Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) During the original November Press Release Video, some Honda bigwig said that the Passport was aimed at 30-somethings?
OOPs - based the people on this forum, I would say the majority of the buyers are 50+

2) Most Honda Dealers are holding to MSRP and the dealers around me in Southern California are lucky if they are selling 1 per week! Honda World Westminster had 30 Passports for nearly 2 weeks and I saw over the weekend it dropped to 29!
OOPs - Hey Honda - Need to give people some discounts, otherwise the Passport is MORE than a Pilot and will be a sales failure!

Thoughts??

·
Registered
236 Posts
While I didn't hear an exact age range, they did for sure say that a Passport buyer would tend to be younger and less likely to have kids than a Pilot buyer. But I think manufacturers blow a lot of smoke at those new model reveals. Anybody will buy anything if it fits their needs. Remember the Scion xB, designed to be "youth-oriented" but mainly purchased and adored by people 40+? And in a plot twist, sometimes marketers will say the product is for one group (young, adventurous) knowing that the main buyer (older, sensible) is just aspiring to be perceived as in that group.

As for the pricing, dealers are free to set their prices and we are free to reject them. I can wait, but I'll be tracking the sales reports and price-paid thread.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Clearly, the Elite model should have been intended for 50+ age group. Honda should have added chrome around the grille and belt moldings along with silver wheels. Those in this age group are more apt to spend the extra money for the amenities that the Elite model offers.

·
Registered
152 Posts
1) During the original November Press Release Video, some Honda bigwig said that the Passport was aimed at 30-somethings?
OOPs - based the people on this forum, I would say the majority of the buyers are 50+

Thirty something's aren't buying 40 k new cars. They are trying to dig out of student loan debt, buy ahouse and start a family. The crv looks more sporty then the Passport. I think there USA market for a sporty 2 row SUV that will sell to the 40 plus segment.

But they didn't make the Passport sporty and distinct.

They would have done better with a crv off road six inches longer with a V6 and 10 speed transmission.

They are not selling them at the dealers I am watching either

2) Most Honda Dealers are holding to MSRP and the dealers around me in Southern California are lucky if they are selling 1 per week! Honda World Westminster had 30 Passports for nearly 2 weeks and I saw over the weekend it dropped to 29!
OOPs - Hey Honda - Need to give people some discounts, otherwise the Passport is MORE than a Pilot and will be a sales failure!

Thoughts??

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes they did make a mistake. Its not between a CRV and Pilot. Its not a new body to expect full
MSRP. Its a short Pilot with a four year old body, that some how gets worse gas mileage.
They also said 8.4" of ground clearance. Lol. Its only .8 more than Pilot. Smaller, worse MPG with the
Plagued non Honda transmission as your only option. The lower trim Pilots have the better Honda 6-speed without the need for S/S. And the upper trim Odysseys get the better made 10 speed with better MPG. And yet still does not come with an ATF cooler to get that 5,000 lbs towing or a timing chain like the Highlander. Its odd for them to also create a 2019 Sport that has 20" wheels, Duel
exhaust, Push button transmission with paddel shifters, and yet give it the little B.S. 5" screen with
no Apple or Andriod.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mark, I think you are abosolutely correct in what you said. As a thirty something myself, this car has always seemed overpriced, with bad mileage and focus on things I don’t care as much about.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I am a retired 63 year old male and just bought the passport last week. I bought the pearl black elite. This is makes the 16th Honda that I have purchased. I have owned a Civic, Civic Hybrid, Insight, Pilot, Accord,and many CRV’s. Leasing made this possible. As you can tell, I am faithful to the Honda brand. I can get a good deal and the brand has been very reliable. I bought the Passport Elite because I wanted something different. I was tired of the CRV’s and didn’t need something as big as a Pilot. The Passport fit the bill. I liike the blackout look. The interior is very comfortable with lots of space. I am a widower so I did not need a third row. I live in Indiana and my son lives in Denver. I am anxious to travel to the mountains there and do some light off road driving. I don’t know if it was designed for younger adults but it is perfect for this 63 year old. Maybe I am just going through my senior year crisis. I have used the same salesman for every purchase. The Fort Wayne dealer also has a great service department. All reasons I keep coming back to Honda.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm an under-30 considering the passport. They could probably do better in this segment by putting more of the tech features in the lower trims. I'm not buying a car without CarPlay but I don't care so much about leather seats and glossy materials. I might end up in an Elite just for the ventilated seats though, it's hot in Florida, moreso with leather interior.

I'm shying away from luxury brands (Acura, Audi, etc.) because I want something simpler and less fiddly. I don't want something that feels fragile or tempermental. I want something that feels more like a simple truck but with the modern tech features that should be table stakes for all cars at this point.

In general I think a lot of manufacturers pay lip service to targeting a younger audience, but in reality they know that the demographic with more disposable income is one or two age brackets up from there. That's intentional, they're selling the young and sporty image to those who want to pay for it. Just look at recent Lexus and Mercedes aggressive styling for an example.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It was a poor decision to slot the Passport so closely to that of the Pilot in regards to price. Unless you a are a current Pilot owner looking to downsize, it makes little sense to buy the model that offers less utility for the same money. Completely agree that they are going to continue to have a tough time selling through units if they don't start offering some better incentives.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like you should also test drive a Mazda CX-5 in either the GTR or Signature configurations.......

I'm an under-30 considering the passport. They could probably do better in this segment by putting more of the tech features in the lower trims. I'm not buying a car without CarPlay but I don't care so much about leather seats and glossy materials. I might end up in an Elite just for the ventilated seats though, it's hot in Florida, moreso with leather interior.

I'm shying away from luxury brands (Acura, Audi, etc.) because I want something simpler and less fiddly. I don't want something that feels fragile or tempermental. I want something that feels more like a simple truck but with the modern tech features that should be table stakes for all cars at this point.

In general I think a lot of manufacturers pay lip service to targeting a younger audience, but in reality they know that the demographic with more disposable income is one or two age brackets up from there. That's intentional, they're selling the young and sporty image to those who want to pay for it. Just look at recent Lexus and Mercedes aggressive styling for an example.

·
Registered
152 Posts

Bingo on the marketing. Try to give the older population with money the idea they are buying youth! Problem is.... the product doesn't match the hype.... its subjective but imo the crv looks more sport than the Passport. If the passport had a unique sporty look it would get the money out of the older youth seeking crowd.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Last Friday I brought home my Passport Elite “black on black” it is a awesome vehicle, and so is the Pilot! I am 66 years old and didn’t need a 8 passenger vehicle because I don’t intend to have more children!
So I do agree that maybe Honda missed the mark in making the Passport for the younger people.
I was tired of not getting heat out of my 2017 CRV, so I wanted a bigger engine “there’s no replacement for displacement “, So when I seen the Passport for the first time it reminded me of the old 90’s suv, actually it’s close to the size that they were.
What is interesting is they don’t seem to be flying out the door as I expected? Dealerships are getting them to fill there stock then there they set..
When I was waiting for the transport to deliver my Passport “2weeks” I would check the dealership parking lot every couple of days to see what Passports they had, seem that there inventory was increasing and nothing was being sold. I asked the salesmen if my Passport was the 1st to be sold and he said no, I was the 2nd person to buy one. That was already in to the 2nd week after there release. All in all I couldn’t be happier with my decision, its a perfect fit for me and my age.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Bingo on the marketing. Try to give the older population with money the idea they are buying youth! Problem is.... the product doesn't match the hype.... its subjective but imo the crv looks more sport than the Passport. If the passport had a unique sporty look it would get the money out of the older youth seeking crowd.
I currently have a 2017 CR-V and am not in love with the 1.5L turbo / CVT / FWD combo. Having a bigger engine and more RWD dynamics is something I'd appreciate in a new vehicle.

I don't really like the looks of the CX-5 but it's probably one that I'll test drive. Same with the RDX, although I like the idea of the taller and wider Passport. I'm 6'5 and the CR-V works but isn't always super comfortable on long trips.

Strangely enough another one I have my eye on is the upcoming Kia Telluride. I wish more companies would make midsize SUVs without the third row Minivan length. The Passport doesn't have a ton of competitors in that space. The Edge is old and full of Ford plastic, the 4Runner doesn't have much tech and has more limited interior space because of the truck frame.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Being part of the older crowd, I not much for change. The Passport seem to look traditional. I’m sure they should of changed its looks on this go around “3rd version” of the Passport. I’m glad they didn’t because I love the looks of it as it sets, I wouldn’t want to change anything.
I do think the the 2019 Chevy Blazer is going to kill the mid size SUV market with the new model. I think they are “Butt ugly” but, I believe that I am a minority, they will sell like hot cakes because of there style?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I currently have a 2017 CR-V and am not in love with the 1.5L turbo / CVT / FWD combo. Having a bigger engine and more RWD dynamics is something I'd appreciate in a new vehicle.

I don't really like the looks of the CX-5 but it's probably one that I'll test drive. Same with the RDX, although I like the idea of the taller and wider Passport. I'm 6'5 and the CR-V works but isn't always super comfortable on long trips.

Strangely enough another one I have my eye on is the upcoming Kia Telluride. I wish more companies would make midsize SUVs without the third row Minivan length. The Passport doesn't have a ton of competitors in that space. The Edge is old and full of Ford plastic, the 4Runner doesn't have much tech and has more limited interior space because of the truck frame.
Speaking of Kia.... I test drove a 2019 Sorento with the Touring package.....Simply amazing Harmon Kardon stereo that sounds even better than the Passport ( which I also thought was amazing).... all the bells and whistles AWD, panoramic roof, Leather, Apple car play, great cockpit layout, has third row but I would just leave that down for more cargo.... V6 tows 5000lbs and is much less expensive to set up for towing

And can get it Under 34k!

But .... I have always owned toyota or Honda. The Sorento gets great consumer reports reviews. Just don't know if I can jump brands.

But it looks like Kia is a strong up and coming competitor. It actually unseated Lexus for the lowest number of complaints in the first 90 days.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Being part of the older crowd, I not much for change. The Passport seem to look traditional. I’m sure they should of changed its looks on this go around “3rd version” of the Passport. I’m glad they didn’t because I love the looks of it as it sets, I wouldn’t want to change anything.
I do think the the 2019 Chevy Blazer is going to kill the mid size SUV market with the new model. I think they are “Butt ugly” but, I believe that I am a minority, they will sell like hot cakes because of there style?
Gary you should be happy. It's all about finding the vehicle that calls your name and makes you smile. With all of my criticism .... I still think that the Passport is a very solid vehicle from a great Auto company Honda. I wish you many years of enjoyment in your new ride!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I think the Passport crosses all ages. Depends on your needs and wants. It can be a fit for 30 somethings as well as senior citizens. Lots of room. I had it out in the snow and ice today........put it in snow mode and it had great control and traction. I was very pleased. Never had a heated steering wheel before and was surprised how much I like it. Another thing I really like is the view. The best of any car I have owned. Huge windows and nothing to block your view. I also like that you sit up high. Lots of head room, leg room and storage room. It is very comfortable. I know the look isn’t for everyone but I like it. I have the black pearl Elite. One other very important thing to consider. Honda’s are very safe. I know it isn’t safety rated yet but I expect it to be high. I was in very serious accident three years ago in a CRV. I was hit broadside and all airbags deployed. If not for the safety design I may not be here to write this today. Something we all should consider and especially those with a family. Overall I had the car for a week and really enjoy it. Sacrificed gas mileage for other perks. Again a great car for old and young. Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I am also in my early 60's. The car buying process for me involves matching the real benefits of various cars to my specific requirements. I don't pay much attention to marketing hype. I want flexible cargo space for camping and other gear (or for sleeping in the car, when needed), AWD for snow and light off road duty (forest roads, etc.) and comfort for long road trips.

So far, I have managed to avoid getting leather in any of my cars, but this time to get the features that I want (touring trim), looks like I'll be getting leather.

Previously, I was looking very hard at the Pilot and Odyssey, which check some of my boxes, but the Passport looks like it will check more boxes.

·
Registered
236 Posts
So far, I have managed to avoid getting leather in any of my cars, but this time to get the features that I want (touring trim), looks like I'll be getting leather.
I love leather. Easy to clean and never too hot or too cold if the heated seats and A/C are up to the task. Hopefully the Passport's perforated leather isn't high maintenance when it comes to spills and debris.

·
Registered
86 Posts

The Honda EX Pilot should fit your needs better in Florida. The cloth seats will still be better
than the Elite seats on hot and humid days. It has a better, and less complicated Honda 6-speed.
You can drop the 3rd and 2nd rows to have a truck like cargo area, still have your 8" screen and better MPG. And you will save a lot of money. also no need for the S/S.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts