Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Elite White Diamond Pearl Orange/Black Trim Go OSU Cowboys
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Honda, or other dealers, offers an extended hitch? I bought the Honda PP hitch and height wise it is good, the problem is how short it is. My trailer is an 18’ lightweight with a short hitch extension from the front of the trailer. As I was backing the trailer I managed to unknowingly jackknife and the trailer actually dented the left rear quarter panel. I had towed this trailer over 30K with an Outback with no such problems. Difference being the PP is wider and the hitch on the Outback was about 2-3 inches longer. Suggestions?

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
134 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@PANDA I looked at the adjustable hitch extender you suggested, unfortunately I found most any extender cuts towing capacity 1/3 to 1/2. I might go with a DrawTite hitch that is longer than the Honda hitch.

·
Registered
White Diamond Pearl ****2019 Touring****
134 Posts
Sorry, didn't think about reduction of tongue capacity or towing weight on the adjustable one that I linked earlier.

However, unless your Passport has additional transmission cooler installed, you are limited to 3500-lb tow capacity anyway.

This is an example of a fixed length adapter is rated for 3500-lb, well within non-tranny-cooler-installed Passport specs.
Other non-adjustable ones are also available in shorter lengths, too.

Note: .Hitch extensions won't reduce jack-knifing when backing up, nor will they reduce fishtailing when towing. But they do give you more 'space' between trailer tongue and vehicle body.

If you go Curt or Drawtite, you'll need to reinstall the OEM full bumper cover-insert because they are 3+ inches lower, exiting below the stock bumper, instead of 'through' it. Likely you can resell your Honda hitch with it's insert for more than you pay for your aftermarket hitch.

Curt/Drawtite hitches only extend about 2.5 to 3-inches further out than Honda branded hitch. Is that enough?

Good luck with whichever direction you decide to go, and let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the additional info. Yes, just a couple of inches for more “space”. And, when I put the dent in the car my spotter, wife, was on the other side. I didn’t have this problem with my Outback so I think more “space” is what I need. BTW, I do have the AT cooler so I’m good for 5000.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You might try shopping around for a longer ball mount bar. I've found them online at e-trailer.com. Might add just enough length without cutting capacity to help your trailer clearance. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts