Honda Passport Forum banner
81 - 100 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Ev's aren't yet ready for prime time. When there are charging stations as plentiful as gas stations and the EV's can charge as fast as filling your tank with gas I'll be interested. I just can't see planning my road trips around the locations of charging stations.
Now you need to get those highly educated daughters you paid for to buy you the cars you've put off;)
Maybe, the graduate works for GM now, ha ha.

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite, Black
3 Posts
New member, love the forum. Have used it extensively in chatting about issues with my local Honda dealer. A very valuable source of information. Thought I’d quit lurking and post a little tome on my experiences with our 2020 Passport Elite. First, as a baseline, we’re an all Honda family and have been for decades. This is our 18th Honda product in some 35 years or purchasing them. So we’re pretty darned familiar with the ergonomics and MMI of Honda and their build quality. And herein in my biggest note on the Passports coming out of Trussville, AL. Our Elite, in no fashion whatsoever has been put together as well as our prior Honda products (CR-V’s, Odyssey’s, Accord and Civics). Not even in the same league. You can see visible gaps and gap differences in tailgate and interior trim. Another neat (tongue-in-cheek neat) thing we found out is we will never, ever get dealer installed accesories again. We had the transmission cooler, down lights, towing package and some other things installed and we have had problems with every single one of them, including the much documented 7-8 dog clutch gear noise due to the tranny cooler installed. Honda is squarely shirking responsibility on that one! That noise alone will make me not purchase another Passport!

I’ll never understand why Honda doesn’t just put these items on at the factory like every one else, but that’s just my opinion. And get the towing capacity up to Audi’s 7,500 pounds, that they offer with a similarly sized V6 and the same ZF9 transmission.

Lastly, we also inherited the also well documented on this site, wind noise in the passenger window. I’ve followed those threads and in our case, I don’t think for a minute it is windshield related. I wonder if all the trim stuff removed to install the down lights didn’t cause it. One thing I do know is i will be un-skinning the passenger door as I have slowly identified the noise about halfway down and halfway across the door. It’s literally right above where your armrest is. Sounds like a rod/metal piece impinging on some plastic. I know that’s going to be a bear to do, but the noise drives us nuts on trips.

A long story short: Honda’s Trussville Passports are not equivalent to Marysville or Ontario products in our purchase history. We had a few, small issues on our Trussville Odyssey’s as well, so i think i can state Trussville’s QC isn’t up to the other Honda plants.

Sorry for the long winded first post, but I had a lot on my mind! Hope this helps someone on the ZF9/Trans Cooler and Passenger Wind Noise issues, in some fashion!

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite, Black
3 Posts
Have you looked into working with a different dealership?
We have no real beef with the dealership. If anything, they have gone above and beyond in supporting us. The poor installation techniques were essentially a tech chasing flat rate for dealer installed accessories. Honda pays them very much below actual effort, so whereas I’m not happy on the overall install, they did make it right. My point that I was trying to make is, why cannot Honda offer these things, notably a towing package, from the factory. i think the Ridgeline is coming out with that package this year.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I've been hearing about the Alabama plant since I joined the Ridgeline forum in late 2016. Unfortunately, even with the changes they've made there problems persist 7 years later. From what I read they are spotty in nature and it's basically hit or miss. If you read the Ridgeline forum there are problems with water entering the interior from the rear of the cab. My Ridgeline was poorly assembled, my Passport is much better but has some blatant assembly errors that would never pass the first round of an inspection but it passes at the factory and then at the dealer. It's obvious no one cares but at least there is some resale value there to limit your loss should you choose to get out.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
777 Posts
Sold my Audi to get back into a Honda! Sad to say, I still have another one in the garage and it will be my last! Audi is like dating a smoking hot super model, that is a complete nut job and will ruin your marriage and your career! Good luck with that! 😁

Reactions: fx_chip and jasonpp

·
Registered
306 Posts
Sold my Audi to get back into a Honda! Sad to say, I still have another one in the garage and it will be my last! Audi is like dating a smoking hot super model, that is a complete nut job and will ruin your marriage and your career! Good luck with that! 😁
Pretty much any German cars without a warranty. Bought an E46 330xi as a winter beater, it was emptying my wallet rather quick.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
777 Posts
Pretty much any German cars without a warranty. Bought an E46 330xi as a winter beater, it was emptying my wallet rather quick.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring
141 Posts
I have owned many Volkswagens over the years and I was loyal, first car was a beetle. They drove nice and I got burned every time. We have Hondas and Subaru’s now and it is strange not seeing the dash lit with check engine lights. The BMWs I had were better but I got rid of them when the warranty expired.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
420 Posts
It's unfortunate that Honda would rather have customer deal with the dealer than having everything put together properly at the factory.
If this is the Honda quality I am seeing, I might as well buy a Ford.
If you buy ford it better be the f150! All other platforms are way less quality than Honda! Coming from someone who has been buying ford's for 3 decades! Hense I just purchased two 2021 Passports!

·
Registered
38 Posts
21 Passport Elite here. Overall love it but there's something loose in the steering wheel, a dash rattle near the center speaker, and the black trim on the dash on the passenger side rubs and rattles and one of the biggest functionality disappointments is how jerky the adaptive cruise control is after the smoothness and full speed adaptive cruise control on the CR-V it replaced as well as it's garage mate: a Jeep Gladiator.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Anyone else see the list of automobile quality rankings this morning ?

I couldn’t believe how far down the list Honda was, they were actually scored lower than the average. Manufacturers such as Jeep, Ford, Buick, VW and at least 15 more were scored higher than Honda. I believe it was initial quality but dont quote me I didn’t read the article, just glanced at the list.

I’ve owned Honda’s since ‘85 and have only had one issue over all those years, I had purchased a used ‘83 Civic wagon and the previous owner installed the wrong thermostat.

With some of the poor workmanship/engineering issues mentioned on this forum I’m beginning to wonder of Honda’s quality. I’ve already had my PP in on the radio service bulletin and hope that will be the end of those trips to the dealership.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If the VIN begins with a "J" your reliability, fit, and finish will be excellent.
Passports aren't made in Japan and their VIN won't start with a "J", instead they're made in the USA and their VIN will begin with a "number".
Only the Honda Fit and the Civic Hybrid are made in Japan.
My only issue with the Honda Fit is that its 1.5L engine doesn't get warm enough to heat the cabin, during Winter months.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had my 2021 Passport EXL AWD since late October of 2021. We have owned/leased 9 Hondas since 2016 and they have been mostly problem free except the Passport.

In the first 2000 miles, I have had the following issues:
  • The dreaded brake shimmy that is most noticeable at 40-50 MPH
  • Wind noise from both the passenger side front door and sunroof
  • Auto Start/Stop taking too long to restart
  • Cruise control setting 8-10 MPH lower than what it is set at
  • Horn changes tune mid honk
  • Driver seat flops forward and backwards about 1.5 inches
  • Memory seats do not maintain the memory that has been set
  • Bluetooth audio locks up often, usually after voice commands and will not regain function until car is turned off and back on

I see the threads about many people having AN issue with your Passport. How many of you are having laundry lists of issues?

·
Registered
251 Posts
2021, 8,000 miles, 0 issues.
I hate to hear quality control is starting to suck for some, but I feel it’s likely more on the quality control side from labor shortages, workers missing things, perhaps some chip bugs, etc. more than it’s anything with design flaws.

Meaning they “should” be mostly fixable things by the dealer.

81 - 100 of 130 Posts