could be worse! Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
2019 White Diamond Pearl , AWD Sport
601 Posts
Oh no! Glad you are okay!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,748 Posts
Oh crap! Sounds like you are ok? How’s Bambi? 🦌

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I actually had my chocolate lab with me, he slept through the whole thing, his is 14 years and 4 months, it was his daily drive. At first I thought "Bambi" might have made it with a graze as he was running across the front of car but when I played back the dashcam footage the deer was at an angle where he was slightly running towards the car. We were going around 40 mph and it wasn't a direct hit so maybe there's a chance.

I drive that road every day with the dog and there are deer signs all over so shame on me for being out there at dusk. I've had many sightings and close calls over the years. I think it's mating season I hit one about 10 years ago in a CRV minor damage but my lab was in the windshield on that one.:(

·
Super Moderator
2019 Passport Elite, Modern Steel (4/2019)
2,748 Posts
WOW - You and your Labrador are very lucky!

My friend in Astoria has deer all over her neighborhood, I haven’t seen any in Newport.
But up there they barely even move if you are driving down their roads!

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
2020 Honda Elite AWD & 2007 S2000 AP2
59 Posts
I hit one years ago in my Acura 3.2 TL, I was doing only 15mph and the deer went flying about 10 in front of the car and got up and ran off. Lost the front right headlight and damaged my hood and grill. The Acura dealer said that it would be about ~ $2,400 to fix. I didn't want to claim it on my auto insurance, so I went to a highly recommended repair shop and they did it for $1,200.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now the waiting game starts. An adjuster coming to my house tomorrow as no Geico approved shops can even take a look. When I hit a deer 10 years ago, I called Geico went to one of their repair shops picked up a rental car and picked up my repaired car 2 days later. Now it's probably going to be weeks just to be seen and then weeks to wait for parts.

Fortunately, I taped up the damage and went for a 35 mile highway drive and everything seems to be working so now that Passport is going everywhere. The adjuster mentioned that deer hits always spike this time of year and given the supply chain issues, they simply can't keep up. I'm hoping to be done come spring.:oops:. What worries me is my wife takes those same roads every day for work. Maybe she should just use the Passport now instead of her brand new RAV. Life is ironic, I purchased two new cars over the summer mostly because I didn't want anyone driving the Passport.

·
Registered
60 Posts
That looks about “best scenario” for hitting a deer! Hope you have a great body shop nearby to make your PP look good as new.

·
Registered
Deep Scarlet Pearl *2019 Elite AWD*
511 Posts
Glad to hear your OK and your lab!
I think it's safe to say that your hood is not included in the latch recall. :unsure:

Reactions: 14v6

·
Registered
2021 Passport Elite Platinum White Pearl, 2008 Pilot EXL (previously)
40 Posts
Oh man, that sucks, but cars can be repaired or replaced.
Deer are an absolute menace.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That looks about “best scenario” for hitting a deer! Hope you have a great body shop nearby to make your PP look good as new.
Not so sure, I thought a right side bumper cover and some of the black plastic bits but I think the fender is involved. The headlight was pushed up slightly and the gap is too big at the tip where the fender meets the hood and that little tip of the fender is higher than the hood. The pics don't capture it well. I think the radiator and condenser are fine. The seam at the fender and the driver's door is fine so hopefully the adjuster will be able to make a determination tomorrow.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I like how you stated the Passport is a tank, so true, I've been using that phrase as well, when I tell people why I go rip around in the snow with it, glad you are okay and nothing worst happened.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got mine in September. Same thing, saw her but couldn't react quick enough. In my case it happened Sunday in NC and I had to be back in NYS on Tuesday. Gorilla taped it up made the 11 hour drive with no issues. The adjuster came Wednesday morning had the check the following Monday...then the supply chain issue kicked in. In the end it was about 3 weeks the biggest problem was a $5 plastic bracket that the senser behind the H. Mine ended up $4500+

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The adjuster showed up at my home yesterday, 3,100 bucks. Needs headlight and and the bumper bits fender apparently ok. He printed a check made out to the repair shop which I brought over today. They can't get me in until the end of January 25 and that's just to look at it. There seems to be some confusion at the repair place at first they said I couldn't even be put on the schedule but I was put on the schedule when I called. When they saw the check they seemed to be more cooperative. I hate this it's the good old case of the more hands that touch something the more messed up it gets. I don't understand why they aren't ordering parts now. They took a look and said it's ok to drive. I had duct taped it and drove on the highway no issues so I just purchased some Gorilla tape for the long wait. Plan on moving my daughter out of college on Monday as she will be going to France next semester so hoping this all holds up. Now I feel like the Passport is sacrificial and since it has snows and our other cars don't might as well use it for everyting.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The adjuster showed up at my home yesterday, 3,100 bucks. Needs headlight and and the bumper bits fender apparently ok. He printed a check made out to the repair shop which I brought over today. They can't get me in until the end of January 25 and that's just to look at it. There seems to be some confusion at the repair place at first they said I couldn't even be put on the schedule but I was put on the schedule when I called. When they saw the check they seemed to be more cooperative. I hate this it's the good old case of the more hands that touch something the more messed up it gets. I don't understand why they aren't ordering parts now. They took a look and said it's ok to drive. I had duct taped it and drove on the highway no issues so I just purchased some Gorilla tape for the long wait. Plan on moving my daughter out of college on Monday as she will be going to France next semester so hoping this all holds up. Now I feel like the Passport is sacrificial and since it has snows and our other cars don't might as well use it for everyting.
That’s a bummer having to wait that long and they’re not even ordering the parts now. Not sure what the difference is (state law,insurance co). mine the check was made out to me. In my case the adjuster called the body shop and the started ordering the parts off his estimate. I needed the front fender plus the aluminum bar behind the bumper cover.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That’s a bummer having to wait that long and they’re not even ordering the parts now. Not sure what the difference is (state law,insurance co). mine the check was made out to me. In my case the adjuster called the body shop and the started ordering the parts off his estimate. I needed the front fender plus the aluminum bar behind the bumper cover.
It all seems shady to me you get a different answer from everyone you speak to. In your case, I'm surprised that your condenser was spared considering you need the bar. I actually looked up a video of a Passport bumper removal and on my bumper cover I can see the outlines of the substantial metal bits. They appear to be in tact. The adjuster mentioned that if they have to blend the fender with the paint that's were the differences of opinon start as to how far towards the back they want to blend.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It all seems shady to me you get a different answer from everyone you speak to. In your case, I'm surprised that your condenser was spared considering you need the bar. I actually looked up a video of a Passport bumper removal and on my bumper cover I can see the outlines of the substantial metal bits. They appear to be in tact. The adjuster mentioned that if they have to blend the fender with the paint that's were the differences of opinon start as to how far towards the back they want to blend.
The doe tried to stop and dropped her head and it took out the headlight and front fender A few inches more and it would have been a center punch. The impact knocked the H off and also poped the amber blinker bulb out of the socket but it never broke the bulb. After the hit the poor girl ended up about 40’ down the road

1 - 20 of 32 Posts