Honda Passport Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to start Honda Sensing System discussion to collect information on what is working and what needs improvement and hopefully, this feedback will get back top Honda so that programmatic changes can be made. A description of the Honda Sensing System can be found here Honda Sensing

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll start the conversation with the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). I use ACC regularly and frequently, I have always used cruise control heavily in every car. What I don't like about ACC is that it allows the speed to bleed of 6-7 mph before it adds gas and catches back up with the set speed limit, It really should hold the speed much batter than that... I would think a 1-2 MPH variance should be the goal. The same is true with going downhill, why does the system simply allow the car to keep speeding up requiring driver intervention. The system is tied into the brake system it should be able to keep that speed within the 1-2 MPH limit. I had a 2013 BMW X1 that did it without being smart... both up and downhill, I am driving a Ford Edge rental (got rear-ended in my PP) and it does a great job at this. Come on Honda..

·
Registered
207 Posts
The distance setting seems to have lots to do with how well ACC works. Overall I find the entire sensing suite needs work, it is rudimentary compared to other models and brands. The LKAS is easily confused and always losing lock and the ACC is too fiddly to be worth using. I usually just use standard cruise and even that is not as easy and responsive as on many vehicles. It should respond quickly to up and down clicks to adjust by one mph.

The parking sensors also need work, they miss things. The camera gets blocked by dirt or snow easily and sucks in low light. Overall this entire sensing package needs refinement.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The distance setting seems to have lots to do with how well ACC works. Overall I find the entire sensing suite needs work, it is rudimentary compared to other models and brands. The LKAS is easily confused and always losing lock and the ACC is too fiddly to be worth using. I usually just use standard cruise and even that is not as easy and responsive as on many vehicles. It should respond quickly to up and down clicks to adjust by one mph.

The parking sensors also need work, they miss things. The camera gets blocked by dirt or snow easily and sucks in low light. Overall this entire sensing package needs refinement.
Thanks for your post, all of my complaints and yours are software-driven I believe so hopefully by airing the issues here we'll get some improvements... Honda Engineers are you out there?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't think they read this forum as it is not sponsored by Honda and only a customer run forum. I hope they get wind of it though and give us an update. That assumes the problems can be overcome with software and not a sensor or firmware limitation. It could be poor hardware or system design too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I traded in my 2017 CR-V Touring for a 2019 Passport Touring and what is troubling to me is that the three-year old CR-V seemed to have less problems doing the same things as the new PP. The ACC in the CR-V was so seamless that I never much noticed it, but the PP hunts and seems to begin tapping the brakes as soon as it senses a slower moving vehicle. I became accustomed to the automatic high beams in the CR-V and knew all the places when they would turn on, but the PP never turns on the high beams (yes, they are activated). I was expecting that things would be improved after three years, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The whole sensing package is crap on the PP. I get constant brake checks due to oncoming vehicles and had the brakes locked up the other day when it didn’t like how close I got to the car ahead making a right turn. I’ve never seen had the auto brights come on. This whole vehicle is rough around the edges I call it but I still love it. I’m thinking it’s probably first year production issues and they will get it worked out.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
428 Posts
My wife has a 2017 CRV and have to admit the Honda sensing and auto high beams work much better than the PP. Hopefully some updates might will alleviate some of the shortcomings that the PP is plagued with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd like to start Honda Sensing System discussion to collect information on what is working and what needs improvement and hopefully, this feedback will get back top Honda so that programmatic changes can be made. A description of the Honda Sensing System can be found here
I noticed when driving on level surface and lightly grasping the steering wheel that a warning pops up every 15 seconds saying STEERING IS REQUIRED. Even though I have my hands on the steering wheel. If you continue to hold lightly the car leans left crossing the dotted lines on the road and forces you to pull right on the steering wheel. Like I said, happens every 15 seconds. Very annoying.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I noticed when driving on level surface and lightly grasping the steering wheel that a warning pops up every 15 seconds saying STEERING IS REQUIRED. Even though I have my hands on the steering wheel. If you continue to hold lightly the car leans left crossing the dotted lines on the road and forces you to pull right on the steering wheel. Like I said, happens every 15 seconds. Very annoying.
Turn the lane keep assist off.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Honda seriously needs to outsource their software for these safety features as they appear incompetent. I also own an F150 that works flawlessly and I’m traveling in a new Mazda CX-5 that also is flawless. C’mon Honda, wake up.

Reactions: gwar9999

·
Registered
46 Posts
Honda seriously needs to outsource their software for these safety features as they appear incompetent. I also own an F150 that works flawlessly and I’m traveling in a new Mazda CX-5 that also is flawless. C’mon Honda, wake up.
I traded a 2017 CR-V, so I noticed the stark difference in the quality of the ACC. I also own a Ford truck with ACC, and it behaves flawlessly. The CR-V was very good. But the Passport not only doesn't have the low speed follow the CR-V had, but it also is not anywhere close to being as smooth in speed transitions. If Honda can make both ACC and Lane Keep Assist work very well in the CR-V, why can't the same be done in the Passport? It is the most noticeable aspect of my trade "up," which in these areas is a distinct trade down.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Collectively all the comments here are valid and, unfortunately, to be expected in a first-year production vehicle. What we are is Honda's Beta test group without Honda having to pay for vehicle testing. We're the "first adopters" of the PP. I'll bet the second and third year PP's will have little or none of the ailments described above. Just my thoughts . . . .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Collectively all the comments here are valid and, unfortunately, to be expected in a first-year production vehicle. What we are is Honda's Beta test group without Honda having to pay for vehicle testing. We're the "first adopters" of the PP. I'll bet the second and third year PP's will have little or none of the ailments described above. Just my thoughts . . . .
The Passport is not some radically new vehicle and should have benefitted from the Pilot early adopters. I was not expecting problems from the same tech that worked perfectly fine three years ago.

·
Registered
923 Posts
The Passport is not some radically new vehicle and should have benefitted from the Pilot early adopters. I was not expecting problems from the same tech that worked perfectly fine three years ago.
I would agree with your comment, but the actual experience a number of us are having is turning out not to be the case.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree with everything here pretty much coming from an 2017 Ford Escape Titanium which had more sensors and better ACC. PP has a better infotainment screen and it's bluetooth is more reliable than my Ford.

I struggled to find my next vehicle when my lease was up but ultimately settled on a 2019 PP Elite. The top vehicle on my list was the Acura RDX but the lack of Android Auto concerned me (they had promised it for well over a year with nothing to show for it). Naturally, now that I have the PP, they've rolled out Android Auto to the RDX, my luck. Sure would've liked the better ACC and 360-camera and probably every other feature in the RDX more. I do like the PP but it's underwhelming with their lack of tech investment. Sure there's a chance they can upgrade some of it via a software update but not the remote start, lack of sensors, lack of cameras, location of blindspot indicator, etc....

·
Registered
589 Posts
Is there a sequence to have regular cruise control, without the smart ACC being activated?

·
Registered
49 Posts
You hold down the button that adjusts the distance until the ACC light goes off. Do the same to turn it back on. I've never done it but I'm pretty sure this is the method.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts