Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Need to tap into the wealth of knowledge of the folks on the forum - I sent a very long email on Sunday night to the owner of the dealership and others, etc on the saga with this vehicle. Just got off the phone with him. He is going to exchange my Passport for a brand new one, transfer over all my accessories and handle all of the paperwork. He called the paperwork process a VIN swap. Says they do this twice a year. Is this all on the up and up? I look at it this way, I signed my life away for my problem child Passport VIN number. I owe the finance company full payment on my problem child Passport VIN number. My current insurance is in my problem child Passport VIN number. My Honda Care policy that I purchased is with my problem child Passport VIN number. I actually have the first payment bill for my problem child Passport VIN number.... notice a pattern here . :) Sorry....I am trying to keep my sanity with all of this. I purchased the Passport on July 3rd and here is it August 3rd and my Passport is not sitting outside my house.

He said he could handle all the paperwork changes...Don't I have to sell him the vehicle back to him in order to get the new one? I still envision signing all the same paperwork that I signed last time all over again in order for this new Passport to be owned by me....or really..the bank until I have it paid off....then it becomes mine. :)

He said there is still a sound in the back and he could keep working on it or exchange this car for a new one. I asked him how much mileage is on the exchange car since the one I purchased on had 12 miles on it. He did not know. He offered to flat bed the exchange car out but I want to do a checkout at his place with him present to make sure there is NOTHING wrong with the car. I expressed how this entire car buying process has been horible and how this car should have never left the lot with me on July 3rd.

Is there a way to look at the VIN number and determine when the Passport was manufactured and it is the red color. I searched high and low in a 4 hours radius when I purchased this car to find a red passport. He was the only dealer that had one. My mind quickly thought up the idea the dealer grab a car off the lot and gave it a paint job. It will be interesting to see when this was made as compared to my problem child Passport.

Based on all of this, thoughts on where the broken glass took place? Factory? His place?

Thank you for reading this far and thank you for providing your comments and insight with all of this.

Registered
2019 Sport Silver
I would be flipping my shit right now. Makes me wonder exactly what the dealership's knowledge and involvement is in the situation. They certainly are going above and beyond to fix a "factory fault". Make sure the swap is what you want, vins match the transfer of ownership. At this point I would question everything they say and offer. " He doesn't know" WTF? How do you not know? Have you not been following the saga? Maybe that's the problem...馃, Accountability. Hold them to it. You can decide thereafter if you want to contact the better business bureau. There is absolutely a way to search the VIN and origin/mfg. date. Ask for it. This story keeps getting better....Grabbing the popcorn!

Super Moderator
If you financed, the loan was made against a certain VIN, and the title mailed to the Lien Holder, would it void the loan? Will you have to reapply?

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
StevenD - my first bill from the finance company has the vin number right on the bill....I'll be making phone calls today to the finance company, insurance company, etc to find out more info
Cheferman65 - yes...grab some popcorn...this movie has been playing since july 3rd....agree on checking paperwork with vin numbers, plus taking the proposed swap out for a test drive to make sure all the systems function...the saga continues

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Cheferman65- here is the rest of the movie for your popcorn. :)

Hopefully this saga as finally come to an end. Drove 2 hours back out the dealer this morning with the Pilot that was loaned on July 24th. Arrived at the dealer and asked to see one of the owners, who I had talked to earlier in the week. Wait...wait...wait...wait....meanwhile I spy a red Passport sitting outside the door..without mud flaps and without crossbars. Told my wife I think they are going to say that one is mine...Finally General Manager shows up, apologizes for the owner not being there...he is in a meeting...and our car is all ready to go. Head out the car with the original salesman and I begin to tell him where are my crossbars and flaps?...He is confused and I show him the photo I posted on this forum after I installed my mud flaps earlier in July. They did move over my WT mats and cargo cover..but not the crossbars and flaps???.. "Won't take long to put those on, we can do it during the paperwork"... So I take it out for a test drive....the auto-off feature doesn;t work...and I did not get what I call the lane keeping feature to work....

Get back the dealer and tell them the problems...Owner finally comes out and says hi...said they had to cancel my extended warranty that I purchased online and he was going to sell me a new one for $100 less that what I paid...I guess that is how they were going to make it up to me????.....Salesman gets in the car with us and he tries to get the auto-off feature to work...Nope..doesn't work for him either...into the shop the car goes to get the crossbars and mud flaps installed. The "system" needed to be reset in order to get the auto off feature to work. Head out for lunch (remember, this was supposed to be a very quick swap)...back after lunch and take the car back out to test it again. Finally the auto off feature works. Lane keeper works now...guess I needed to be running highway speed to make it work...I check the power fold down feature for the rear seats. Driver side.- Yes....passenger side - Nope.... not working...

Get back the dealer and tell them still problem with the car - (seems to be a reoccuring theme here :) ).....Salesman tries it..yup..doesn't work..back to the service department - turns out the wire connection under the seat was not fully engaged...now it works.... Now with everything in working order, we finally make it into the finance guys office to start the paperwork. Extended warranty dealer was supposed to have charged me sale tax but did not. Bottom line - I got my extended warranty for $7 cheaper. Car loan was a different story. I guess Honda is running a special. Instead of the 1.9%, the new rate is 0.9%.... so savings there.... Neither theGeneral Manager nor Owner came out to say goodbye at the end. Signed all the paperwork. Dealer will have to cancel the title with the state, refile the car loan, etc...

Original saleman was good through all of this. Management of the dealership leaves a lot to be desired...

I thought about telling them how I felt through all of this and where they were lacking, but when I saw they did not even come out to say goodbye, I determined it was not worth it. All I would be doing is wasting my time.

So, now I have a Passport sitting in my driveway. May I not have to make any two hour return trips. This will all be a perfect case study material on customer service. .. or lack of customer service....

Oh...and no rocks in the hatch anymore. :)

Thank you to everyone that has followed this saga and provided comments.....

Super Moderator
WoW, any tornadoes headed your way?

Seriously, I'm glad you got a working vehicle...!

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
No... there were tornadoes that were behind us as we left this morning to head to the dealership which is East of where we lived. Saw the very dark clouds in the rearview mirror...

I too am glad to have a working vehicle...glad they did not flat bed the new one to me as was offered by the owner...had that occurred, the saga would still be going on..how many star wars movies were made?..... Cheferman65 would have run out of popcorn. :):)

Registered
2019 Sport Silver
lol, you sir have the patience of a saint. I sincerely hope that all is well and right in your world, the PP is perfect and there aren't any further shenanigans! You deserve it! It blows my mind and saddens me heart... the lack of care and attention to customer service, especially with the given situation and circumstances. Quarter Master Neil would have keelhauled the owner and had the GM drawn and quartered. The PP is a fabulous vehicle, it's unfortunate you had the displeasure of something that should have never happened and could and should have been dealt with much better. Moving forward, I would completely eviscerate the dealership, name names and leave them a scathing review on any and all platforms presented.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts