Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think I’m the only person that likes the blind spot monitoring location signal. My mirrors are setup so they show my blind spots so a light would be useless to me if I’m already looking in the mirror. And I find it annoying to see other cars lights on their mirrors as I go by.

In any event, like someone else said, the sensing package on this vehicle had no influence in my decision to buy it, none. I’d prefer it didn’t have it at all. The only technological feature I care about is Apple CarPlay and so far, it works great for me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I think I’m the only person that likes the blind spot monitoring location signal. My mirrors are setup so they show my blind spots so a light would be useless to me if I’m already looking in the mirror. And I find it annoying to see other cars lights on their mirrors as I go by.

In any event, like someone else said, the sensing package on this vehicle had no influence in my decision to buy it, none. I’d prefer it didn’t have it at all. The only technological feature I care about is Apple CarPlay and so far, it works great for me.
If they moved the blind spot indicators to the back ot the same plastic, right on the corner faceing toward the driver, it would be perfect. I actually like them inside too, but why did they push them so far forward that a glance at the mirror may exclude them?

I don't use the sensing myself, as irritated as I am with it, but you cannot easily disable some of its flaws. Colission Brake Mitigation requires a long press every start up to disable just like auto engine stop.

I wonder how many people WOULD use the Sensing if it worked well. Forget auto brights and perfect cameras or parking sensors- just give us no false brake checks and reliable adaptive cruise that works at any speed. I think many of us would be over the moon for those two changes. I still enjoy the car, just hate paying for features that suck. Same as the over loud beeper for tailgate or proximity warn- just silly and needless that we have to put up with it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If they moved the blind spot indicators to the back ot the same plastic, right on the corner faceing toward the driver, it would be perfect. I actually like them inside too, but why did they push them so far forward that a glance at the mirror may exclude them?

I don't use the sensing myself, as irritated as I am with it, but you cannot easily disable some of its flaws. Colission Brake Mitigation requires a long press every start up to disable just like auto engine stop.

I wonder how many people WOULD use the Sensing if it worked well. Forget auto brights and perfect cameras or parking sensors- just give us no false brake checks and reliable adaptive cruise that works at any speed. I think many of us would be over the moon for those two changes. I still enjoy the car, just hate paying for features that suck. Same as the over loud beeper for tailgate or proximity warn- just silly and needless that we have to put up with it.
I don’t know about the light as I like it. And really, I’m a looker. If I’m going to change lanes I turn my head and look or at worst, use the mirror (which are setup to see the blind spot as I’ve done for years with all my cars). I don’t care for any of the sensing features as I just see any value in any of them except for the collision avoidance feature. That really could save a rear end accident. Anyway, I loathe the days of self driving cars....

As for that stupid beeping of the lift gate, it took 5 mins to disconnect that speaker and I’m very pleased. ?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Same as the over loud beeper for tailgate or proximity warn- just silly and needless that we have to put up with it.
Agree about the annoying excessively loud tailgate beeps (not to mention when you have auto-lock enabled and have to hear it repeatedly because you walked away while it was closing) not sure why they didn't use an air-horn instead. I mean there's a possibility I might miss the obnoxiously loud but not "air-horn loud" sounds. Obviously, for a company that thinks I need to see a disclaimer about driving carefully and avoiding distractions every single time I start it, can't be too sure I heard the excessively loud beeps. "Safety, safety, safety" is how Honda rolls no matter how annoying and unsafe the feature is as its implemented-- the disclaimer overlays and preempts collision alerts, the hard-braking collision avoidance is more likely to cause an accident than prevent one, would be safer to have more sensors than less, etc....

·
Registered
934 Posts
I, too, noticed that the auto setting of the brights come on only when there is no lights ahead. I've even noticed that they go off when a bright reflecting road sign comes up!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Guess I might as well join the fray here. I have been quite pleased with my PP Touring sensing package especially the ACC up until a suicidal pheasant attacked my PP on the Interstate at 80 mph last month. He ( very nice rooster) managed to take out about 1/3 of my grill, the air conditioning evaporator and damage the radiator also to the tune of about $2200 in repairs. Thinking my $100 deductible comp insurance was a pretty good investment. Any how, now my ACC is suffering from hallucinations, probably traumatized by that terroist pheasant?:eek: Now, the ACC slows for vehicles in the right lane when I am in the left lane on the interstate about 1/4 of the time and tends to be like Mr. Magoo other times, NOT seeing the triple FEDEX truck right ahead of me in the same lane.? Dealership has now ordered a complete new microwave radar system after trying twice to solve this problem with out much luck. Test equipment shows everything working and aligned properly but still not consistently working properly, they even let me see the actual test results in the shop, so they are doing their part as far as I can tell.

I read all the previous gripes about the sensing package and it's shortcomings, but please remember it is NOT an autopilot system, it is an assistance package which might help in certain instances. As a retired USAF and commercial pilot, I can tell you one thing for sure, you have not experienced any thing quite as thrilling or terrifying as an autopilot malfunction while cruising along at 350Kts ( about 400 mph). Things happen even in multi-million dollar aircraft systems that operators don't like or appreciate, so I'm not actually expecting a $40,000 vehicle to be perfect either. All in all, the PP works quite well, at least in my perspective. You all have a good day now.

Reactions: equine202

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
"As a retired USAF and commercial pilot, I can tell you one thing for sure, you have not experienced any thing quite as thrilling or terrifying as an autopilot malfunction while cruising along at 350Kts ( about 400 mph)."

Are you referring to the Boeing 737 MAX?

·
Registered
315 Posts
"As a retired USAF and commercial pilot, I can tell you one thing for sure, you have not experienced any thing quite as thrilling or terrifying as an autopilot malfunction while cruising along at 350Kts ( about 400 mph)."

?

I don’t think anyone thinks of it as an “autopilot” but do expect to work better than it does.

·
Registered
109 Posts

No sir, never had the thrill of that aircraft .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just saw this on the net, and thought I would share. Tesla Model 3 on Autopilot slams into two parked cars, one a police cruiser. Oops !

·
Registered
104 Posts
I ran into a former colleague the other day. He asked me how I was, I responded with a few highlights. I asked him "how's life?" and he responded "I finally got my Tesla". Kinda odd response, since I didn't know he longed for one or not but was expecting some sort of updates on wife and kids and such.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Rode in a neighbor’s Jaguar suv today and noticed the “auto” symbol on his dash that looks similar to ours for the auto brights. Or I believe they look the same as never seen mine come on. Anyway, after dark riding the street our neighborhood is off of, I noticed them going on and off instantly as cars approached and then went by. It was not affected at all by road signs, street lights, or anything but oncoming headlights. I was absolutely amazed at how basically perfect it worked.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
Or I believe they look the same as never seen mine come on.

There are TWO pre-existing conditions that must be met BEFORE they will auto switch hi/lo.

First the stalk must be set to "auto" and then they MUST be enabled. Something like holding the flash to pass function for a full 30 seconds and wait for a signal (I forget if it is audio or visual). Check the manual for specifics.

At receipt mine were NOT enabled, after following the directions they've worked fine.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine stay on auto as I can’t be bothered with manually turning the lights on and off. lol. But yes, I’ve done the stalk dance to activate them. I rarely use the brights as I find the regular lights to be more than sufficient and I’m actually very impressed with them. Just an observation of the feature in a vehicle from another manufacturer.

·
Registered
2019 Elite
1,168 Posts
In my limited night time driving ...

Something that I've noticed (and I may be the exception here) but when on a dark road (running high beams) there is a clear demarcation line where the uppers are cut off.

When approaching on-coming traffic my natural instinct is to switch to low beams - Before the auto sensor does so.
But generally this on-coming traffic is still in the 'cut off' area and so I'm not blinding them (I hope).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Coming from a 2018 Volvo XC60, the Pilot Assist was awesome, stop and go, stayed in the lanes, would always see the car in front! It even had collision mitigation, someone cut into my lane once very abruptly and the Volvo slowed and swerved on it's own, then proceeded.

Auto brights were also awesome!

At one point I had always thought these features frivolous, then I used them in heavy stop and go traffic and that changed my opinion completely.

Not so awesome, cost nearly 2x the Passport.

This switch to the Passport has been difficult in this regard. My wife's CR-V does much better, not quite as good as the Volvo but very close.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I posted a summary of my take on this in another forum

·
Registered
2021 AWD Sport Crystal Black / 2021 AWD EX-L lSteel Metallic
262 Posts
I still miss the button I could press with my left foot for brights on my 1970 f100! Hands never left the steering wheel, now that's safety. Oh, about those seat belts lol.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts