Honda Passport Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well took a 320 mile trip yesterday to move my daughter out of college. Passport was fully loaded with all her crap. (she's going to France for 5 months starting in Jan) Gorilla tape is amazing stuff, expensive but looks like it will last a long time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well good to hear that the parts are in. Doubt it’s related but made a turn and hit a bump at the same time and…pop goes the windshield. 2 parallel cracks about an inch apart right down the center in front of the camera. About 10” long right now.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sorry to hear this. It is nice driving a taller vehicle when the "deer hits the fan".
Glad you and your Lab are fine.
Hope they get it fixed up right for you.

Cheers!
MJ

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
So I dropped the PP off Monday morning. I removed my gutter guard mods for condenser protection by pulling the engine cover and didn't see any surprises. It's Wednesday and the PP hasn't moved since I dropped it off. I hope this isn't going to turn into a saga.:confused:. There are quite a few cars parked on the grounds there behind the fence so I wouldn't think my case gets a high priority. Could be worse.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
So, I've been driving by the body shop since it's only about 2 miles form my house. I get text updates with a Carwise link saying it will be ready on Friday. Today I drive by and see the PP sitting outside. I'm like damn can't they at least put it behind the fence and why aren't they telling me it's ready? It's parked between a CX-9 and a Mini Cooper.

So when out at dinner time I drive by before they close and I see them pull it into the garage, sweet. Then my daughter calls so I stay in my parking spot at a mall across the street and while I'm chatting they take it out and drive pretty fast down the street. White smoke coming from the tailpipes (single digits here today) Now I'm pissed. I did sign my life away when I dropped the car off and they have the right to drive it but this is BS taking the PP out after closing time. I assumed someone took it home but I wait and they come back about 15 minutes later and pull it into the garage. One thing for sure, the replacement headlight does not match the light output of the good one. According to the estimate it's a TYC manufactured headlight but clearly when looking at it head on they weren't even. I'm sure this is going to drive me nuts so it's either pay out of pocket for a Honda headlight or cut my losses and trade the PP in for something else. Or I'll give it to my daughter and sell her CRV for a stripped pickup. I've already had a Ridgeline and it wasn't the right size. Bed a little short and rear passenger room not ideal. I'd take a bigger bed and give up rear passenger room.

Funny thing too is when looking at the estimate there are only about 5 parts that needed to be ordered. They were Honda part numbers except for the headlight and bumper cover. There is labor to repair the fender where the tip is bent up. The rest were remove and reinstall. All minor in the scheme of things but the disrespect. I probably have dashcam footage from my RAV and I also have a dash cam in the PP. It will be interesting to play it back and see where they went. This is a time when maybe it would be a good idea to have one of those Apple air tags, ha ha.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So, I've been driving by the body shop since it's only about 2 miles form my house. I get text updates with a Carwise link saying it will be ready on Friday. Today I drive by and see the PP sitting outside. I'm like damn can't they at least put it behind the fence and why aren't they telling me it's ready? It's parked between a CX-9 and a Mini Cooper.

So when out at dinner time I drive by before they close and I see them pull it into the garage, sweet. Then my daughter calls so I stay in my parking spot at a mall across the street and while I'm chatting they take it out and drive pretty fast down the street. White smoke coming from the tailpipes (single digits here today) Now I'm pissed. I did sign my life away when I dropped the car off and they have the right to drive it but this is BS taking the PP out after closing time. I assumed someone took it home but I wait and they come back about 15 minutes later and pull it into the garage. One thing for sure, the replacement headlight does not match the light output of the good one. According to the estimate it's a TYC manufactured headlight but clearly when looking at it head on they weren't even. I'm sure this is going to drive me nuts so it's either pay out of pocket for a Honda headlight or cut my losses and trade the PP in for something else. Or I'll give it to my daughter and sell her CRV for a stripped pickup. I've already had a Ridgeline and it wasn't the right size. Bed a little short and rear passenger room not ideal. I'd take a bigger bed and give up rear passenger room.

Funny thing too is when looking at the estimate there are only about 5 parts that needed to be ordered. They were Honda part numbers except for the headlight and bumper cover. There is labor to repair the fender where the tip is bent up. The rest were remove and reinstall. All minor in the scheme of things but the disrespect. I probably have dashcam footage from my RAV and I also have a dash cam in the PP. It will be interesting to play it back and see where they went. This is a time when maybe it would be a good idea to have one of those Apple air tags, ha ha.

They probably went to grab a bite to eat and took the best car in the shop. I hate it too whenever I discover that shop staff took my car out on what appears to be personal trips. I once had a car in the shop to replace a door lock actuator but I had to give them hell when I came to pick it up and found the mileage was 58 miles higher than when I dropped it, someone got fired for that.

I suggest you file a complaint with the shop manager.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Got the PP back today. Body work was decent. Color on the painted plastic bumper cover acceptable. Fender repair not perfect but better than a new fender. The fit around the headlight is a little off compared to the good side The black plastic bits were OEM so sweet. Headlight is a disaster. It looks unfocused like a rainbow that's one color. It's coverage is less. I thought I'd simply aim it but noticed it was dirty. When I tried to clean it there's a section that's dirty on the inside!! It projects a shadow like there is a plane flying over an area over the coverage. It never leaves. This means that the bumper comes off etc. to get it fixed. At a loss, don't know if I should live with it or deal with a potential run around. I really want a Honda light if they're going to pull the bumper off. They could send me to one of their other shops, there is no lifetime warranty on an aftermarket part just the parts warranty.

I played back the dash cam footage and there was a lot of footage. Looks like the E brake froze! I must say that these folks are somewhat professional compared to folks at the Honda dealership. They were on the serious side and I get the impression that they actually cared about my car. Last night they had 3 guys working on it (as a team!) to calibrate the radar. Scan tool, tape measures, some sort device to aim toward. There was some sort of problem because they started to dismantle the front end a bit. The drive that pissed me off last night was to test it's calibration. I didn't appreciate when the guy asked his co-worker if he wanted to come for the ride to see if they could "wreck it" but that was just for fun. The guy drives no worse than me. This morning they took it out on the highway for an exit to test the adaptive cruise. And yesterday they filled it up with gas. Blinkers, no radio no cell phone calls, pleased.

I didn't think any of the safety bits needed to be touched because there was no damage there but Honda requires a calibration when there is a collision. The calibration was probably close to $500 of the overall cost. It did not look easy, even for a pro. I drove it a little bit and the lane departure warning works and I got zero false brake alarms. Could it possibly be better? Didn't take any pics yet.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Non OEM lights always have such flaws, it will nag me for a while if I'm in the same situation but I can live with it as long as it does not leak or trap moisture. And it might be the angle of the shot but the painted bumper color does not seem to match the fender color, however, it's only noticeable if you are looking for the repair work.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yeah, the paint on the plastic never seems to match the paint on the metal but overall, no worries. I'm amazed how they got the fender back into shape and blended the paint It's been really cold here hope that doesn't hurt the process. I guess I'll live with the headlight. I had to buy a Phillips long enough to reach the adjustment slot.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So it's been a 2 weeks. I re aimed the headlight and it's much better. The shadow from the dirt isn't an issue anymore but the color is off. I'll live with it. Still, zero false brake warning alarms which is a welcome fix. Lane departure seems to work as before. Since the radar and the camera weren't involved with the deer hit I think there's a fix for everyone with the false brake alarm problems. I put the condenser protector bits back on (not fun to be doing this in a cold garage) and hopefully that's the end of this chapter.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Man, you have been thru the refiners fire on this deer encounter. So glad to see things are finally getting normal again for you.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts