's already updated itself.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Perhaps you're right, fx_chip. I went out to check mine out today & it also said my updates were up to date. Either that or my dealership updated it while it was in the shop last week...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I suppose it's possible that the update isn't actually available yet...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I suppose it's possible that the update isn't actually available yet...
This is also a possibility everyone should consider. The press release might have gone out faster than the actual update. Better to set a phone reminder and check again in a few weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does the vehicle need to be running when it is updating? Or can I set it to accessories mode with the engine f and update that way?

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
511 Posts
Does the vehicle need to be running when it is updating? Or can I set it to accessories mode with the engine f and update that way?
Accessories mode has worked for me with the one update I have experienced.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I saw a yellow dot on my System Updates icon but I did not have time to do the update. A few days later I went back and after about a minute it said, "Up to date". Is there a way to check the version of the software to be sure?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I assume it's this one;
Home/settings/system/about
Honda SW Version B.1.3.4
I think this is the same level done a couple of yrs ago.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Got the email from Honda about the update. Tried this morning. Shows up to date. Guess I will have to check weekly since the email said "in the next few weeks"

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you for being a valued HondaLink1 customer. An important system update will be available for your Honda within the next month and requires your action.

Wireless providers are terminating the 3G network that supports HondaLink and WI-FI Hotspot services on February 22, 2022. As a result, your vehicle needs an Over the Air (OTA) software update so your services can work on the LTE network.

If you do not update your vehicle prior to February 22, 2022, important features such as Emergency Call, Remote Commands, Amazon Alexa Skill, as well as other security and convenience features including WI-FI Hotspot, will no longer work.

Without the update, Automatic Collision Notification will not function. If your airbag deploys or a significant collision is detected, your vehicle will be unable to contact an operator to request that emergency services be sent to you.

After February 22, 2022, services can only be restored by visiting an authorized dealer and paying for a new embedded cellular device.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The notification also says
After February 22, 2022, services can only be restored by visiting an authorized dealer and paying for a new embedded cellular device.
Wish I knew where this "embedded cellular device" was to change carriers

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The notification also says
Wish I knew where this "embedded cellular device" was to change carriers
I wish I knew too! It probably involves a replacement SIM and/or switching out a GSM module that one can buy on Alibaba.

·
Registered
180 Posts
We got this "! IMPORTANT" email two days ago and today I looked at it. Already updated. As I look-around the menu items, it seems that so long as your PP has an ALLOWed comm method (WiFi creds in our case) it will automatically update itself.

It's annoying that I had to fiddle-around for 10 minutes on this. Nothing in the email says "You may already be updated" and nothing in the Menus surrounding System Updates is clear about when-or-how the update occurred. Might be nice if Honda said "When complete, look <here> and you should see that you have <update ver xyz>.

I wasted time on this as apparently have an awful lot of others. Honda should know better!!!?!!!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We got this "! IMPORTANT" email two days ago and today I looked at it. Already updated. As I look-around the menu items, it seems that so long as your PP has an ALLOWed comm method (WiFi creds in our case) it will automatically update itself.

It's annoying that I had to fiddle-around for 10 minutes on this. Nothing in the email says "You may already be updated" and nothing in the Menus surrounding System Updates is clear about when-or-how the update occurred. Might be nice if Honda said "When complete, look <here> and you should see that you have <update ver xyz>.

I wasted time on this as apparently have an awful lot of others. Honda should know better!!!?!!!!

I agree that a means of verifying the update has been done should have been provided by Honda for such an important update. Many here have checked and they found no available update but they are not completely sure if it's yet to arrive or the vehicle has done it itself.
Honda is working hard on modernizing and moving it's vehicles into the fully connected ecosystem that EVs reside in but some "Go to the dealer" cobwebs still needs to be cleared.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Passport Elite, Modern Steel Metallic
5 Posts
Below is the first couple of sentences from the email Honda sent earlier this week. Sounds to me like the update is yet to come.

Thank you for being a valued HondaLink1 customer. An important system update will be available for your Honda within the next month and requires your action.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts