Honda Passport Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past few days of using the remote start, with the outside temperature in the low 20 degrees, My heat doesn’t come on.
After 10 minutes there is still frost in the front windshield and rear window, seats are ice cold and the steering wheel hasn’t warmed up either. Each day when I leave my Passport, I leave the heat and defroster on high, the seats on warm and the steering wheel heat on. Does anyone know how to set the heat from remote starting?

·
Registered
161 Posts
The past few days of using the remote start, with the outside temperature in the low 20 degrees, My heat doesn’t come on.
After 10 minutes there is still frost in the front windshield and rear window, seats are ice cold and the steering wheel hasn’t warmed up either. Each day when I leave my Passport, I leave the heat and defroster on high, the seats on warm and the steering wheel heat on. Does anyone know how to set the heat from remote starting?
It should work in temps that cold, and bring the car to room temp or so, but the sad and frustrating thing is Honda chooses so many things for the user on this vehicle. You cannot choose how the heater, defroster, seats warmer, and steering wheel heater respond to remote start. A thermostat and Honda software chooses for you. Your last settings have zero bearing on how everything comes on after a remote start. A sensor in the seats means the heat will not turn on without weight- don't know if steering wheel heats when not occupied as I don't have that in the Touring, but my seats have never been toasty after a remote start and the heater is always on some lukewarm or cool temp, as is the defrost. I like a toasty car when I warm it up, but this car cannot typically provide that unless you start it yourself normally and set everything to heat manually. The thermostat and sensors are going to dictate what the car does, not your choices. In my experience, the thermostat and logic is garbage since it reads way off when parked and can be much warmer than outside. At least the engine is warm and you can get hot air immediately.

This nanny approach is one of the things I loathe about the current Honda corporate design attitude and this vehicle- they are making really dumb decisions for the user with their software and some hardware choices. There are a few features implemented poorly that drive me nuts on an otherwise really nice vehicle. You learn to live with them I guess.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am grateful my Elite does what it does to start the heating /cooling process. In the cold weather my seat heaters are in the medium setting. My steering wheel heats without the on indicator light being lit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My Sport model does. The seats are warm and the steering wheel is too. The lights don't show until you actually start it and the steering wheel turn off then. I believe it only does it below a certain temperature and frost temperature should certainly be cold enough. What I don't like is the fan comes on on high, just blowing col air around and robbing the engine of heat when it's cold. It won't warm much that way until you drive it.

Best of luck.
Mike D.

·
Registered
2019 Elite Black Forest
111 Posts
It should work in temps that cold, and bring the car to room temp or so, but the sad and frustrating thing is Honda chooses so many things for the user on this vehicle. You cannot choose how the heater, defroster, seats warmer, and steering wheel heater respond to remote start. A thermostat and Honda software chooses for you. Your last settings have zero bearing on how everything comes on after a remote start. A sensor in the seats means the heat will not turn on without weight- don't know if steering wheel heats when not occupied as I don't have that in the Touring, but my seats have never been toasty after a remote start and the heater is always on some lukewarm or cool temp, as is the defrost. I like a toasty car when I warm it up, but this car cannot typically provide that unless you start it yourself normally and set everything to heat manually. The thermostat and sensors are going to dictate what the car does, not your choices. In my experience, the thermostat and logic is garbage since it reads way off when parked and can be much warmer than outside. At least the engine is warm and you can get hot air immediately.

This nanny approach is one of the things I loathe about the current Honda corporate design attitude and this vehicle- they are making really dumb decisions for the user with their software and some hardware choices. There are a few features implemented poorly that drive me nuts on an otherwise really nice vehicle. You learn to live with them I guess.
I agree- last setting doesn't make any difference. I think Honda's idea of a warmup is blowing lukewarm air out of the front defrosters, turn on heated mirrors and rear defroster- not sure if the heated steering wheel or seats are included- that being said, I can still get in and make the manual adjustments and get heat quicker, of which I'm grateful for. It would be nice though to have a more aggressive option.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys and girls for the info. Honda’s idea of “AI” (artificial intelligence) is about 10 years behind anyone else. I traded in a 2012 Toyota Venza that when using the Remote start the defrosting heater and seats were perfect after 10 minutes. The frost on my windshield after 10 minutes of running is a joke. Not too pleased with this Elite.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would have the dealer check it out. My 2020 EX-L turns the blower on high, rear window and mirror defrost on and seats to medium. Once I press the start button, everything goes off except the seats (at first I thought the car was shutting off it got so quiet with the blower shutting off). We haven't hit hard winter yet here but I would expect it to do the same in even colder weather.
My only complaints..range seems very short and no verifying beep or light on the remote that it actually started. If the vehicle is out of view you can't see the lights flash. I got spoiled with my 2 way remote on another car, it would give you a visual light and beep that it had started.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD, Gray/Blk
26 Posts
So when I use my remote start on my 2020 PP Touring, the climate control starts to whatever temperature I had it set to last and the heated seats turn on as well. I didn't touch any settings to do it. I haven't even looked in the settings section on the radio unit. May want to check there or see if your dealership can set it up for you. Not sure if that's even an option there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I tried my CRV Touring once and it never worked, I knew a lady that had one it would not heat the car at all in a 2018 CRV got rid of it. I never tried it in the PP. it would probably be an other disappointment in Hondas paid for that don't work electronics.......

·
Registered
161 Posts
So when I use my remote start on my 2020 PP Touring, the climate control starts to whatever temperature I had it set to last and the heated seats turn on as well. I didn't touch any settings to do it. I haven't even looked in the settings section on the radio unit. May want to check there or see if your dealership can set it up for you. Not sure if that's even an option there.
That is interesting. Perhaps 2020 and later is different but the manual was not updated? For 2019 Touring, you definitely cannot control the heat settings for remote start or use your last settings.

The 2019-2021 manuals are identical in this regard and suggest Honda is doing the choosing for you still. Maybe yours is broken in a good way? Maybe the manual did not get a needed 2020/21 update?

2021 manual page 397
When it is cold outside:
• The defroster is activated at a moderately warm temperature.
• The rear defogger and door mirror heaters* are activated.
• The seat heaters* and heated steering wheel* are activated.

No mention of what Honda thinks "cold" is but I strongly object to them thinking they should choose for us. I have also proven by experimentation that the temperature sensor is fooled by parking on asphalt or a badly insulated garage. When it is below 20F out something I could certainly call cold, the car thinks it is much warmer until driving for a bit. The heater logic and controls really are one of the worst pieces of design on this car, along with Sensing which has its own issues, and the stupid dome light logic preventing using the center dome light manually out of 'door' setting. If it didn't drive so nicely and offer comfort, I might be drawn elsewhere to escape some of the terrible electronic sub systems. Problem is other manufacturers have unreliable cars or way out of date tech too, and not a good driving feel. Still waiting on someone to make the features, comfort and value of a Hyundai/Kia with the reliability of a Honda/Toyota.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD, Gray/Blk
26 Posts
That is interesting. Perhaps 2020 and later is different but the manual was not updated? For 2019 Touring, you definitely cannot control the heat settings for remote start or use your last settings.

The 2019-2021 manuals are identical in this regard and suggest Honda is doing the choosing for you still. Maybe yours is broken in a good way? Maybe the manual did not get a needed 2020/21 update?

2021 manual page 397
When it is cold outside:
• The defroster is activated at a moderately warm temperature.
• The rear defogger and door mirror heaters* are activated.
• The seat heaters* and heated steering wheel* are activated.

No mention of what Honda thinks "cold" is but I strongly object to them thinking they should choose for us. I have also proven by experimentation that the temperature sensor is fooled by parking on asphalt or a badly insulated garage. When it is below 20F out something I could certainly call cold, the car thinks it is much warmer until driving for a bit. The heater logic and controls really are one of the worst pieces of design on this car, along with Sensing which has its own issues, and the stupid dome light logic preventing using the center dome light manually out of 'door' setting. If it didn't drive so nicely and offer comfort, I might be drawn elsewhere to escape some of the terrible electronic sub systems. Problem is other manufacturers have unreliable cars or way out of date tech too, and not a good driving feel. Still waiting on someone to make the features, comfort and value of a Hyundai/Kia with the reliability of a Honda/Toyota.
maybe. So i usually work overnights and when I remote start my PP, i come back out 10 mins later and everything is on. I just used it a few days ago. Outside temp was 39 degrees and the heated seats,front and rear defrosters, sideview mirrors and climate control were all on to my last setting. Dunno what to say. It was a nice touch. Fyi, my ram 1500 does the same thing too

·
Registered
2020 Passport Elite
8 Posts
Thought it was just me. Now I need to read the manual on the remote start capabilities. I was a little confused myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used the remote start on my 2020 EX-L a half a dozen times and have had no issues. Front and rear defrost turns on, mirror heaters go on and the seat heaters turn on to high.
Of course, I also walk to the mailbox in a tee shirt and gym shorts when it is below zero, and don't wear a winter coat till it gets into the single digits, so maybe I'm not hte best judge of how well it works

1 - 13 of 13 Posts