Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy-
Just wondering what the proper order is for installing the hitch, harness and opener on my AWD Touring? It looks like I can tackle it myself. Guessing right now harness, hitch, opener? There is lots of good info here to do it. Just need to block off ~3 hours? It would be awesome if there was a true step by step on the forum. Maybe I will get inspired and attempt one since it looks like a popular topic...

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you are going to install the OEM Honda hitch then it will require that you change the bumper valance as well. The hitch kit comes with the new valance. To me, the valance was the most tricky part of the whole job. Really annoying retaining clips and barely any room to put your hands to remove and replace the top two bolts, totally doable, but a real pain for sure if you want a nice clean finish. I'm kind of particular about things so I always take my time, took about 1 1/2 Hours. Harness was the first step.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Etrailer.com has a hitch install video. Curt/Drawtite hitches appears to be an easy install. Pulling/popping plastic panels for wiring may be more of a challenge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are going to install the OEM Honda hitch then it will require that you change the bumper valance as well. The hitch kit comes with the new valance. To me, the valance was the most tricky part of the whole job. Really annoying retaining clips and barely any room to put your hands to remove and replace the top two bolts, totally doable, but a real pain for sure if you want a nice clean finish. I'm kind of particular about things so I always take my time, took about 1 1/2 Hours. Harness was the first step.
Folks seem to mention that you can skip certain steps or not remove certain parts. Seems like it would be worth while to reference these skips based on the various numerical steps provided by Honda, e.g. I didn’t remove part x on step 28 etc. Totally going to do this OEM style. Have ordered all parts. Just waiting for the harness to arrive. Got all 3 parts to do the job on my Touring for less than $400. Talked to one local garage and it sounds like they won’t touch it. I guess I could call around and find a body shop or something but figure I will tackle this myself or have a buddy help.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Very do-able if you're handy and mechanically inclined. I printed up instructions that I found online at bernardiparts.com under the listing for each component. For me, the hardest part was removing the interior trim. The bumper cover has to come off for the trailer hitch and sensor install so I'd recommend doing the hitch install first ( or at least installing the harness when the bumper cover is off). Once you have all the bumper trim pieces removed it literally pulls right off... just need to be mindful of the electrical connections for lights, sensors, etc... I took the advice of someone who posted on utube to use butter knives to release the valance from the bumper cover and they worked well (better than the trim removal toolset I have). The online directions list taping adjacent panels to prevent scratching and I'd advise doing so as its easy to mar the interior plastic, and the bumper cover is rather large if you're doing it alone so its easy for it to come in contact with painted panels. The hitch is pretty heavy so its very helpful to have a second person handy to help position it but a pair of jackstands worked to hold it in place for me. Some people have posted that the hitch can be installed without removing the bumper cover but its much easier with the cover removed and its not difficult to do. Same with the hitch harness. I have no idea how it can be installed without removing the left rear interior panel unless you know exactly where to look for the existing wiring harness. Working slowly in 40* weather in my driveway, it took me almost 3 hours including a few breaks to warm up. Oh, and a word of caution when removing the cargo anchors; the fastener is a phillips head screw but its the Japanese (?metric) version, a bit bigger than a standard #2 phillips head. The screw is torqued down ridiculously tight and I stripped one of the heads. Not the end of the world but it added a whole other step (drilling out the screw to remove the anchor). The anchors list for $25 and come with new hardware (I geeked mine when I drilled out the screw). Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
115 Posts
With regard to the hitch install, all you do is clean out the weld nut threads (6) and bolt the hitch up. Torque to spec.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hitch successfully installed. Skipped the bumper removal as others have suggested. Tried to unscrew one of those tie downs screws and said screw it and just drilled out the screws. Agree that those upper bolts and the old and new shrouds are a pain in the a$$. I managed to install the hitch myself. It wasn’t that hard. Just balanced it on my chest and managed to get a bolt started in each side started and then just slowly added bolts and slowly alternated ratcheting bolts and using extensions as needed. I did this during the Covid lockdown as time allowed since I wasn’t driving anywhere. I would say it took me a total of 2-3 hours and considering what I have seen for costs that the dealer is charging it is totally doable as a DIY if you like saving $1k and have ~$3-400 in cash and 2-3 hours available. Maybe in a post-Covid world all Passport will have hitches? Thanks for all the suggestions!!

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
191 Posts
Hitch successfully installed. Skipped the bumper removal as others have suggested. Tried to unscrew one of those tie downs screws and said screw it and just drilled out the screws.
Oh, and a word of caution when removing the cargo anchors; the fastener is a phillips head screw but its the Japanese (?metric) version, a bit bigger than a standard #2 phillips head. The screw is torqued down ridiculously tight and I stripped one of the heads. Not the end of the world but it added a whole other step (drilling out the screw to remove the anchor). The anchors list for $25 and come with new hardware (I geeked mine when I drilled out the screw).
Used my 18-V impact driver and #3 phillips bit on those two hold-down bracket screws - came right out without damage. They were definitely installed with significant torque.

Always a DIYer, never considered having dealer do this kind of labor. However, good luck finding OEM hitch + OEM wiring + OEM hands-free tailgate adapter for so cheap. If buying online and you include shipping charges & tax or finding local stealership that will even partially price match those online prices, those three items together will cost ya' about five benjamins.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Tried to unscrew one of those tie downs screws and said screw it and just drilled out the screws.
Sorry, I thought that I had previously posted but didn't. For Touring and Elite, it is not necessary to remove the tie down and left side panel. You can skip a few of the steps in the instruction for installing the harness. Without removing the left side panel, follow the instructions to remove the left storage bin and then reach up with assistance of a mirror to free the wire bundle and connector (wrapped with electrical tape to the main harness) that will connect to the towing control module.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I paid $288 delivered for the OEM kit which included the hitch and harness off Amazon. And then paid $88 delivered for the alternate kick sensor. So, got in just under $400 plus my labor. Yes, it would of been easier on my Touring to have not removed the sign panel. I just did it half way and installed most of it blind.

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
191 Posts
Well, I paid $288 delivered for the OEM kit which included the hitch and harness off Amazon. And then paid $88 delivered for the alternate kick sensor. So, got in just under $400 plus my labor. Yes, it would of been easier on my Touring to have not removed the sign panel. I just did it half way and installed most of it blind.
08L92-TGS-100 OEM Honda Passport Trailer Hitch List Price $360; Average Honda Online Discount Price $229-$299, plus shipping; $285-$300 (Ebay)
08L91-TGS-100 OEM Honda Passport Trailer Wiring List Price $225; Average Honda Online Discount Price $145-$169, plus shipping; $85-$95 (Ebay, but OEM??)
08L91-TGS-100A OEM Hands-Free Hitch Kick Adapter List Price $110; Average Honda Online Discount Price $76-$88, plus shipping; $85-$99 (Ebay)
Purchasing some of the items above at same time could save some on shipping, but note that the hitch has a shipping weight of over 40-lbs, and comes in 46 x 25 x 8 inch box, so shipping ain't cheap. Perhaps some individuals can cajole their local Honda parts dept to price match, but even assuming price match at lowest of each of these prices, and pay no shipping, and pay no tax, cost is still minimum of $450 out the door. :unsure:

Congrats to you for getting a s-t-e-a-l of a deal on the Honda OEM hitch and wiring harness.
I wish ? GOOD LUCK ? to anyone else able to duplicate your $288 (including shipping) deal, be it from Amazon, dealer, Ebay, or otherwise.

Of course, one could buy aftermarket (Curt, Draw-tite, etc) hitch for $150-$200, likewise aftermarket wiring kits for $30-$60.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
482 Posts
Honda Genuine Passport 2019 Trailer Hitch KIT 08L92-TGS-100 - O8L91-TGS-100 Amazon.com: Honda Genuine Passport 2019 Trailer Hitch KIT 08L92-TGS-100 - O8L91-TGS-100: Automotive
This is the link, if it works, for the kit off Amazon. Appears multiple vendors have been selling these with varying prices. Right now someone has it for $425 I think. I saw it as low as $275 with free shipping.
As of April 2nd, that link has only one seller offering it for $450 +49.95 shipping.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry, I thought that I had previously posted but didn't. For Touring and Elite, it is not necessary to remove the tie down and left side panel. You can skip a few of the steps in the instruction for installing the harness. Without removing the left side panel, follow the instructions to remove the left storage bin and then reach up with assistance of a mirror to free the wire bundle and connector (wrapped with electrical tape to the main harness) that will connect to the towing control module.
Were you installing the factory harness or aftermarket? If you installed the factory harness, how did you screw in the brackets to hold the harness control boxes? I'm installing the Tekonsha harness from etrailer next week. I'd love to install it without taking off the left side panel. Thanks

·
Registered
444 Posts
Were you installing the factory harness or aftermarket? If you installed the factory harness, how did you screw in the brackets to hold the harness control boxes? I'm installing the Tekonsha harness from etrailer next week. I'd love to install it without taking off the left side panel. Thanks
I installed the factory harness. Download the instructions for factory install from Bernardi Parts or one of the other OEM online sellers. Access is via removal of the bin on the left side of the vehicle and the under cargo tray. To access the factory harness and connector, a mirror to view up along the side will be helpful. The factory connector is taped around the main harness. You will need to unwrap the tape or carefully cut it to free the connector.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Silver
72 Posts
Agreed 💯% have yourself a short/stubby ratcheting 10mm wrench, (I believe it was 10mm) double check that.
Some manual dexterity, patience and calm goes hand in hand w/ this task. 5 P's, were delivered to me as a very young cook by a very good ornery chef, proper planning prevents piss-poor performance. You got this.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts