Honda Passport Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
NotcherB,,,
Getting flat spots on my tires is not what I was worried about.
Putting the transmission in to neutral will allow the wheels to spin, so I can attach a strap and tow my Passport with another car, without damaging the drivetrain was my goal.

Pshadoa...
The plate is made out of a scrap piece of 1/8" thick aluminum.

1. I cut/drilled out a 3/16" x 1 1/16" slot, for the bent bar to slide in to and labeled it.
2. I drilled a 1/4" hole to slide over the OEM battery tie down's bolt.
3. I drilled a hole, to install a 1/4" nut and bolt, then used my grinder to make it pointed.
4. I cut two ea. 3/8" x 5/8" slots in the side of the plate, so it would fit over the edge of the OEM battery cross bar, as seen in photo 17.

Getting the plate level:
I slid the plate over the bent bar, so that the plate was level with the battery's 6 inch tie down bar. I marked my bent bar (while it was over the nipple). I drilled a 1/4" hole about 3/8" below my mark and installed a nut and bolt, so that the plate is both level and pushing downwards (on my bent bar), when in its final position.

Now you see how I made mine and how it works.

Though, I can see making them and giving them away, my contraption has no value and can't be re-sold like the Honda 07AAA-TZ3A100 tool. It took me 14 months to get photos posted, so don't wait for me to start an assembly line.
I'm totally down to wait. Just PM me if you ever make more.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Passport Elite Modern Steel Metallic
11 Posts
Brilliant! Thank you for posting your idea. I just pulled some scrap out of the bin and will have one fabricated by the weekend. Why didn’t I think of this?🤔
A year ago my battery went dead after being parked for a few months. Learned I couldn’t shift into neutral to roll it out of the garage. Sure wish I had this gadget then!

·
Registered
136 Posts
I recently made my own park release tool...So here are some new ideas...#1. the handle off a 1" NPT ball valve has the exact size slot to fit the transmission...Cut the long part of the handle off and weld on a 3/8" drive socket for the long extension to fi in...#2 If you lucky enough to have a Mac Tool SC28 automotive shock tool socket in your tool box like I did this will also fit the transmission end...Just add a long extension and a breaker bar...I use a 9" tarp strap on the extension handle and hook the other end to the cow vent screen and this will hold the park lever in the release position...I have several pictures I'm going to try and post below...I'm NOT real computer techy...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just found and ordered several of these sockets to try on the trans end...Will report back when they arrive....

OEMTools 25284 - OEM Automotive Tools Shock Absorber Sockets
OES-25284
Shock Absorber Socket, Steel, Chrome, 3/8 in. Drive, Each
(Mfr. #: 25284)​

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
larryd...Maybe the socket is tight enough and won't slip up & off, as the suv is being moved.
Does the 3/8" extension have any downward pressure and does it remain "vertical"? That's why I use a wing nut.

Reactions: jppelec

·
Registered
136 Posts
larryd...Maybe the socket is tight enough and won't slip up & off, as the suv is being moved.
Does the 3/8" extension have any downward pressure and does it remain "vertical"? That's why I use a wing nut.
The long extension gets pulled against part of the engine air inlet tube with the tarp strap...I only rolled my PP around the garage a little with this set up...I think it would easily stay on while being winched on a roll back, but if towed with the wheels on the ground I wouldn't trust it...larryd

·
Registered
337 Posts
. . . but if towed with the wheels on the ground I wouldn't trust it...
I would trust the Honda OEM tool, or the creative 'Rube Goldberg' device built by @carpayments4life, or the quick'n'dirty emergency solution discovered by @larryd . . .
. . . BUT . . . for v--e--r--y limited emergency use only.

Per Honda Passport Owner's Manual:

=================================================================================

Reactions: Gray_Beard

·
Registered
136 Posts
I would trust the Honda OEM tool, or the creative 'Rube Goldberg' device built by @carpayments4life, or the quick'n'dirty emergency solution discovered by @larryd . . .
. . . BUT . . . for v--e--r--y limited emergency use only.

Per Honda Passport Owner's Manual:

View attachment 10278

=================================================================================

View attachment 10279
For my tool its just a quick and easy way to get you off the road in an emergency...Can also be used for many of us home mechanics to move the vehicle around if need should we not be able to start the vehicle for some reason...larryd

21 - 31 of 31 Posts